Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice
Default Re: Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Hi backdoor - It is lovely - after researching before we arrived we were sure that the North Shore was where we'd end up, but after arriving we just couldn't justify the long trip and looked closer to the city. Remuera is extremely upmarket and a lovely area, Meadowbank is really nice too and a touch more affordable than Remuera (we looked at several properties around there). Really you can't go wrong with any of the "eastern suburbs" of the central auckland. Well if you need any help or advice then please give us a shout as we've been here 18 months now and wouldn't live anywhere else in Auckland.
We should be in NZ by mid May to beginning of June. Keep looking on Trademe for rentals, there is not a lot in the area. We are starting to get excited.

Nishka
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

I'd just like to thank every one for their replies. Most of them have allowed us to get our thinking caps on...

I have had a call during the night to say I have been succesful with my job application, so we will be on our way soon.

Anyway my OH does not want to rent, so we will be looking to buy after the temp accommodation the employer is organising (2 weeks), so this will not give us much time to decide, so any further information would be great.

Probably West, Northshore or Hibiscus Coast.

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
I'd just like to thank every one for their replies. Most of them have allowed us to get our thinking caps on...

I have had a call during the night to say I have been succesful with my job application, so we will be on our way soon.

Anyway my OH does not want to rent, so we will be looking to buy after the temp accommodation the employer is organising (2 weeks), so this will not give us much time to decide, so any further information would be great.

Probably West, Northshore or Hibiscus Coast.

Thanks
mmm....I'd wait if I were you, if only to see how the £ vs. $ goes. Also you need some time to decide about those areas and the best place to do it is on the ground IMHO. Also buying over here is very different (as far as I can see not having bought yet) from doing it in the UK, there are lots of tendered sales, auctions and other things to consider and there are leaky buildings and downright shoddy developments to avoid. I'd invest a couple of months rental before you take that plunge - but then I'm probably too cautious and others may disagree - feel free to argue anyone.......
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backdoor
We should be in NZ by mid May to beginning of June. Keep looking on Trademe for rentals, there is not a lot in the area. We are starting to get excited.

Nishka
looking at the local papers over the past couple of weeks the numbers of rentals available on HBC is rising - probably as the Summer is over and Easter hols are about to end.......check out those internet rental lists and try to find someone who can look at the loacl papers as quite a few property managers do not use the internet
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
mmm....I'd wait if I were you, if only to see how the £ vs. $ goes. Also you need some time to decide about those areas and the best place to do it is on the ground IMHO. Also buying over here is very different (as far as I can see not having bought yet) from doing it in the UK, there are lots of tendered sales, auctions and other things to consider and there are leaky buildings and downright shoddy developments to avoid. I'd invest a couple of months rental before you take that plunge - but then I'm probably too cautious and others may disagree - feel free to argue anyone.......
Thanks Larydl..... I have noticed the £ v's $ fluctuates quite a bit? Things have developed quite quickly for me, so am not aware on what is/was a good rate of exchange.

What sort of figure should we be looking for before we think about exchanging any money?

Cheers

By the way.... I would rather rent for a while ,as I don't want to make any mistakes either with the property or area, but the OH has other ideas... I'll try to talk her round....All she is concerned about is the multiple moving of the kids and how unsettling this could be... On the other hand if we buy a property quickly, these could be costly moves..

Thanks Anyway
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:39 am
you dewty owld maan!

Thanks Larydl..... I have noticed the £ v's $ fluctuates quite a bit? Things have developed quite quickly for me, so am not aware on what is/was a good rate of exchange.

What sort of figure should we be looking for before we think about exchanging any money?

Cheers

By the way.... I would rather rent for a while ,as I don't want to make any mistakes either with the property or area, but the OH has other ideas... I'll try to talk her round....All she is concerned about is the multiple moving of the kids and how unsettling this could be... On the other hand if we buy a property quickly, these could be costly moves..

