British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Badgers, foxes and stuff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/badgers-foxes-stuff-596666/)

zoglet Mar 10th 2009 5:18 pm

Badgers, foxes and stuff

Ok don't laugh it is a serious question. :)

Do you get foxes and badgers and stuff like that in NZ?

Yes, I am a dum foreigner! :)

zoglet Mar 10th 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Badgers, foxes and stuff

perhaps I should explain that, long term, I want to raise some chickens and from that thought I started wondering about badgers too! :)

zummerzet_lou Mar 10th 2009 7:27 pm

No foxes or squirrels .. and I don't think badgers either?

You do however get possum, which I think kill chickens.

teebrown Mar 10th 2009 8:00 pm

Thank you for asking, I too was wondering what they don't have over there and they do here. Anything else??

TurnersNZ Mar 10th 2009 8:18 pm

Only Animals in New Zealand are introduced species from Europe and one couple refuges from over the ditch including some birds. Sadly the Squirrel, Badger and Fox are not one of them.

The biggest problem you will get with Chooks (I mean Chickens:rofl:) are probably going to be Wild Cats, Weasels , Stoats, Rats, Mice and Possum. Saying that we live very rural near a National Park and several Department of Conservation Reserves and have not seen a possum for years:thumbup:

Oh and I forgot to mention outside of Europe New Zealand is the only country to have the European Hedgehog which is a pest for Eggs.

Pretty much all the species of bird you used to in the UK can be found here thriving, the Thrush is the one that seems to do particulary well here.

Up until Mankind hit these island couple hundred years ago there was no mammals on these islands and as cute as you pet moggy and Doppy Dog is they are not welcome in the National Parks where the Native Flightless Birds live. Got enough problems with the Rats, mice, stoats etc desimating the nest of these ground hugging birdies.

Hope that helps

teebrown Mar 10th 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks for that, that's really interesting, well you learn something new everyday.

zoglet Mar 10th 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks everyone for contributing; some very interesting details!

Another question for you. What is the mosquito situation like? We should be in Auckland by the middle of April, are they still a nuisance then and in general?

:D

pricklykina Mar 11th 2009 3:44 am

depends where you live. You get used to them. Try not to live by standing water perahps. You get used to the bites too but new visitors often have a greater reaction to start with. Just use a plug in mossie repellent indoors.

TurnersNZ Mar 11th 2009 9:57 am

Dont go to Fijordland down in the south island for Mossies :)

Rumour has it that there ae some big buggas down there that will suck you blood out in one bite :rofl:

Well an american got sucked in (excuse the pun) into believing that once :blink:

Sandflies now they will eat you for lunch and have you for a snack afterwards in some areas :thumbsup: