Arrived at last

Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arrived at last

Chauffeur driven car arrived early at 16.45 introduced himself and then we got on the way. George the driver took us straight too check in with our luggage and requested the wheelchairs. The lady directed us to the waiting area this was 17.10. We checked in and there was a number of people waiting. At 17.30 we asked how long we would have to wait because we were eager to get the the Emirates lounge and get something to eat & drink. He said we had not been allocated and would just have to wait with a could not care less attitude. At 17.45 I went to the Emirates deck and told him we had paid a lot of money to travel business class and were stuck in the waiting area instead of the executive lounge with no idea how long we were going to be there. He telephoned someone and told me to return and someone would come to collect us. On my return 1 man came and took us in fits and starts taking 1 and short distance and then coming back for the other. We eventually arrives at the lounge at 18.20. There was a lovely menu and I had rack of lamb, Alan had the cottage pie. There was lots of choice, lovely desserts, cheeses etc, plus drinks of course. We got talking to a nice couple (Janet & Jim) who were traveling on our flight but would leave us a Dubai to carry on their journey to South Africa. Boarding time arrived and low and behold 1 man again he said he would take Alan then come back for me. Jim very kindly offered to help and push me and it was quite some distance.

More later about the flights.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived at last

well glad you arrived. think an email to Emirates may be ordered as you really don't want that hassle on the way back and as you say you have paid out a lot of money and I personally would not want to be separated from my party as I am a nervous flyer. Well done to Jim what a nice thing to do
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

The wheelchair assistance is nothing to do with Emirates. Anyway my son is on the case and been in touch with all concerned. If you read my report 2011 the same thing happened at Heathrow. It the could not care attitude that annoys me.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boarded our flight was delayed but not for long. We were on a 777-300 for this leg of the journey and I have to say we preferred these seats to the A380 they were more spacious but did not have the added benefits so would always opt for the A380 if lucky enough to come again. I had had Rack of Lamb & Alan Cottage Pie plus deserts in the airport lounge and the menu on the plane was very much the same we were not very hungry so just had a snack. Arrived at Dubai and were greeted by men with wheelchairs who took us directly to the lounge. This lounge is hugh and because we had assistance someone went to get us something to eat again we just had a snack but there was full english and continental breakfast plus a selection of foreign foods. We were collected for boarding (2 men). The A380 Business Class is very impressive, we both had our own pod next to each other but was a bit hard to get into, but OK once in. Forgot to say each time we boarded we were offered Champagne, Orange or Apple juice. We plumped for the Apple Juice. We both had the Pan Fried Steak with Potatoes & Veg which was cooked to perfection. We declined the starter & sweet but I have to say the sweets looked delicious. We were well looked after by a steward called Brian our came from Preswich so seemed to like chatting to us when we were in the lounge area. This is very good you can order food to your own liking and our course any drink you like. I opted for a tea because if it is made for you when you get it in a tea pot with milk jug etc, much better than the one they bring round from the jug. I did have a whisky later though. Got a good 5 hours sleep on this flight. The seat makes a flat bed and its made up with a mattress, pillow & blanket. I did have a short sleep on the first flight. Breakfast was served just before landing. We had to come down in Melbourne because quite a lot of passengers where getting off plus the crew would be changing. As we were leaving Brian gave us a pack of cards and me a kiss said it was nice to hear an accent from home he is based in Dubai. The were quite a number of english cabin staff on board. Of course when we got off the wheelchair assistance were waiting again and took us to the lounge, by this time did not want anything to eat so just had a drink of tea. We were delayed for a short time so went and had a shower and change of clothes, everything provided of course. Boarding time arrived and were duly collected. There are 76 Business Class seats but I would guess only about 30 occupied. I don't suppose its worth paying all that money for just a short trip to Auckland. Flying time just short of 3 hours. Decided to go into the lounge, a young lady (Kirsty) was there having a drink so I joined her then 1 or 2 more came. The cabin staff had very little to do so a few of them joined us as well and we had a bit of a party. One of the staff took our photos, I got 3 different ones. Alan had joined us now so they took his as well. They gave them to us which they signed. I asked if this was part of the service you get with Business Class and her reply was its something they do themselves but only with people they like so that was nice. Arrived at Auckland greeted by 2 ladies with the wheelchairs who took us to help with the luggage. I had some 4 small boxes of chocolates we had been given after dinner on the flights and was not sure about declaring them so asked at the appropriate time and they were fine. Got the duty free that had been requested, because we were in wheelchairs a lady came and got what we wanted and took it to the check out, so helpful here. Gail was there to collect us and said how much better we looked from previous visits this was all due to the easier flights.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Dec 4th 2012 at 11:54 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Forgot to mention on flights Manchester to Dubai then Dubai to Auckland we each got an amenities bag with lots of goodies by Bvlgari.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a good trip. Sounds like it was worth the extra dosh. Not suprised the cabin crew looked after you, you sound so lovely.
Enjoy your holiday and your grandson's birthday.
Kaz
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Hope the journey up to Gails went just as smoothly x
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

