Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Badgers, foxes and stuff

Badgers, foxes and stuff

Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Badgers, foxes and stuff

Ok don't laugh it is a serious question.

Do you get foxes and badgers and stuff like that in NZ?

Yes, I am a dum foreigner!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Re: Badgers, foxes and stuff

perhaps I should explain that, long term, I want to raise some chickens and from that thought I started wondering about badgers too!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

No foxes or squirrels .. and I don't think badgers either?

You do however get possum, which I think kill chickens.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for asking, I too was wondering what they don't have over there and they do here. Anything else??
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:18 pm
Banned

TurnersNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Only Animals in New Zealand are introduced species from Europe and one couple refuges from over the ditch including some birds. Sadly the Squirrel, Badger and Fox are not one of them.

The biggest problem you will get with Chooks (I mean Chickens) are probably going to be Wild Cats, Weasels , Stoats, Rats, Mice and Possum. Saying that we live very rural near a National Park and several Department of Conservation Reserves and have not seen a possum for years

Oh and I forgot to mention outside of Europe New Zealand is the only country to have the European Hedgehog which is a pest for Eggs.

Pretty much all the species of bird you used to in the UK can be found here thriving, the Thrush is the one that seems to do particulary well here.

Up until Mankind hit these island couple hundred years ago there was no mammals on these islands and as cute as you pet moggy and Doppy Dog is they are not welcome in the National Parks where the Native Flightless Birds live. Got enough problems with the Rats, mice, stoats etc desimating the nest of these ground hugging birdies.

Hope that helps
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, that's really interesting, well you learn something new everyday.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for contributing; some very interesting details!

Another question for you. What is the mosquito situation like? We should be in Auckland by the middle of April, are they still a nuisance then and in general?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

depends where you live. You get used to them. Try not to live by standing water perahps. You get used to the bites too but new visitors often have a greater reaction to start with. Just use a plug in mossie repellent indoors.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:57 am
Banned

TurnersNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont go to Fijordland down in the south island for Mossies

Rumour has it that there ae some big buggas down there that will suck you blood out in one bite

Well an american got sucked in (excuse the pun) into believing that once

Sandflies now they will eat you for lunch and have you for a snack afterwards in some areas