Australia Vs New Zealand????

Australia Vs New Zealand????

Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

graemeandtania is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Australia Vs New Zealand????

Oz or Nz how do they compare??

Hi,
My fiance and I were planning to emmigrate to Nz at the end of next year but, we can't help thinking that we may actually prefer Oz! We have only been to Nz 2 years ago and loved it. But the more we read about Oz the more we think we would prefer it!!!
We will probably visit Oz some time this year so we can see for ourselves but we thought we would try and get some advice as well!!!!

Let us know what you think

Thanks
Graeme and Tania
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:28 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Australia Vs New Zealand????

Originally Posted by graemeandtania

Hi,
My fiance and I were planning to emmigrate to Nz at the end of next year but, we can't help thinking that we may actually prefer Oz! We have only been to Nz 2 years ago and loved it. But the more we read about Oz the more we think we would prefer it!!!
We will probably visit Oz some time this year so we can see for ourselves but we thought we would try and get some advice as well!!!!

Thanks
Graeme and Tania
Most people prefer to immigrate to OZ because of a better climate, better
beaches, larger more exciting place, larger, stronger economy, higher wages
more career opportunities, higher standard of living. Large numbers of New Zealanders immigrate to OZ each year while few Aussies immigrate to NZ.
You should definitely visit OZ before deciding on NZ. You don't want to immigrate to NZ then go to OZ for a holiday and then say OZ is much better we should have moved there instead. See as much of OZ as possible not just one city or state, because it is a very large diverse county, with different landscapes and different climates in different states.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 15th 2005 at 8:32 pm.

Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Most people prefer to immigrate to OZ because of a better climate, better
beaches, larger more exciting place, larger, stronger economy, higher wages
more career opportunities, higher standard of living.
All of the above plus the fact you can get an Australian passport in 2 years (as a PR), in New Zealand it's shortly going to be 5 years for the NZ passport.

Large numbers of New Zealanders immigrate to OZ each year while few Aussies immigrate to NZ.
And while the Australian passport gives full PR rights in New Zealand, a NZ passport now gives something less than full PR in Australia. Laws on this could always change but that's the current situation.

Jeremy
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:48 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graemeandtania

----------------------------------

Thanks
Graeme and Tania

http://www.cricket.com.au/portal/sit...104420a2a0/#nz

Well I can see The aussies taking both the test and the one day series, although I give NZ a fighting chance in the opening Twenty20 match ;)
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Munchkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeremy wrote: All of the above plus the fact you can get an Australian passport in 2 years (as a PR), in New Zealand it's shortly going to be 5 years for the NZ passport.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind extending from 3 years to 5?

I'm not sure how the Work to PR visa works. Do you have to keep a job with the same employer throughout the whole time?

And is there anything in place to protect the worker from possible exploitation?

Dumb questions I know....just got back from Florida and jet-lagged to hell.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkin
Jeremy wrote: All of the above plus the fact you can get an Australian passport in 2 years (as a PR), in New Zealand it's shortly going to be 5 years for the NZ passport.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind extending from 3 years to 5?
Officially it's to stop people using NZ as a 'backdoor' to Australia. The change is even more significant, as under the existing law NZ allows time on a temporary visa to count, and spouses of NZ citizens have a 2 year residence requirement. All that changes soon and it becomes 5 years - with only time as a PR counted.

Ironically, it may mean some people who qualify for both Australia and NZ choosing Australia.

The other change that they plan is from 1.1.2006 a child born in NZ will only be an NZ citizen if one of the parents is an NZ citizen or permanent resident. This is in line with Australia's policy.

Jeremy
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:19 am
Just Joined

darwinite is an unknown quantity at this point

I would prefer Australia. New Zealand is much more beautiful in my eyes (mountains, beaches, rainforests, volcanoes, all close together). On the other hand New Zealand is even more isolated from the rest of the world and the better economy, better salaries etc. in Australia really make Australia the better choice.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:25 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by darwinite
I would prefer Australia. New Zealand is much more beautiful in my eyes (mountains, beaches, rainforests, volcanoes, all close together). On the other hand New Zealand is even more isolated from the rest of the world and the better economy, better salaries etc. in Australia really make Australia the better choice.
Australia also has mountains, beaches, rainforests and volcanoes, that are just as good or even better.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

darwinite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
Australia also has mountains, beaches, rainforests and volcanoes, that are just as good or even better.
You must be kidding. Snowy Mountains vs Southern Alps, estinguished boring volcanoe hills vs say Tongariro Crossing, etc. While Australia does have its good sites, New Zealand is 10 times more diverse.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Sure the pay and conditions are better in Oz, but the cost of living is comparable with the UK and the pay ain't that good. Sydney and Melbourne seem as expensive as London. Kiwis more open to Poms than Ozzies and NZ more Anglified (is that good? but better than Americanised).
Horses for courses.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Poindexter is an unknown quantity at this point

First time posting on here but have been reading for quite a while.

On this subject I have to butt in. Having lived in both NZ and Oz I have to say that NZ would definately be my choice.

Oz is a nice enough country but it never quite clicked with me - or me with it. I don't think the economy is that superior to NZ, the scenery is fine but hundreds of miles travelling to see the sights. I didn't find the Aussies lived up to this 'friendliest people in the world' label they hang on themselves .... like everywhere else, some were great, some were downright hostile. I think the Kiwis are far more welcoming to other nationalities and far more respectful towards the Maoris than the Aussies are towards the Aborigines.

I think one of the things that would really get to me was when an Aussie would be totally convinced that they were living in the best place in the world when 9 times out of 10 they hadn't even ventured into the next state. So how the hell would they know.

Oz is nice enough don't get me wrong, great for a holiday. I still have PR there but I can't ever imagine needing it.

Oh yeah ..... those Aussies .... they're not the brightest buttons in the box are they?

Poindexter
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

This thread is very interesting for me. I too am in a quandry as which one would be the better choice. I have no experience of either so I am keen to see what people say. I am erring on NZ, the fact that they seem to be a few years behing the brits isnt an issue for me but crime and racism does. I know you get it everywhere you go regardless of what country but it does bother me that I could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.