Bad to worse?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad to worse?

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/statistics/index.html

Hope colandros has clinical supervision.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I think at times there can be a 'rose tinted perspective' by immigrants. In all honesty it probably takes you all a few years to 'realise' that crime is a fact of life in New Zealand. I do feel that some people are a bit naive about the crime levels, murders do happen, gangs are prevalent in some areas, child abuse is rife....but what matters to most people is whether it is on their doorstep or not.
YEs, being small and isolated does not = a different and gentler humanity.

I've been following the murder of that Fielding farmer. Sad. But I wonder what's behind it. We dont' know the full story yet.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
IMO NZ has always been violent.

When I was growing up in Palmy Nth, we all knew the Square was a no-go area at night, esp. if you were Pakeha.

You are right, the Square was like Beruit! They have long since introduced CIPTED to the Sq that is where you 'design crime away' by removing things like trees and other natural screens and introduce lots of lights, extensive walkways etc etc. It is rather nice now and whilst there is still the occasional mugging and violence (like anywhere) its actually jolly nice and generally very calm and safe. Which is nice.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:32 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it had changed a lot when i went back. There were actually families there. FAMILIES! You would never have seen that 15 years ago.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Statistics, mean nothing these days, its what is underlying that gets totally missed by statistics.
I know this as I saw it first hand...

Gun crime is everywhere but compared to population and of other countries NZ is well up there. Another 10yrs believe me it wont be the same country your living in now...Shame really
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:53 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
Having lived in NZ for 4years and recently moved to Canada and having worked closely with the corrections department the crime is rising and rising very quickly in NZ.
When I moved there it was mediocor crime compared to the western world, however the domestic murders, child abuse both sexual and physical is atronomical.
Need I go on.
I was more concerned about letting my teenage son and my young adult daughter go down to the small town we lived in than I do in letting them ride the public system here in Toronto.

Its a shame a real shame but a reality as well. It will get worse and its a rapid process..
It's good to hear about crime from someone in the know, so to speak, you seem to be well placed to comment on crime in New Zealand and it's interesting to see that you think it's rising rapidly. What would you say are the reasons for that?

May I ask you also about your perception of the dangers your children faced in New Zealand. What were you most worried about and do you think your concerns were reasonable/justified?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I think expectation has a lot to do with it as well as perception. If you come to any country expecting some sort of Nirvana, then you are going to be surprised wherever.

NZ does have issues, of course it does, but there would have been no way in the world that I would have let my kids have the freedoms they have here back in the UK, although with the current state and decline of the UK I guess that isn't saying much.

Any country in the world will have issues and all it will take is one bad experience to make you feel very different about a place.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
It's good to hear about crime from someone in the know, so to speak, you seem to be well placed to comment on crime in New Zealand and it's interesting to see that you think it's rising rapidly. What would you say are the reasons for that?

May I ask you also about your perception of the dangers your children faced in New Zealand. What were you most worried about and do you think your concerns were reasonable/justified?
Ditto this. Am very curious and I promise I won't get offended...you can PM if you'd prefer.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Ditto this. Am very curious and I promise I won't get offended...you can PM if you'd prefer.
Re dangers for kids for me the only big one is the idiots on the roads. I fear little for my kids here in NZ (apart from the rubbish driving standards). Most of the child abuse is in house and appears to be mainly from one culture, very sad but true if you believe what the news says. As for weirdos and abductions I fear these way less than I would were I in the UK but still remain wary as I know it happens here.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

genesis are you a traffic cop???
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by colandros
genesis are you a traffic cop???
Nah. When I was plod I looked at doing traffic as I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to cars, however I soon realiesd they were all such tossers (way worse even than regular plods) I gave it a wide berth. I just think the too many kiwis are utterly gormless, selfish tossers when on the road. There are exceptions.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's FRIDAY
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
Nah. When I was plod I looked at doing traffic as I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to cars, however I soon realiesd they were all such tossers (way worse even than regular plods) I gave it a wide berth. I just think the too many kiwis are utterly gormless, selfish tossers when on the road. There are exceptions.
Oy! got my eye on you sunshine
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:53 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Don't believe everything your told!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Hans-S is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Bad to worse?

This post has given me some things to think about - is it really as bad as you say it is? I am not naive enough to think that nothing bad happens in NZ but in comparison to UK surely it's better? When we had our trip to NZ something very nasty happened to a dutch couple on their honeymoon and what we were impressed with was how the police/government where all over it and an important person somewhere high up in NZ police force/government (can't quite remember now) went on to local radio and said something along the lines of 'when i catch the person responsible I will happily see them hung, drawn and quartered'. It seems to me in the UK that when something terrible happens here people are very quick to make allowances, bad childhood, poor area, mental health issues etc. Lets see how can we help them, retrain them to be a good person and let them back into the public as soon as possible. Alternatively we give them a complete new identity so they can get on with their lives uninterrupted!!

As a family with a two year old whose main reasons for emigrating are to find an overall better quality of life, allow my child to be a child etc. I would really like to hear some honest truths about crime there. I understand that there will always be pockets of areas that are rife with crimes etc, that is no different from the UK but honestly in the grand scheme of things if we moved to the 'right place in NZ' would it be from bad to worse?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.