British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bad long quake. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bad-long-quake-887371/)

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 10:14 am

Bad long quake.

Very bad long quake here just now.

Somewhere has been hit.

Pollyana Nov 13th 2016 10:16 am

Re: Bad long quake.

1 Attachment(s)
Initial report received here -

Date and Time
UTC: 13 November 2016 @ 11:02:58

Location South Island, New Zealand.
Coordinates: -42.834, 172.797
Depth: 0 km

Magnitude
Mwp: 7.4

Earthquakes @ GA — Earthquake Details

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 10:25 am

Around Hamner Springs/Culverton so Christchurch is closer than us.

Swayed our tanks . Shook the house . It was long and it was shallow.

Felt two more since.

Charismatic Nov 13th 2016 10:27 am

Good shake here in Wellington city (in the order of "I need to get back out of bed immediately.") Poor people of Hamner springs!

Better get out the Mr. Tippy cup for a night cap.

MrsFychan Nov 13th 2016 10:34 am

Been a couple in North Island fairy large since Hamner and of course Seddon has to have a little shake as to not be outdone

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12103654)
(in the order of "I need to get back out of bed immediately.") Poor people of Hamner springs!

Better get out the Mr. Tippy cup for a night cap.

Yup

Think it is Seddon fault close to Blenheim.

Still rocking.

Hanmer power is down.

Bumptious Nov 13th 2016 10:43 am

Massive here in Manawatu, doors swinging, animals rushing around the house in a panic, swaying going on and on. Our house very old and wooden, will check for damage in the morning, hope everyone especially in south island ok?

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 10:50 am

national crisis centre has been activated. civil defence to hanmer and seddon.

damage picton kaikoura and hanmer. no report of injuries so far.

Pollyana Nov 13th 2016 10:51 am

Geoscience Australia now registering an aftershock of 6.1

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 13th 2016 10:53 am

Friends in Orewa felt it but we didn't. Friends in Kapiti have broken glass from fallen picture frames etc. Just hope that there's no damage to people.

Thinking of you guys down there experiencing this and stay safe.

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 10:56 am

& another.

mickey_d Nov 13th 2016 10:59 am

They're happening all over the country.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/newzealand/all

Charismatic Nov 13th 2016 11:07 am

Don't they realise that some of us have work to attend tomorrow? Really most inconsiderate.

Pollyana Nov 13th 2016 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 12103682)
They're happening all over the country.
GeoNet - Quakes

They will do. A big shake like that will cause aftershocks for some time to come.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 13th 2016 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12103693)
Don't they realise that some of us have work to attend tomorrow? Really most inconsiderate.

Downright rude I'd say.

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 11:09 am

You're @the beach.

You're supposed to be heading for higher ground.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 13th 2016 11:12 am

Tsunami warning for the east coast of the south island.

Pollyana Nov 13th 2016 11:16 am

Tsunami threat is for the eastern coast of the South Island. anyone near the east coast of the south island should move to high ground.
Drawdown of 2.5 metres recorded on one of the buoys.

111 emergency calls are down. In case of emergency, contact your local police station

Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has revised the original quake to be a 7.9

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 11:20 am

This is a national event and the quakes are being felt up and down the country.

Geonet

To echo Polly.

111 lines are down.

There are outages up and down the country.

East coast people need to get to higher ground now. Tsunami warning is now in place.

Pica Nov 13th 2016 11:23 am

Awful news, hope nobody is hurt :(((

Pollyana Nov 13th 2016 11:56 am

A tsunami has been generated, the first wave has arrived in the North Eastern Coast of the South Island.

The first wave may not be the largest. Waves may continue for several hours

https://twitter.com/NZcivildefence

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 12103707)
Awful news, hope nobody is hurt :(((

No reports of injury. Damage is best assessed int he morning.

