Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

auckland commute times.....

auckland commute times.....

Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:37 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up auckland commute times.....

we are in vancouver at present but want to return to NZ.....have lived in chch previously but are looking at auckland for return.....like the idea of north shore and eastern suburbs,want to be near beach and good school zones both elementary and high school......will probably work downtown auckland and only wanted a 45 min commute maximum,expect to start work at 8:00 am and leave for return 5:30 pm ish....have read allot about difficulties travelling around auckland at peak commute times so just wanted any feedback on 'better areas' to live to minimise commute but still get a good 'lifestyle' location.......many thanks.............
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: auckland commute times.....

Some commute videos!

Browns Bay to Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZYrrraBwVA

Milford to Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcLcq4yO44

Remuera to Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-cF5EUXuQ
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we have just moved to NZ and are based in Torbay North Shore, OH works in Panmure. He starts work at 7am, and he has to leave at 6.15. After 7am the bridge traffic is very slow, but it still moves.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

7 minutes on the train...beat that! That's from Orakei into Britomart

Soooo much better than when we were in London!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Hi we have just moved to NZ and are based in Torbay North Shore, OH works in Panmure. He starts work at 7am, and he has to leave at 6.15. After 7am the bridge traffic is very slow, but it still moves.
hi....yes we were quite keen on the northshore....campbels bay,takapuna and maybe devonport......wherever keeps commute down to a minimum....but leaving the house at 6:15 am is too early for me.....7:00 am is early enough...here in vancouver the public transport is very good and we can get from west van right downtown in 20 mins so i guess i'm looking for a similar commute.......do you know how good the public transit is on the northshore.....many thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by daisycutter
hi....yes we were quite keen on the northshore....campbels bay,takapuna and maybe devonport......wherever keeps commute down to a minimum....but leaving the house at 6:15 am is too early for me.....7:00 am is early enough...here in vancouver the public transport is very good and we can get from west van right downtown in 20 mins so i guess i'm looking for a similar commute.......do you know how good the public transit is on the northshore.....many thanks.
Well living in Devonport means you could catch the ferry to the CBD in less than 20mins.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Well living in Devonport means you could catch the ferry to the CBD in less than 20mins.
......that sounds alot better....are there some good elementary & high schools there ?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisycutter
......that sounds alot better....are there some good elementary & high schools there ?
No doubt the ferry is convenient but you'll need to add commute times either side.

Generally speaking Auckland commuter traffic is horrendous certainly far worse than anything I've experienced before in the UK. The lack of effective public transport is the big problem. I manage as I commute in bike, and it's as quick (but hardly safe :curse as driving.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're working in the |CBD then the best option from the north shore is probably the park and ride bus - takes about 25 min from Albany and proportionally less from the other stops. It's a very good service provided you're not trying to get south of the CBD
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Some commute videos!

Browns Bay to Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZYrrraBwVA

Milford to Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcLcq4yO44

Remuera to Auckland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-cF5EUXuQ
Sorry but the video of Milford to Auckland is complete nonsense, I left the other day by car and got to Epsom south of the CBD in 30/40 mins and that was at 07:15 when I left. You also would not go the route shown on that clip from the road they came out of in my opinion.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
If you're working in the |CBD then the best option from the north shore is probably the park and ride bus - takes about 25 min from Albany and proportionally less from the other stops. It's a very good service provided you're not trying to get south of the CBD
thanks for that,i'll check it out....quite used to the bus here in vancouver......
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by sarahw
7 minutes on the train...beat that! That's from Orakei into Britomart

Soooo much better than when we were in London!
yes orakei looks nice from the internet,would also look at half moon bay/bucklands beach as there seems to be a ferry into town from there also...does anyone have any experience of this area.......many thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

We live in Whitford and I work in Stanley Street (CBD) and its taking an hour most mornings to get into work at the moment and it seems to have got worse over the last month or so.

I leave the driveway at 0745 and arrive on a good day just before 0845 but on a bad day it can be after 0900.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to live a bit more out east and go to work in the CBD you can catch a ferry from pine harbour... check out...

http://www.pineharbour.co.nz/ferries/
Old Mar 20th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SarahB
If you want to live a bit more out east and go to work in the CBD you can catch a ferry from pine harbour... check out...

http://www.pineharbour.co.nz/ferries/
Yep the Pine Harbour ferry is very good but takes 35 minutes to get to town.

By the time i drive to the ferry and walk to my office from the ferry its still and hour in total but the ferry is certainly less stress than the drive

If you use the threatened Half Moon Bay ferry you can sit outside and watch the scenary go by and even grab a beer, which sadly you can't on the Pine Harbour ferry...

Whats great about the Pine Harbour ferry is the oneupmanship of riding the fastest ferry in Auckland... it goes like a missile...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.