Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Artwork shines light on NZ

Artwork shines light on NZ

Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Artwork shines light on NZ

I found this quite interesting....shows just how isolated NZ is from the rest of the world.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...es-light-on-NZ
Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Artwork shines light on NZ

Yep, we're the last bus stop on the planet. The pimple on the bottom of the world
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:09 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

oh we are very isolated
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know I can be a bit dense at times but I don't get it, although I realise the bit about NZ being an isolated land mass

Its a satellite photo of New Zealand with the left hand side bit chopped off, isn't it?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know I can be a bit dense at times but I don't get it, although I realise the bit about NZ being an isolated land mass

Its a satellite photo of New Zealand with the left hand side bit chopped off, isn't it?
But Dahrlink, it's ART. One isn't supposed to get it
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:51 am
`

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
But Dahrlink, it's ART. One isn't supposed to get it

I saw a tooth glass on a glass shelf once in the Tate.

It was total crap but it apparently meant the world as I know it. I was of course very thick and stoopid because it needed a whole pile of written dialogue to get the concept.

Give it a chance I thought. Am I missing something actually artistic here. I mean , something talented and artistic which is a gift and special.

: Thinks : My life isn't this but maybe they mean the advance of life somehow and so dentures in a tooth glass on a tooth shelf & all that which although is best expressed by word ....or mouth is not supposed to be represented by this as some sort of silent , non -communicative, statement . Nopes. It was about the puniverse as we are supposed to know it.

Made my day - not - and Mr BEVS got a bit agitated when I said as much .
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:14 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes art can serve a purpose.....

http://news.stv.tv/north/188465-scul...-aim-unveiled/
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:47 am
`

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Sometimes art can serve a purpose.....

http://news.stv.tv/north/188465-scul...-aim-unveiled/
Aye. Tiz so.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i know what you mean BEVS, but...as they say - art is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective. What one person may enjoy and see as art and creative, another person won't.

I think the point of this piece would be apparent if you saw it in the gallery - its enormous - 4.5m long and 2.5m high. The article says

"Due to the absence of adequate mapping of the world's oceans, he recreated ocean zones himself after consulting shoal maps"

So yes - it is just a satellite photo - but i think its how its presented that makes it "art".

Hoping i'm not coming across as patronising saying that - not meaning to be. I was never a modern art lover but over the years I've become more used to the idea, that art is interpretive and a creative thing. The artist doesn't necessarily create to make money and in fact thats something that rarely happens for most people.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:43 am
`

I haven't taken it as patronising. I was once offered an art scholarship as it happens which I couldn't take up.

In my limited experience what many artists most want is recognition of their work as well as being able to express themselves through their chosen medium. That's why they seek out galleries and are thrilled at the prospect of an exhibition.

Commissions & sales enable them to facilitate further works, that's if they don't want to teach or to find employment which utilises there artistic abilities.

As for the satellite photo. To me that is exactly what it is. I'm getting on a bit now so perhaps I'm a tad old-fashioned in what I enjoy as art. If something needs to be explained then , for me, the piece hasn't worked.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

ha ha - fair enough BEVS. Was just making sure it didn't come over the wrong way as can so often happen on the tinternet!
I agree totally with what you said. I agree just a photo - but i think it would come across a bit different when you see it in real life for the shear size of it.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:25 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the same, it's a screenshot from Google Earth.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:56 am
`

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
h
I agree totally with what you said. I agree just a photo - but i think it would come across a bit different when you see it in real life for the shear size of it.
Ah yes. That might help the sense of isolation I suppose.

I once saw a most enormous painting. Huge it was. Just blobs of random colour becoming tight and tighter in places towards the centre of the work.

It was the only thing in the Tate Modern that caught me as , for me, it expressed New York.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah yes. That might help the sense of isolation I suppose.

I once saw a most enormous painting. Huge it was. Just blobs of random colour becoming tight and tighter in places towards the centre of the work.

It was the only thing in the Tate Modern that caught me as , for me, it expressed New York.
ha ha - yeah and for me i'd be a bit like - eh - you what now?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:03 am
`

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
ha ha - yeah and for me i'd be a bit like - eh - you what now?

You've intrigued me about it now. You go see it and tell me if it stuns you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.