Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Applying for a job but will I have enough to live on?

Applying for a job but will I have enough to live on?

Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

goozle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a job but will I have enough to live on?

Hi all, I've just joined this site as i'm currently applying for 2 permanent jobs that have become available both around Bream Bay in Northland. The salary falls between 40K - 70K NZD..both jobs would require that i live near to work..as a single person from britain do you think that would be enough to offer me a reasonable quality of life?

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a job but will I have enough to live on?

$40k no
$70k yes
But that depends on what your idea of reasonable quality is.
if you want your own place the rents will be around $300 to $400 (or more) a week for something
half decent and unfurnished.That will include rates but not power, gas, sky tv, internet or phone.
Just to give you an idea off the top of my head I think $50k will be around $650 pw.

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 15th 2012 at 12:18 am.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

$650 per week..so based on 50K a year that works out to around 4K a month or 1K a week so your saying i'd be paying $450 or 45% tax a week? or have you included other basics in with that?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

tax rates can be found here:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrat...etaxrates.html

remember you pay tax on every penny you earn at differing rates so take a look at the link and it may give you more idea
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

This'll help you work it out, just put in how often you'll get paid and the anual salary amount

https://interact1.ird.govt.nz/forms/...E8E61A8589.frc

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 15th 2012 at 2:44 am.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
tax rates can be found here:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrat...etaxrates.html

remember you pay tax on every penny you earn at differing rates so take a look at the link and it may give you more idea

65K works out at about 18%...thats alot less than Ireland where i currently live that worked out at about double that

thanks for your advice..i'll apply for the job and take it from there
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:08 am
Just Joined

65K works out about 18% thats pretty good..i'll apply for the job and see what happens if selected i know where to check my actual amount.

Thanks for your advice..
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

After housing and cost of keeping yourself fed and reasonably clean, there's precious little in Bream Bay for you to spend money on anyway.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Ive seen Auckland is about 35 miles from one of the jobs (near Goat Island) the other is at the other end of Bream Bay..where would you live if you worked at either of these places if you (like me) would like some kind of social activity? Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2012, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If it's Goat Island you're only option really is Warkworth. A nice enough little town to stop for a coffee and lunch, however I have only ever been there during the day at weekends. It seems to me like an old peoples place and I'm old enough already , I couldn't possibly comment of what attractions there might be for a young single person looking for some nightlife. Wellsford is far less attractive.

As for Auckland being only 35 miles away, the northern reaches of Auckland, some places like Albany maybe to Goat Island would be approx 70km and on a very good day with a tail wind you might make it in an hour. Orewa and Whangaparoa Peninsula would be nearer, but still maybe not exactly your thing.

Presumably you're doing something with Marine Biology and there must be quite a thriving community of similar folks attached to the University that hang out 'somewhere', you might talk with your potential employer about where that somewhere might be.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Sep 15th 2012 at 10:05 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that NZ is a good destination for a single person that wants a social life.
However, if your like slow country life NZ is the country to be! If the job is really interesting and good for your career you might want to consider moving here.

I don't know about the tax system in Ireland, but in Germany the taxes (on average) are as high as the ones in NZ. However, the German government forces you to save for retirement as well and takes the money out of your pay. That is way you apparently pay so much more "taxes" in Germany than in NZ.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If it's Goat Island you're only option really is Warkworth. A nice enough little town to stop for a coffee and lunch, however I have only ever been there during the day at weekends. It seems to me like an old peoples place and I'm old enough already , I couldn't possibly comment of what attractions there might be for a young single person looking for some nightlife. Wellsford is far less attractive.

As for Auckland being only 35 miles away, the northern reaches of Auckland, some places like Albany maybe to Goat Island would be approx 70km and on a very good day with a tail wind you might make it in an hour. Orewa and Whangaparoa Peninsula would be nearer, but still maybe not exactly your thing.

Presumably you're doing something with Marine Biology and there must be quite a thriving community of similar folks attached to the University that hang out 'somewhere', you might talk with your potential employer about where that somewhere might be.
Thanks so much for your time on this..yes it is marine biology part of the university as a 'seawater technician'. Obviously its a big move (if selected) but i'm English living in Ireland so I've made a move to another country already for the work.
It's a shame to move from here as I really like it (i'd say Ireland and NZ are similar in having a small population so I would be ok living there). I used to work for Galway University in a remote research station (pop ~400) so i i'll be ok being remote but i would like to settle down one day so i'd rather not spend all my evenings sat on a beach on my own just counting the stars . Good piont too about there being others out there.
What with the global recession you have to be prepared to move around in my line of work.
Thanks for your time.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Assanah
I don't think that NZ is a good destination for a single person that wants a social life.
However, if your like slow country life NZ is the country to be! If the job is really interesting and good for your career you might want to consider moving here.

I don't know about the tax system in Ireland, but in Germany the taxes (on average) are as high as the ones in NZ. However, the German government forces you to save for retirement as well and takes the money out of your pay. That is way you apparently pay so much more "taxes" in Germany than in NZ.
Yes taxation in Ireland is high at ~40% although I'm now unemployed so not a concern just now. I have to say the unemployment benefits for the Irish are definately better than in the UK.

Ireland has quite a small poulation of around 2.5M so there are lots of open spaves here too..i think i'll be ok if selected ofcourse

Thanks for time take care.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

For bream bay you could look at Whagarei, Its a bigger town the warkworth (just) and i think has
a bit more going on (just)
Once your out of the cities NZ is a fairly sedate place, Pub culture doesnt really exist here and
most kiwis are tucked up in bed most nights for 9.30 - 10pm
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks i've learned some great info coming onto this site.
I dont mind the quieter times its nice to have the choice of quiet and busy that are close together..it does sound like Ireland alright (with better weather too..trick now is to get the job