areas in Auckland

Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

nickandbev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default areas in Auckland

Hi everybody can anybody help .. we are hopeing to move to Auckland and we need to know what are the good areas to live in with good schools and a train or bus routes into the city and maybe by the beach ...
Also is the cost of living more expensive or cheaper than the UK.
cheers Nick and bev
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: areas in Auckland

Originally Posted by nickandbev
Hi everybody can anybody help .. we are hopeing to move to Auckland and we need to know what are the good areas to live in with good schools and a train or bus routes into the city and maybe by the beach ...
cheers Nick and bev
House prices in good shool zones are very high in NZ standards. Cost of living depends where in NZ you compare with where in the UK. Generally Auckland is expensive, comparted to your salary. Westlake, Takapuna Grammar and Auckland Grammar are shools that come to mind as being at / near the top. look them up on the web, they will indicate their catchment zones. Then you will be able to see which areas fall in their zones for more research into housing etc. Prepare for high house prices there though.

There are other good schools and good areas to live in too, this is just a start. if you look up decile ratings for new zealand schools on google you should be able to find a link with rankings of schools all over new zealand, that may give yu more indication of other good schools.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi live in East Auckland (Maraetai) which is at the Beach and surrounded by Countryside also. 20 min drive to nearest Supermarket plus we do have local shops. Ferry service into CBD.
Primary Schools in the area are decile 10 with nearest High Schools with the same decile rating and lots to choose from.
Howick College
pakuranga College
St Kents
Strathallen
Botany Downs
Edgewater
Elim
http://www.times.co.nz/welcomeguide.shtml
http://www.maraetai.co.nz/index.html
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

If you've got the cash ($500k+) have a look at some of these North Shore areas.

Devonport
Takapuna
Milford
Campbells Bay
Castor Bay
Murrays Bay
Mairangi Bay
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya...we live in Beachlands which is the next village to Maraetai. Its nice and quiet here with several beaches to walk to. The atmosphere here is lovely and people stop to say Hi to you ....its really friendly...we like it anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:53 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Bucklands beach is lovely but becuase of the good school zone you will pay a premium for housing. Approx $400k upwards and about $350pw for a 2/3 bed rental.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:59 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
If you've got the cash ($500k+) have a look at some of these North Shore areas.

Devonport
Takapuna
Milford
Campbells Bay
Castor Bay
Murrays Bay
Mairangi Bay

Agreed, lovely areas. But 500k and the rest for Devonport/Takapuna/Milford. I would say 650k would be more realistic, up to around 800-900 for a nice place with decent size garden. Now I'm not saying that one-off 'bargains' don't exist here, but I would have to see them as I suspect there is a major downside. Have been researching Devonport and Takapuna for almost a year and concluded 500k is not realistic, but IMHO only. Having said that I did find 1 house in Takapuna on for $489k I think very recently, which needs a refurb.

The other bays mentioned are more affordable.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya...we live in Beachlands which is the next village to Maraetai. Its nice and quiet here with several beaches to walk to. The atmosphere here is lovely and people stop to say Hi to you ....its really friendly...we like it anyway.
hi Sarah thanks for your info can you tell me how far is it into the centre of auckland and is there public transport ,how long does it take .Do you know if the
primary schools are ok .Speak to you soon .
regards Bev
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=nickandbev]
hi Sarah thanks for your info can you tell me how far is it into the centre of auckland and is there public transport ,how long does it take .Do you know if the
regards Bev
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Agreed, lovely areas. But 500k and the rest for Devonport/Takapuna/Milford. I would say 650k would be more realistic, up to around 800-900 for a nice place with decent size garden. Now I'm not saying that one-off 'bargains' don't exist here, but I would have to see them as I suspect there is a major downside. Have been researching Devonport and Takapuna for almost a year and concluded 500k is not realistic, but IMHO only. Having said that I did find 1 house in Takapuna on for $489k I think very recently, which needs a refurb.

The other bays mentioned are more affordable.
Yeah your right - $500k was the starting point, i'd agree that its 800+ for a really nice place with a sea view etc.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

regards Bev
Hiya.... not sure exactly how far to centre of Auckland (do you mean the CBD?)... just asked my OH and he reckons about 40K to centre....but its not the distance its the busy roads getting there. There is Pine Harbour at Beachlands and every day you can catch a ferry over to the CBD...that takes 40 minutes I think to get there and you can get discounts if you pay in advance for several trips.

My toddler isnt school age but I have been told that the schools here are good.

The beaches arnt as nice as Maraetai but dont get so busy in the summer because of just that reason.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Yozzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Parts of West auckland are lovely. The Titirangi/Langholm/Hiua/ Waitakere areas are beautiful and not as pricy as some of the areas immediately north or south of the CBD. Browns bay and the Whangaparoa are also lovely.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

cheers Nick and bev
I'd recommend the book "Where to Live in Auckland" - a gold mine of information. You should be able to find it on Google.