Thanks Anyway
Paladin is the expert - check his threads, but £ is about the year long low against the $NZ and that might not change - check out threads/really useful about currency trading/dealing accounts.
WRT houses we kept ours on in UK (with Kiwi! tenants) as a safety net, probably sell in 9months or so if we are OK to stay in NZ - others we know bought straightaway, if you are happy with commuting etc (in Auckland for example) then this could be fine but dont underestimate the problems with transportation here and the effects that moving will have on you. It is the hardest thing I have done and I thought I worked hard before I left the UK, but the changes you have to deal with, esp. with kids are larger than you think and moving overseas is demanding mentally and physically. But when it comes together........it should be "sweet as".
Good luck, get as much info as poss and as prepared as you can.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

looking at the local papers over the past couple of weeks the numbers of rentals available on HBC is rising - probably as the Summer is over and Easter hols are about to end.......check out those internet rental lists and try to find someone who can look at the loacl papers as quite a few property managers do not use the internet
Thanks for the info. I will search the classifieds on line.

Cheers,

Nishka
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info. I will search the classifieds on line.

Cheers,

Nishka
Hi Nishka...Noticed your from Canada! I visited family over there (Hamilton & St Catherines) in 2000. We were there foar a month and had a great time.

Good luck with your move
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:06 am
Just Joined

hayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Hi Garry,

I know your first rental is only temporary for two weeks, but please dont rush in and buy get to know the areas first it's going to take that time for the jet lag to subside go into another rental first look at areas for schools and locality what the area has to offer because it's not cheap to buy here and if you realise you don't like the one you have bought because you rushed into it, it's going to cost you to sell up, so seriously think about renting first let things settle down because your wife is the one who is going have to deal with it, its seems its harder for the female side of a relationship to come to terms with being on the other side of the world. The man seems to get on with things.

Good luck anyway I'm on the Hibiscus coast any questions just ask. Hayley
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

I totally agree about renting we had temporary accomodation for two weeks in the city looking around to where we wanted to be.We are renting for a year and may also go beyond that.It has given the children a base to settle and is an easy walk to school. Spend time going on open homes gain all the info you can and lastly make sure your the right side of right road for all the school zones.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nishka...Noticed your from Canada! I visited family over there (Hamilton & St Catherines) in 2000. We were there foar a month and had a great time.

Good luck with your move
Glad you enjoyed yourself. We are about 2 hours north of Hamilton. And I am sick of the snow!! Good luck with your move aswell.

Cheers,

Nishka
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Do you know of any websites that feature short term stays? I have found some, but they range around 3-4k a month. We were looking for something a little less expensive.

Nishka
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

Thumbs up Re: Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Do you know of any websites that feature short term stays? I have found some, but they range around 3-4k a month. We were looking for something a little less expensive.

Nishka
just search for "fully furnished" or "holiday home" on the usual real estate search engine sites under <rentals>
best is http://www.realestate.co.nz/ IMHO
or trademe of course
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

East Auckland (St heliers/Missions Bay,etc,etc) look lovely. I check it out and get in touch.
Cheers
That is the area that we are moving to is less than a month, East
Auckland Meadowbank/Remuera. I have had my future employers drive round in their cars to see if they like the neighbourhoods and take pictures. There are some fancy photographers out there!!

Let you know how it is when we arrive. Although, I have also found that furnished homes in the area are few and far between! Trade me might be a nice option because you can find some places without letting fees and a smaller bond. We have no such thing in Canada so, it annoys me that I have to pay a realtor.

Cheers,

Nishka
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:28 am
you dewty owld maan!

......without letting fees and a smaller bond. We have no such thing in Canada so, it annoys me that I have to pay a realtor.
yeah, we have to pay for the management of our property in the UK and the letting fee here.......double whammey, heh??
Ah.....Remuera - I could do with a place there as the commute to/from Newmarket is a real pain at the mo' !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.