Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Assortment of questions

Assortment of questions

Old May 21st 2012, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Assortment of questions

Hi all,

Back again with yet more questions (this is Natalie) hope you can answer.

for those of you who remember the traumas we had with my now 8yo daughter, she is getting better and feeling settled. Not brilliant,s he still wants to go back but is not so heartbroken. My 6 yo son on the other hand is really starting to struggle. He is finding it hard to make friends, he wants to go back and asks on an almost daily basis, he misses his old friends, his old school, his old life, he misses my parents, he used to love visiting his cousins in Summer etc... he is sad. I just wonder at what point do you sacrifice your dream of living in NZ for the sake of your kids happiness? We do playdates, he swims once a week, he was about to start Keas (he spent years in UK asking to go to Beavers, I told him last week he is about to start Keas and he doesn't want to go anymore).

That old life is gone really and we have told him that but that doesn't make it any better. Watching my kids struggle, especially the 6 yo is making me wonder if we did the right thing of following our dreams of leaving the UK. We thought we would be giving them a better life, a nicer place to grow up, more opportunity over here. I still believe in all those things. Maybe we just came out at the wrong time for them - 7 & 5... should have come earlier before they knew what they were missing or when they were older when they could be reasoned with more. Ho hum.

Next subject... can you actually GET Gas central heating and double glazed windows over here. i know I'm in Auckland but I'm so flipping cold!!!!! The kids moan about the cold, we have fan heaters, a portable electric heater, the heat pump is awaiting a service. We are in rented accommodation so can't do anything ourselves.

Next subject... Capital gains tax. We are straightforward I think but understanding the rules is so hard! we have a house int he UK, it is our one and only house in the world. We rent here. The house int he UK is rented out. If we sold it up to 3 years from leaving we wouldn't have to pay CGT. If we sold it after 3, we would have to pay CGT. Is that correct? So any money we made on the house, a significant portion of it goes to the tax man, surely that can't be right! Is that so?

Thanks for any help,

Natalie
Old May 21st 2012, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assortment of questions

The point about the heating is when we move form our rented, I want to go somewhere that has radiators and double glazing!!!!
Old May 21st 2012, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Hi all,

Back again with yet more questions (this is Natalie) hope you can answer.

for those of you who remember the traumas we had with my now 8yo daughter, she is getting better and feeling settled. Not brilliant,s he still wants to go back but is not so heartbroken. My 6 yo son on the other hand is really starting to struggle. He is finding it hard to make friends, he wants to go back and asks on an almost daily basis, he misses his old friends, his old school, his old life, he misses my parents, he used to love visiting his cousins in Summer etc... he is sad. I just wonder at what point do you sacrifice your dream of living in NZ for the sake of your kids happiness? We do playdates, he swims once a week, he was about to start Keas (he spent years in UK asking to go to Beavers, I told him last week he is about to start Keas and he doesn't want to go anymore).

That old life is gone really and we have told him that but that doesn't make it any better. Watching my kids struggle, especially the 6 yo is making me wonder if we did the right thing of following our dreams of leaving the UK. We thought we would be giving them a better life, a nicer place to grow up, more opportunity over here. I still believe in all those things. Maybe we just came out at the wrong time for them - 7 & 5... should have come earlier before they knew what they were missing or when they were older when they could be reasoned with more. Ho hum.

Next subject... can you actually GET Gas central heating and double glazed windows over here. i know I'm in Auckland but I'm so flipping cold!!!!! The kids moan about the cold, we have fan heaters, a portable electric heater, the heat pump is awaiting a service. We are in rented accommodation so can't do anything ourselves.

Next subject... Capital gains tax. We are straightforward I think but understanding the rules is so hard! we have a house int he UK, it is our one and only house in the world. We rent here. The house int he UK is rented out. If we sold it up to 3 years from leaving we wouldn't have to pay CGT. If we sold it after 3, we would have to pay CGT. Is that correct? So any money we made on the house, a significant portion of it goes to the tax man, surely that can't be right! Is that so?

Thanks for any help,

Natalie

Hi,

How long have you been here? Nobody can tell you what to do. You have tried and you may love it but if you have been here a while and they really aren't settled I would say its not worth it. Has his personality changed much?
I would say my son was always fine with being here but his confidence has dropped terribly.
Good luck with your desicion.
Old May 21st 2012, 4:30 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you.

But don't ask us, your poor head will be in a spin
Old May 21st 2012, 9:56 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Google the Auckland based company, 'Warm Windows'. They installed double glazed windows and doors in our house last week and they look great. We have two heat pumps, one upstairs with ducts to the rooms and one downstairs. I guess this is kinda the equivalent of central heating. It's great, it's just like being at home !
Old May 21st 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.centralheating.co.nz/