Arrived at last

Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived at last

Fri 4th Jan

Went to a friends for lunch the did a bit of shopping. Gail wanted a couple of birthday cards they cost her over $10 (5.50). They were a single sheet, with no verse just a message inside. They were from The Warehouse if she had gone to a card shop there would have been more expensive. This is another thing for people to stock up on before arriving, together with make-up. These things will not take up much room in your containers.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Fri 4th Jan

Went to a friends for lunch the did a bit of shopping. Gail wanted a couple of birthday cards they cost her over $10 (5.50). They were a single sheet, with no verse just a message inside. They were from The Warehouse if she had gone to a card shop there would have been more expensive. This is another thing for people to stock up on before arriving, together with make-up. These things will not take up much room in your containers.
True ! Very, very true June.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Sat 5th Jan

Well it was the evening of Ryan's 21st birthday party and it went very well. We are so glad we splashed out to be here to celebrate it with him. As I said before is was at The Classic Flyers near Tauranga Airport. The manager had set our 10 tables with black cloths inside and we had ordered red & black balloons (21 on the red) from a party shop $120 (65 pound) There was a brilliant DJ (Matt) a friend of Ryan's. This is his job he works for a company but he got a cut price rate for Ryan $800 (432 pound). I have not organized a party since our 40th Wedding Anniversary 15 years ago and the DJ then was 175 pounds. Gail had printed out 35 large photos of Ryan from a baby until now with captions. These were place round the room and guests could add their own. Some funny & rude ones I can tell you. Some friends made speeches good job I could not ell what they were saying because I think most of them were rude, but mostly complimentary. At around 10.30 the serious dancing began and the music became louder so we beat a hasty retreat in a taxi.lol

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Jan 5th 2013 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Glad Ryan had a good 21st and you were able to share in it
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sun 6th Jan

Went to Tauranga for lunch.

Mon 7th Jan

Ryan picked us up and took us to Bayfair, we had lunch at Wholly Bagels. This has not been open very long so we thought we would give it a try. I have to say it was very good Alan & Ryan had Pizzas ($15) and I had a mini bagel with egg, bacon & cheese $4. It was very small but is was just enough for me because I think bagels are very filling.

Tues 8th Jan

Well this is our last day here we leave for the UK tomorrow, cant believe how quickly it has passed. It was lovely having Gail on holiday for the 2 weeks over Christmas & New Year and we were able to spend some quality time with her, plus we have seen a lot of Ryan as well, an added bonus. Gail went back to work yesterday so a friend, Sandra picked us up together with her Mum Chris who is also on holiday from the UK. We went somewhere we had not been before http://www.villageon17.co.nz and I have to say it was very enjoyable. We had lunch here, I had the quiche it had just been made, Alan a piece of pie and we shared a bowl of chips. Sandra & Chris had fish & chips, including the drinks it cost $43 for the lot. If I had known about the Craft Classes they have there I would have given it a go.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Jan 8th 2013 at 12:44 am.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for all the updates hope your journey back is straight forward and easy
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

As always, June, a pleasure to read about your doings, hope your trip home is enjoyable and uneventful, take care.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wed 9th Jan

Our flight was at 18.50 but we set off from Otumoetai at about 11 am Anne was going to take us a more scenic route than usual and have a couple of stops on the way. We arrived at 2 pm. The check in desks opened at around 2.15. We did not check in on line because it did not matter seeing that we were travelling Business Class. We waited a few minutes for the wheelchairs and were taken straight to the Emirates Lounge. There was not many in there with us being so early and they were just putting the hot food out. We had a bit of lunch and I had a whisky & Alan a gin after all we are still on our holidays. We were collected when it was time for boarding and then we were on our way. After 3 hours landed at Melbourne and had to get off, wheelchair assistance were waiting and they took us directly to the lounge. Just had a cup of tea here as we were only going to be there a short time. They took our boarding cards to make sure we did not miss our flight and when it was time to board we were collected again. This is the very long flight and by this time we were feeling very tired so we asked for our beds to be made up and not wait until after the meal and by this time our body clock was saying it was bedtime. We both managed to have a good few hours sleep and went down to the bar area to get a snack and a drink. Another meal was served but we did not feel very hungry so gave it a miss. Landed at Dubai and by this time we don't know what time of day or night it was. Alan did not know whether he should take his tablets or not so I worked it out if he took them when we were 5 hours into this last flight he would be back on track and will have skipped 12 hours. Just nodded on this flight but had to go past the bar area to go to the toilet. Just after we boarded I went and got myself a drink whilst I was there. There were 2 men at the bar and each time I went they were still there. Towards the end of the flight I went down there to get a cup of tea and sit a while, I said have you been here all the time their reply was yes so they had stood all the way on a 7 hour flight. They were quite merry and I got a kiss or two or three not sure, anyway they had had a good flight and caused no problems.