We arrived safely with no hiccups on the way and was able to take in the scenery because we have been too tired in the past to appreciate it. Met Gail's friends Anne & Dan and they welcomed us to NZ. We both had a good nights sleep and woke refreshed. Had a lazy first day, just a walk and a snack in a small cafe. I had egg on toast (2) and Alan had bacon on toast $16 for both. They always bring water so did not have a tea I have to know whose it is first because some we do not like. They were very friendly and got us all the gen on buses into Tauranga & Bethelem don't want to use Gail's car if only going a short distance. Its now Thursday morning here so going to catch the bus into Tauranga. We like it here along the waterfront and also there are many shops & cafes. Tonight we are going to Bayfair there some sales on and thats when people seem to buy their clothes too expensive otherwise unless you go to The Warehouse where everyone gets a bargain.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi June.

Lovely to read that you both arrived well rested.

Let's hope the weather is kind for all of your time here in NZ.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Haere Mai June.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Managed to get over the jet lag in no time at all. Took the bus into Tauranga a lady at the bus stop advised us to pay up front for a $10 card and then each trip we would get a discount. She also said to try and get a Gold card but that is the same as UK bus pass so no we can't. However on our return journey the driver asked if we had one, told her we were visitors from the UK and could pretend we had. Her reply was, there you go have this one on me. I love the kiwis
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Today we are off to Bethlehem this is were Ryan works. Glad to say its lovely and sunny already and the forecast is good. We did have a storm last night but not as bad as Auckland, they had a tornado leaving 3 dead and a lot of damage.
Hope we get a free ride on the bus again but doubt it.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan gave us a lift into Bethlehem and the weather was bright and sunny, that did not last long good job we were indoors when the heavens opened and was quite stormy. Went to have a bite to eat in the Coffee Club then decided to make our way home. Asked someone where the bus stop was and made our way there. We waited 15 minutes then 30, no one to ask because almost everyone travels by car. After 45 minutes a lady passed by and we asked her about the bus (we knew they should be every 30 mins). guess what we had been directed to the Naked Bus Stop which runs twice a day into Auckland our bus stop was further down and round a corner. By the way you do not have to be naked to be on the bus. And we had to pay as well.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

That made me chuckle, would be so funny if you did have to be naked to get on a bus. (or maybe not)
Glad you are having a good time here, keep posting what you are up to.
Kaz
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sat 8th Jan

Had friends round some old and some new, everyone of course brings a plate. It was nice to catch up with people we have not seen for 2 years and also meet Gail's new work collegues. In the middle of this the cat (Dora) went missing don't think she liked all the company. Anyway she returned when the coast was clear she knows when she has got a good home. Anne put a lovely spread on as well and made everyone feel at home.

Sun 9th Jan

Had BBQ for breakfast and now we are off down to The Mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.