Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs in NZ whilst still in the UK?

Applying for jobs in NZ whilst still in the UK?

Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

bennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the rough
Red face Applying for jobs in NZ whilst still in the UK?

Has anybody applied for jobs in NZ whilst still in the UK? myself and my husband have been Seek.con.nz and there are plenty of jobs that fit our skills and we would love to apply for them but we are racking my brains as to how to go about applying (what to write in the covering letter etc) and maybe, just maybe, getting a job offer out of them? This would certainly boost our points as we currently only have 100! I am a legal secretary and he is a plumber. We are going off his qualifications as although I am a legal secretary I have 11 years work based experienced in that role as opposed to qualifications. We have submitted our EOI today but thought maybe we could resubmit it and boost our points if one of us manages to secure a job offer. Has anyone been in a similar situation and applied speculatively for a job or answered an ad offshore?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Applying for jobs in NZ whilst still in the UK?

Plumbers, gasfitters and legal secretaries are not in shortage in New Zealand at the moment.This means that any ordinary NZ employer that would think to offer you or your OH a job would need to prove to NZIS ( Immigration ) and also the NZ Dept of Labour that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up that job. This would include proof of advertising and what training the company would have in place.

However, a company that is NZIS accredited would be allowed to offer you or your husband a job without the above checks as they have already shown NZIS and the Dept of Labour that they need overseas people to fill employment gaps. You will find the list of accredited employers on the NZIS website.

If you intend for your husband to be the main applicant as a time served skilled plumber, then it is he that really needs to find a job offer to boost the points. Not you. Although if you also had a job offer that would boost your points a wee bit.

For your husband to claim points for his trade skill he will have to have been pre-assessed by the PGDB of NZ. Click here to find out more about that.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

hoover23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im doing the same thing (Im a carpenter / Joiner) iv,e got very good points on the skiled migration section but still having trouble finding a company that will reply to my emails etc. Im thinking of just selling up and going over to NZ and taking it from there.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:58 pm
`

Originally Posted by hoover23
Hi im doing the same thing (Im a carpenter / Joiner) iv,e got very good points on the skiled migration section but still having trouble finding a company that will reply to my emails etc. Im thinking of just selling up and going over to NZ and taking it from there.
What points do you have?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs; Lot,s! Cant remember been a while since i checked (Very busy here) Im getting relly fed up with aplying for jobs etc and not getting any replys. Im starting to think il just sell up and give it a go in NZ. It,s just me going, no kids or family so it,s only me i have to look out for. What do you reckon?

Hang on il check the points

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 26th 2011 at 9:30 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Bevs i cant get onto the skilled migration site, must be a problem at there end. I scored over 150 points though. I havent put the EOI in yet. I thought id look around for work first. Just read your about your noise problem. Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:35 pm
`

What age are you?

Oh ! Are you 23 .
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ha Ha Bevs im 49!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:00 pm
`

Right-o. I think you need to recheck your possible points. I can't get it anywhere near 150 as it stands at present.

Click HERE

At 49 you are on the cusp of losing points as you tip over into the big 5 0 as I'm sure you're aware.

Thing with trade work is that it is boots on ground. The employer, if they can offer you a job, wants you up and working soon as.

Also be aware that as carpenters and joiners don't appear to be in shortage here in NZ , then the employer has to prove no NZ resident or citizen that could take up that work.

I'd suggest starting a new thread in the main forum entitled something like Carpenter looking to live and work in New Zealand & see what resposnse you get ;back from the Chippy's already out here.

If you have the dosh , you could take a gamble and come on out here on a reccy looking for a job offer. Be aware that it's not kosher to do that on an NZ visitors visa. You are supposed to declare your intentions.

First thoughts would be Christchurch for obvious reasons.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

fychan66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was applying for jobs from the UK (IT) and seemed to be getting a good response from agencies until one told me that the law is agents have to give you the name of the company and ask your permission to forward your CV and I only had one do that so here I was sitting in the UK for 6 weeks thinking my CV's where going out when they weren't.
So came out for 4wks to have a look around the area we want to move to and stay with friends and have had to extend my stay as got chatting to some people at a IT seminar I attended and got offered a job, result. So as Bev says boots on ground seem to be the way to go as they do want you, in my experience, to start yesterday.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Yea boot,s on the ground seems to be the only way. Im thinking more and more about just jumping on a flight and taking a chance when i get there.
Got to be work going Christ church?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:41 am
`

Originally Posted by hoover23
Yea boot,s on the ground seems to be the only way. Im thinking more and more about just jumping on a flight and taking a chance when i get there.
Got to be work going Christ church?
Well. There certainly is work down there that needs doing.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a chippy in ChCh. He works for an agency (Coverstaff) but since he joined them in October last year, he has worked for the same company (Whytes I think???). It seems to be the norm - they are always flagging up employees in their newsletters that have been with them 1 year or more.
When we applied, Carpenters/Joiners were on the skills list, so we got in on a Skilled Migrants visa. However, the promised job did not appear once he made the move to ChCh, so it was a case of contacting agencies and applying for every job advertised.
Good luck!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Chipy 64 thanks for the reply,Yea im getting nowhere with job aplications, no one replys. What do you think my chance,s are of getting into work (ASAP) if i come over. Il have to see what visa i can come on. Im nearly 50 so i have to move fast. Iv,e got very good references and qualifications; I scored very well on the points as well. Any help is appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:26 pm
`

You can enter NZ on a visitors visa.

Please note

I am overseas at the moment, but would like to visit NZ and look for a job. Looking for employment is not a genuine reason to enter New Zealand as a General visitor.
In these situations, it is recommended that you get in touch with New Zealand employers/companies and secure relevant job offer while you are still overseas and apply for a work visa with evidence of offer of employment. This also applies to those visitors who are otherwise considered visa free. Our website also offers helpful information regarding finding employment in NZ.
In some cases, a NZ employer may require you to attend a job interview before an offer of employment is made. In these cases, you may travel to NZ as a visitor, provided you declare your purpose as being 'business' on the arrival card.