Arrived Manchester 11.45 and as I said in my earlier report our son had complained about the wheelchair assistance so I wondered if the red carpet would be out. Anyway there were 3 of us in business needing this and when we got off we were greeted with are you Mr & Mrs Parkinson and there 3 chairs waiting so I thought great. We were taken about 50 yards then the men disappeared and the 3 of us were wondering what was happening. The economy class were disembarking and of course everyone is dashing the get to arrivals. One man came back and collected another wheelchair so I asked what was going on he said there are 10 more passengers to be collected from economy. My reply to this was just out of curiosity how many men have you got to do the job, his reply was 5 so no surprise there, all I can say is there must be plenty of chiefs but not many indians. So again 1 man pushed our 2 wheelchairs to the baggage claim. Someone else appeared and took us to where the Emirates driver was waiting and then we were on our way home. All in all we have had a great 5 weeks holiday but it is still nice to be home.

Arrived at last-dscn0821.jpg

Arrived at last-dscn0889.jpg

Arrived at last-dscn0897.jpg

Arrived at last-dscn0900.jpg

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Jan 10th 2013 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:15 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Wed 9th Jan

Our flight was at 18.50 but we set off from Otumoetai at about 11 am Anne was going to take us a more scenic route than usual and have a couple of stops on the way. We arrived at 2 pm. The check in desks opened at around 2.15. We did not check in on line because it did not matter seeing that we were travelling Business Class. We waited a few minutes for the wheelchairs and were taken straight to the Emirates Lounge. There was not many in there with us being so early and they were just putting the hot food out. We had a bit of lunch and I had a whisky & Alan a gin after all we are still on our holidays. We were collected when it was time for boarding and then we were on our way. After 3 hours landed at Melbourne and had to get off, wheelchair assistance were waiting and they took us directly to the lounge. Just had a cup of tea here as we were only going to be there a short time. They took our boarding cards to make sure we did not miss our flight and when it was time to board we were collected again. This is the very long flight and by this time we were feeling very tired so we asked for our beds to be made up and not wait until after the meal and by this time our body clock was saying it was bedtime. We both managed to have a good few hours sleep and went down to the bar area to get a snack and a drink. Another meal was served but we did not feel very hungry so gave it a miss. Landed at Dubai and by this time we don't know what time of day or night it was. Alan did not know whether he should take his tablets or not so I worked it out if he took them when we were 5 hours into this last flight he would be back on track and will have skipped 12 hours. Just nodded on this flight but had to go past the bar area to go to the toilet. Just after we boarded I went and got myself a drink whilst I was there. There were 2 men at the bar and each time I went they were still there. Towards the end of the flight I went down there to get a cup of tea and sit a while, I said have you been here all the time their reply was yes so they had stood all the way on a 7 hour flight. They were quite merry and I got a kiss or two or three not sure, anyway they had had a good flight and caused no problems.

Arrived Manchester 11.45 and as I said in my earlier report our son had complained about the wheelchair assistance so I wondered if the red carpet would be out. Anyway there were 3 of us in business needing this and when we got off we were greeted with are you Mr & Mrs Parkinson and there 3 chairs waiting so I thought great. We were taken about 50 yards then the men disappeared and the 3 of us were wondering what was happening. The economy class were disembarking and of course everyone is dashing the get to arrivals. One man came back and collected another wheelchair so I asked what was going on he said there are 10 more passengers to be collected from economy. My reply to this was just out of curiosity how many men have you got to do the job, his reply was 5 so no surprise there, all I can say is there must be plenty of chiefs but not many indians. So again 1 man pushed our 2 wheelchairs to the baggage claim. Someone else appeared and took us to where the Emirates driver was waiting and then we were on our way home. All in all we have had a great 5 weeks holiday but it is still nice to be home.

Attachment 110517

Attachment 110518

Attachment 110519

Attachment 110520
All very nice. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Your 5 weeks seemed to go over very quick.Thanks for giving us an insight into business class.Looks very nice
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I forgot to add that at Manchester when I said there is always a problem there and also at Heathrow he blamed the passengers & Airlines that they needed 48 notice. We had booked this holiday quite some time ago including the wheelchair assistance which we do at the time of booking. He said some people just turn up well then unless they had had a accident or something why should everyone else have to suffer. The lady who alighted the aircraft with us told me on departure she had sat in the wheelchair waiting area for 90 minutes and was taken straight to boarding so did not have the opportunity to go the the Emirates lounge. This is the same excuse OCS/Omniserv gave to my son its the passengers fault by not pre-booking or by causing delays when their things that have to be scanned and they have not placed their liquids in see through bags. Its funny this only seems to happen in the UK. The simple reason is they don't employ enough to do the job.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Jan 11th 2013 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

June, thoroughly enjoyed reading the details of your trip.

If I could choose a grandmother (as well as my current grandmother) I imagine she'd be a lot like you!!!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are home safely, June. Thank you for sharing your holiday again x