Reload this Page >

Avondale College - Auckland

Avondale College - Auckland

Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avondale College - Auckland

Hi All,

Am glad I found this little goldmine of information, and am going to jump straight in and start asking some questions

I'm lucky enough to already have an interview set up for a job in NZ, for the Avondale College seconday school, and was wondering if anyone has anything good/bad/indifferent to say about it?

Many thanks in advance for any comments at all on the place

Yours

H
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Avondale College - Auckland

I can be of some (little) help.

Was asked about my interest in a job at Avondale and invited for a preliminary interview. Declined this offer as the school wasn't for me given I work in a boarding school here. From what I gather it has a good reputation but is 'large' and has those benfits and drawbacks.

It is located in Auckland and you need to consider your income carefully. Currently mulling over a very good job but have realised that even $75K doesn't go that far ... based on various contributors to this board and friends who arrived in Jan.

The top pay as an ordinary teacher would be circa $58K plus $3K per management unit. Outside Auckland your money does appear to go further but given my job offer is in south Auckland this doesn't really help.

Would very much welcoem correction form other treachers who are surviving happily on less - we need some encouraging words.

B
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Avondale College - Auckland

Hi Berian,

Disclaimer - I'm totally pants at saying anything online without it sounding like I'm annoyed/being rude/horrid etc etc...so mpls pls dont flame me, I'm really nice, honest

Thank you for the advice, but i'm a little confused....how can you possibly need 75$ to live *anywhere* in New Zealand?

Perhaps I should add I'm a single 25 year old female, who is looking to rent with others for a bit, so don't really have hugely expensive needs, and I'm boring and like staying in lots lol.

I was thinking of just getting a job I would enjoy in NZ first, just so that I could get residency etc sorted out, and then later look at exactly where I want to live/buy a house etc etc (I can't afford to visit NZ for a look-see beofer moving out there, so am just being ultra flexiable and going where the job takes me (plus I'm very easy going)).

I wouldn't be on anything like 58$, but from the budgets I've drawn up on what I *would* be earning, and using Woolworths website for grocies, my friend in NZ weekly expenditure on bills etc I should be able to easily cover my living expenses and have money left over for the odd DVD or cinema trip. Think 'student living' and thats about the stage in life i am still lol...

OK well thanks once again, its great to get any feedback whatsoever

H
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Avondale College - Auckland

Hilasbat,

No offence taken whatsoever but were are clearly from different ends of the teaching spectrum - 17 years to date and with a family to support hence my focus on finances.

There are however many other posters on this site who detail what they earn and how they struggle - there are also many who accept fewer materialistic trappings for a better quality of life! You take your prick on that one...

Rental in Auckland is expensive however (see www.harcourts.co.nz) - depends what type of accommodation you lived in as a student - but for a family of 4 in a reasonable area - thinking of schools - $350 would appear to be adequate and you could easily spend more. For a one bed flat or househsare clearly you would pay less ... but I have no idea as the thought of the four of us in one bedroom is too ghastly for words. We could of course ship in the Ikea bunk bed lol!

The Head at Avondale was very pleasnt indeed - over here quite often recruiting as far as I can work out. Be aware that NZ does have a problem staffing schools as so many of the teachers end up over here in order to make a mint and then go home and buy a big 'section' (plot of land) on which to build the home they dream of. Most Brits on the other hand fancy the lifetsyle in NZ, the great scenry and countryside (been there and can tell you it is fantastic), a better(ish) climate and its oftenh the getting by on the dollar that sends some home.

At your age - go for it. There's plenty of time for that mortgage!

B