Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland V Christchurch

Auckland V Christchurch

Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all
Default Re: Auckland V Christchurch

Thanks again everyone. If anyone is in the construction trade, do they know where is busy at the moment - I know work tends to move around the country abit - but does anyone know where OH is most likely to get an apprenticeship?
thanks
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Why just Auckland v Christchurch???

There are other fantastic areas of New Zealand not listed here. Wellington rivals Edinburgh as being the most beautiful capital i've ever been to and then Napier, and Hamilton come jointly in lovely places to live

But for the arguments sake, for safety reasons anyone would chose Auckland over Christchurch. Just when people were thinking it was dieing down, 2 lovely 4 pointers woke me up at 1am which I was not impressed with. Even had a powerful 3 pointer that stopped my celebrations of beating the music ruining nation in the rugby for the first time in many many years. Made better by witnessing the worst Irish performance i've ever seen in my lifetime. A chance of a disaster happening in Auckland is very very unlikely as like Akaroa Pennisula, it's on a dormant volcano which won't erupt again.

Auckland also has that city vibe about it and the harbour is beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed a weekend visit there but in our opinion we were glad we didn't move. We were moving out of city life from London and whilst there's way less people in Auckland than London, it did seem cramped which we didn't want. Wellington though, we do like.

Of course I always have positive things to say about Christchurch despite the condition of the place. We took advantage of the first sunny weekend since we've been here by having a surf lesson followed by fish and chips on Sumner beach, and then sunday was a lovely stroll around the gardens and hagley park. Beautiful

Had the earthquake not happened, it would be a no brainer for me but since Auckland is a lot safer and has it's advantage points, many would be silly not to go for Auckland. Rent is cheap in Christchurch and house prices are very cheap but try getting contents insurance. Ethan Hunt would struggle to help
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is built on an active volcano field and just like earthquakes no-one knows when.

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/?t=292 is just one of the websites that talks about this.

When we decided to move to NZ, one reason for choosing ChCh, (aside from it being our favourite place) was that the North Island had volcanoes and most of the quakes . That has changed - well the quake part but if we ever made the decision to move from ChCh, it would be to somewhere else on the South Island.
I liked Auckland for a few days visit but didn't feel that I wanted to live there.
Different strokes for different folks!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:33 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a city centre, dont move to CHCH. Other than that the main differences are related to population. This is the same for all major centres in nz.

Auckland - more people therefore more stuff and more traffic, further north warmer and wetter.

Christchurch - less people therefore less stuff and less traffic, further south cooler and drier.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
If you want a city centre, dont move to CHCH. Other than that the main differences are related to population. This is the same for all major centres in nz.

Auckland - more people therefore more stuff and more traffic, further north warmer and wetter.

Christchurch - less people therefore less stuff and less traffic, further south cooler and drier.
+1
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say auckland is wet, usually warm and dry through spring , summer and early autumn..not the case this year though
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:08 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I wouldn't say auckland is wet, usually warm and dry through spring , summer and early autumn..not the case this year though
Not wet, just wetter than chch...
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington's probably drier than both but windier and also on a known earthquake faultline....if I were sinking money into property rather than renting, I feel it would be safer in Auckland than either Christchurch or Wellington in the shaky ground stakes.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh I see.

but in Aucks the moisture comes from above not up from beneath the ground
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:03 am
grumpy bugger

Originally Posted by Justcol
Ahh I see.

but in Aucks the moisture comes from above not up from beneath the ground
in my experience in the summer it just hangs about in the air and it's a known fact that clammy is good for niether man nor beast

I'll check when I am up there next week
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by daviesl
Thanks again everyone. If anyone is in the construction trade, do they know where is busy at the moment - I know work tends to move around the country abit - but does anyone know where OH is most likely to get an apprenticeship?
thanks
I'm very confused by this business of a plumbing apprenticeship. I thought you had previously stated that your husband was already a plumber ( from past posts) .

The only thing I can think is that once here and with residency , he blanket covers all the plumbing firms in the area and see if he can get taken on with a firm under a PGDB limited license with a view to being an adult apprentice.

Apprenticeship Training Trust

NZ Plumbing online