Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Austrailia to cut skilled migrant levels

Austrailia to cut skilled migrant levels

Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice
Default Austrailia to cut skilled migrant levels

Morning all,
I read in the Metro paper today that Oz is to cut the level of skilled migrants entering the country in light of the current global crisis. For those like me who are waiting for a case officer to to assigned to there application, i wonder if this is what NZ is going to follow there neighbour.

I've been seeking work but not putting much effort to it.

What do you think?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice
Default Re: Austrailia to cut skilled migrant levels

Actually, I just found this but Im not sure how old the article:

Last week, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that unemployment had risen to 5.2%, its highest level in nearly four years.

However, New Zealand, in recession for the past year, has no plans to reduce its intake of 45,000 skilled migrants a year, Prime Minister John Key said.

"New Zealand needs skilled migrants to grow," he told reporters.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by grahamwookie
Actually, I just found this but Im not sure how old the article:

Last week, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that unemployment had risen to 5.2%, its highest level in nearly four years.

However, New Zealand, in recession for the past year, has no plans to reduce its intake of 45,000 skilled migrants a year, Prime Minister John Key said.

"New Zealand needs skilled migrants to grow," he told reporters.
Seems to be 18th March 2009

Herald Article HERE
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:52 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

In the words of that old cogger in the vicar of Dibley, No, no, no, no, no, yes

Anyone want to bet me keys doesn't bottle it within 6 months and follows suit.
I'll even tell you what he'll say, "it's up to the markets to decide where it's sees it's workforce coming from and in these recessionary times - blah blah blah
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
In the words of that old cogger in the vicar of Dibley, No, no, no, no, no, yes

Anyone want to bet me keys doesn't bottle it within 6 months and follows suit.
I'll even tell you what he'll say, "it's up to the markets to decide where it's sees it's workforce coming from and in these recessionary times - blah blah blah
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:10 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hey, I was told NZ ALWAYS follows OZ ... not with the last interest rate drop though?! OZ didn't drop theirs, but NZ did?

Maybe it is worth considering what old Sir Bob Jones has been saying ... Kiwi's will come home from their OE when/if they loose their jobs and fill the brain drain, buy houses with their money earnt overseas and NZ may recover from this economic recession slightly quicker than other Western countries?

Also have read to expect NZ interest rates to drop to 2% by the middle of the year?

Who knows?