Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Arrived now lots of questions to ask

Arrived now lots of questions to ask

Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about
Default Arrived now lots of questions to ask

Arrived at 4.20 am this morning

Now the hard work starts:

Get a car ~ how the hell do you find the private sales here?

Get a home ~ we've been round some estate agents and got the rental lists, going to look round tomorrow. Been looking at Howick, Dannemora, Botany etc. Anyone any info about Pakura ~ is it an area to avoid? On a previous thread the general message was keep clear of West AKL.

Can you buy adapters here? We only put one in the case and we're using that for the laptop, we need one for the internet phone and other stuff too.

Get a bank account ~ I need an address first.

Get an IRD number ~ Need an address for that too?

Furniture on route but we have to make do without necessaries e.g. fridge (if the rental does not have one) is there anywhere we can hire some stuff short term?

It's all too real now.

Off to do a bit more flappin

Any advice gratefully received
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived now lots of questions to ask

Originally Posted by Hotpots

Get a home ~ we've been round some estate agents and got the rental lists, going to look round tomorrow. Been looking at Howick, Dannemora, Botany etc. Anyone any info about Pakura ~ is it an area to avoid? On a previous thread the general message was keep clear of West AKL.

Can you buy adapters here? We only put one in the case and we're using that for the laptop, we need one for the internet phone and other stuff too.

Furniture on route but we have to make do without necessaries e.g. fridge (if the rental does not have one) is there anywhere we can hire some stuff short term?

It's all too real now.

Off to do a bit more flappin

Any advice gratefully received
Private sales on www.trademe.co.nz while there are dealers on there too, its like the kiwi version of ebay! Rental homes on there too!

Where are you staying, just use your temp address to sort your bank account and change it when you get a proper home, tahts what I did!

IRD, can you do it through work, they have an address! You will need this to get paid anyway!!

Hope some of this helps!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome! Now go to bed to be refreshed for tomorrow!
TradeMe is a good place to start, but to be honest, I would go with a car sales forecourt because you can beat them down on price if you pay with banker's draft or cash and you'll get some sort of protection through the Consumer's Act if it breaks down within the week.

[sarcasm] yeh, stay away from West Auckland... all mullets and black t-shirts there... get thee to the North Shore with all the other POMs [/sarcasm] Don't believe the hype. Go and have a look before listening to some Home County Mrs Bucket wannabe. Some lovely wine comes from out West - The Piano was filmed on Karekare Beach out west, 5000 surfers can't be wrong and besides, don't POMs love Titirangi????

Adapters? Do you mean the english multiway boards? If so, I have a spare you can have, love and cherish for your very own if you wish - surplus to requirements now. You'd have to come to West Auckland for it though - lol

I believe that's the case - but a temporary rental address should be fine.

Try http://www.mrrental.co.nz/home/ fridges are about $12 a week, but they bring them to you. You may wish to buy a cheap one off TradeMe. A rental should have an oven, and some rentals do come with whiteware - all depends on the individual landlord.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Arrived now lots of questions to ask

For all your needs try finding the local Salvation army store as they may have what you need for the short term.
And on the car scene try looking in Haymarket as there is a car place there that people take there cars to sell there and theres even the AA to check cars out for you.
I hope this is of use to you.

Regards

Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

It's pronounced bouquet.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
It's pronounced bouquet.
still spelt Bucket though
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi guys, welcome aboard!

Where you staying for now? We use a place called DTR in Panmure for our rental stuff http://www.dtr.co.nz/index.cfm/Home. Got TV, DVD player and fridge freezer. All sorted without any problems within our first day or two and they deliver it all pretty quickly too.
Houses - you will probably get more house for your money in Dannemora/Botany than in Howick. Some parts of Pakuranga are ok. We love it in Bucklands Beach, bit pricey but we have the schools to consider.
Cars - there are a quite a few car places not too far away on Panmure/ Mt Wellington. You'll find that they all tend to be next to each other so plenty to choose from.
Need any help with anything, let me know. Only too happy to lend a hand where I can. Good luck with the house hunting! Carol.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

welcome to nz.....wow i remember that feeling well....its just overwhelming the things you have to do when you first arrive..

everyone has given you good information,we got our cars of trade me.....they have been fine and we got them at a good price......

we are in howick,and we really like it here.....if you need a lift anywhere or want to go and see any houses or that ,feel free to ask.......only to glad to help......feel free to pop in for a coffee and a chat....pm me and i will give you my phone mumber if you want anything......jacky and garry
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:22 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Hi

As regards your questions on suburbs, try this site

www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz

The site lists all the suburbs in Auckland with a simple "good/bad/indifferent" rating plus links to descriptions of most of them. There is also a map showing where the suburbs are.

good luck
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Congratulations on your move and good luck with everything.

Excellent link TIE. Going to save that to my favourites.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:13 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

AA shop sells UK/NZ travel adaptors for plugs. Think they're around $22 each.

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jan 22nd 2008 at 5:13 am. Reason: sp
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

The best place to buy a car (imo) is at Turners Auctions. We have bought three cars from there since I've been here (10yrs) and they were all great and about a quarter to a half the price less than at a salesyard. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else now. Turners auction house is reliable and excellent value and the govt departments off-load their company cars there so they have been well maintained and looked after. I bought two ex-healthcare cars (full service and maintenance logs were included) and no expense was spared on their maintanence as originally brand new company cars so when they came to me they were in better nik and repair than any privately owned car could be, fantastic!

They also have other auctions for furniture and stuff like that, you could furnish a whole house from that place. I had to furnish two offices and I think it only cost me about $500! I got a fantastic desk for only $120 whereas eveywhere else the same thing cost about $300. Seriously good deals to be had at that place.

Here's the link:

http://www.turners.co.nz/Branches/Tu...5/Default.aspx

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jan 22nd 2008 at 6:02 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

LOL! My general advice would be to keep clear of Howick and papakura! I can't stand those areas.

West Auckland is great, just be careful where you go, but a lot of it is great and unpretentious, I love it here.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dlmckay

[sarcasm] yeh, stay away from West Auckland... all mullets and black t-shirts there... get thee to the North Shore with all the other POMs [/sarcasm] Don't believe the hype. Go and have a look before listening to some Home County Mrs Bucket wannabe. Some lovely wine comes from out West - The Piano was filmed on Karekare Beach out west, 5000 surfers can't be wrong and besides, don't POMs love Titirangi????

LOL! Yup, aint that the truth! The vineyards, surfing beaches, and rainforest are the best part! Actually, I think this area is Aucklands best kept secret, I don't mind if we don't get inundated with people out here...not like the North Shore, that place is overrun now! I went for what was supposed to be a pleasant drive around Browns Bay on a Sunday no less and it was like peak traffic hour and such an ordeal with the amount of cars on the road. And all the landscape has been scarred with development. But here, they've at least kept the National Park unspoilt and you can drive around there in peace and feel like you're out of the rat race, it's great! (altough Henderson can get pretty congested too but during business hours.)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:49 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
The best place to buy a car (imo) is at Turners Auctions.
http://www.turners.co.nz/Branches/Tu...5/Default.aspx
I agree - When we first arrived in 2000 I bought a car there after going to a few auctions just to check it out. No problems and we have bought more since. They have branches alll over NZ. In Auckland, teh Penrose one is the biggest & has widest choice but they also have a good setup on the North Shore.

Wasnt quite so please selling our cars thru them as we got very low sales price - however, it is a hassle-free way to sell...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.