Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance... again!

Baggage allowance... again!

Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Baggage allowance... again!

Situation: I have an unstamped residence visa, partner is a returning kiwi having lived in the UK for 20 years (2 visits back to NZ-last one 2 years ago) and both kids have British and NZ passports (NZ passports havent been used yet).

I contacted Singapore airlines to inquire about additional baggage allowance and was told the following:

Kindly be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in New Zealand indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to additional baggage allowance of 20 kilos, per passenger (adult & child from London/Manchester only).

This additional baggage allowance is only granted on your first use of the visa hence our requirement for it to be unstamped, the visa will be verified by our check-in staff on your day of departure.

My reply was to explain my partners and childrens circumstances thinking that they would be classed as migrants, and got the following reply:

Kindly be advised only if you meet the requirement mentioned below you will be entitled to migrant baggage allowance at the airport.

If you do not meet the requirement for migrant baggage allowance, we can authorise 5 kilos extra baggage allowance as a goodwill gesture for each passenger.

I am still confused-anyone been in a similar situation and able to clarify whether my partner and kids are entitled to an extra 20kg each?

Bev
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage allowance... again!

Hi Bev,

I would say that they do not qualify as they are not travelling on a visa but as NZ citizens. Sorry!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:11 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

We travelled in april not sure if things have changed but I was traveling on a toursit visa as my visa had only just been approved in principal and I had not had time to get my passport stamped and my husband was a returning kiwi (overseas for 10 years) we travelled via america and had to clear customs there, but we were allowed two 23kg bags each plus hand luggage our (british/kiwi) daughter who was 9months at the time was also allowed hand luggage as well as her car seat and buggy. Apart from it being a pain travelling with that much luggage I would travel via the US again.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:32 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Your partner and children are simply air-travellers on normal passports with no visas of any kind, only you seem to qualify for the concession.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:56 pm
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice
Smile Re: Baggage allowance... again!

Not any help whatsoever to you so apologies for that but I just wanted to say that your posting regarding the additional 5kgs granted 'as a goodwill gesture' inspired me to get in touch with SA (as I am flying out with them on Thursday) and plead my case of "i've got a working holiday visa but i plan to make this a permanent move with a job offer etc etc" and they have granted me an additional 5kgs.

So THANK YOU to you as I have been struggling with getting down to a bare minimum of 23kgs and was desperate not to have to leave anything else behind.

Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by VickyVN
Not any help whatsoever to you so apologies for that but I just wanted to say that your posting regarding the additional 5kgs granted 'as a goodwill gesture' inspired me to get in touch with SA (as I am flying out with them on Thursday) and plead my case of "i've got a working holiday visa but i plan to make this a permanent move with a job offer etc etc" and they have granted me an additional 5kgs.

So THANK YOU to you as I have been struggling with getting down to a bare minimum of 23kgs and was desperate not to have to leave anything else behind.

Awwwh, I'm glad I was of some use. Good luck with your move. Where are you flying to?
Looks like I'll have to resign myself to sneak some of my OH extra 5kgs..... A lady needs her essentials!!!

Bev
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BevK
Awwwh, I'm glad I was of some use. Good luck with your move. Where are you flying to?
Looks like I'll have to resign myself to sneak some of my OH extra 5kgs..... A lady needs her essentials!!!

Bev
No!!! don't do it, unless you want the embarasment like us at Heathrow redoing suitcases and being given stripey plastic bags to put our stuff in. Oh and the £550 excess threat was not good. Got charged in Sydney for extra. They do have washing machines here. Have a look at my post sleep to go. I would def leave clothing for shipping and pack things like a travel iron instead. I got told by the airline that it was up to check in staff, don't trust that as they are so tight, we were not the only one's at check in having to re-pack

Good luck
Kaz
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by babybella
No!!! don't do it, unless you want the embarasment like us at Heathrow redoing suitcases and being given stripey plastic bags to put our stuff in. Oh and the £550 excess threat was not good. Got charged in Sydney for extra. They do have washing machines here. Have a look at my post sleep to go. I would def leave clothing for shipping and pack things like a travel iron instead. I got told by the airline that it was up to check in staff, don't trust that as they are so tight, we were not the only one's at check in having to re-pack

Good luck
Kaz
Hi Kaz. I wouldnt risk it unless it was confirmed on my booking. Singapore airlines request the reservation number of your booking to ensure the check in staff are aware of it. Otherwise I wont take the chance unless its in black and white. Thanks for the warning though.

Bev
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:49 pm
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice

Originally Posted by BevK

Bev
Flying out from Heathrow tomorrow at 18:30 and stopping off in Singapore for a few days eventually arriving into Auckland at 22:30 on 22nd August. So chuffed it's finally come around. Have been itching to get back to NZ since December 2009.