It is night time so most people at home and were in their beds.

crap coffee Nov 13th 2016 12:04 pm

yes. It was LONG. (in Auckland)

PB65 Nov 13th 2016 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 12103726)
yes. It was LONG. (in Auckland)

Even long on franz josef west coast hopefully not a prelude to the big one which the experts are predicting to happen sometime

inkedneonurse Nov 13th 2016 12:23 pm

Hope your all alright

What will it do to immigration searches trump and May v quakes.....know who my monies on:rofl:

mickey_d Nov 13th 2016 12:46 pm

So, amid the Tsunami warnings, the Sky News reporter in Wellington has moved down to the waterfront. Idiot :thumbdown:

Charismatic Nov 13th 2016 12:47 pm

Looks like coastal people in Wellington region and Christchurch are being told to march uphill.

inkedneonurse Nov 13th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 12103753)
So, amid the Tsunami warnings, the Sky News reporter in Wellington has moved down to the waterfront. Idiot :thumbdown:

What a wazzock

moneypenny20 Nov 13th 2016 12:53 pm

Hope everyone is ok and staying clear of everything they need to stay clear of. :fingerscrossed:

Rete Nov 13th 2016 1:41 pm

Thinking of all of you and of BEV and her ducks. Please all be okay and stay safe.

Kotare Nov 13th 2016 4:33 pm

What earthquake (in Kerikeri) :-)

It will put the frighteners on potential migrants.

Charismatic Nov 13th 2016 4:56 pm

Looks like I won't have to endure the trauma of a Monday as well. Multi-story buildings need an engineers check before reopening.

Super moon tonight, co-incidence? ;)

MrsFychan Nov 13th 2016 6:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
my water isn't safe but luckily we have pure water for the tank so will have to filter some more.
anyone around Waikanae or wants to travel and has water issues can offer filtered water, just let me know.
takes about 25mins to fill a 10ltr container. which you will have to bring yourself, obviously any size but that gives you an idea of how long it will take.

LittleGreyCat Nov 13th 2016 7:38 pm

Thinking of you all from the rainy UK.

Our latest reports say two dead; around Kaikura I think.

If the migrants are all scared off then we are still here waving.

Stay safe.

Pom_Chch Nov 13th 2016 8:24 pm

Wowzers, felt that one! A sleepless night for everyone. I hope you are all OK. I have friends in Kaikoura and can't get hold of them :( And the tsunami warning keeps going off and not sure what to do!

Catchafire Nov 13th 2016 8:25 pm

HOLY F&^*BALLS! MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE!!!

All good here in Marlborough, with us, only had a lamp come down from the ceiling. Kids woke up and we all went "turtle safe". Went on for a bout a minute, which is a long time! Lots of wobbly aftershock and girls off school. Everyone in good spirits. Knowing, what I know, the wineries will have a big repair bills coming soon.

Hope everyone is OK. Thoughts to our friends in Kaikoura.

Pollyana Nov 13th 2016 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12103961)
Wowzers, felt that one! A sleepless night for everyone. I hope you are all OK. I have friends in Kaikoura and can't get hold of them :( And the tsunami warning keeps going off and not sure what to do!

Stay off the beaches.

Home » Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management has some tsunami info. If you are not in a tsunami risk area you need do nothing.

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 8:59 pm

Catcha :wub: I am so pleased you thought to pop by as I did think of you and yours.

Yeah. Good friend of a pal of mine has shared pics of the ruination of part of his block in Ward and also of a road with a mighty crack in it.

Yup. Stuff shook off our bookcase up here. The birds were flapping in their cages. The stairs did their magic jelly wobbly trick.

I don't care who knows it. I slept downstairs on the lounge floor - right close to our front door with a grab bag of random stuff right by my earhole. :lol: and I wasn't even near the epicentre like Catcha.

BEVS Nov 13th 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12103961)

Kaikoura is cut off Pom. Just leave one voicemail and then wait which is very hard but it helps to keep all lines clear.

If you are getting a Tsunami warning, take yourselves to higher ground or to your evacuation centre NOW.

Look at this map of your area

to add. King tides are on their way. Please err on the side of caution.

paddy234 Nov 13th 2016 10:47 pm

Woken up to a long rolling quake, went on for one to two minutes and it was like being on a rocky boat. Was shocked when i looked on geonet to see it as a 7.5 located in an area that is two hours from here so i knew if it was that bad here then towns around the epicenter would be devastated. Getting aftershocks throughout the night in the fives and even a few over six in the Richter scale was also worrying and couldn't sleep due to worrying if Christchurch was gonna be hit by another big one. Also with the tsunami sirens going off and people fleeing to higher ground. Two deaths so far, if it happened during the day i believe it would have been much higher. Hopefully no more big ones come though as after the other large valentines day quake in Christchurch months ago it seems Canterbury is only going to continue to get hammered with quakes.