Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

anything positive? and whats with the heating!

anything positive? and whats with the heating!

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:38 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anything positive? and whats with the heating!

Originally Posted by lizard
Try going self employed, you will earn better wages and you can get flights back to the UK for around $1600 return
You cant go self employed unless you have passed your craftsmen exams: To summarise arrive in NZ on a limited licence then sit exam every November - used to be only a written exam now practical as well - last i heard a long process of about 6 weeks for plumbing and gas. The you have to wait another 2 years before you can sit your craftsmen exam. This all costs money and whilst you are on the courses you dont get paid and may have alot of overhead costs. The practical only got brought in last year... thus one of the reasons for us goign home, didnt have the money to sit exam, and whilst on NZ wages would never of had the money. My family paid for our flights home and we literally left the country with $300 in our pockets.

WOuld be great if it was that easy, but it aint.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:08 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottish
You cant go self employed unless you have passed your craftsmen exams: To summarise arrive in NZ on a limited licence then sit exam every November - used to be only a written exam now practical as well - last i heard a long process of about 6 weeks for plumbing and gas. The you have to wait another 2 years before you can sit your craftsmen exam. This all costs money and whilst you are on the courses you dont get paid and may have alot of overhead costs. The practical only got brought in last year... thus one of the reasons for us goign home, didnt have the money to sit exam, and whilst on NZ wages would never of had the money. My family paid for our flights home and we literally left the country with $300 in our pockets.

WOuld be great if it was that easy, but it aint.
Hey Scottish how ya doing mate. Been back here a while now, still can't get a job and things are tough but at least we are not freezing due to poor insulation. Immigration seems to be a money making plan.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:17 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by aleybeezer
Wow.

I'm getting scared to even think about moving there.

Also, we're young, have no family to worry about and don't mind "scrounging".

We're both very well educated, still... sounds scary.

you say you are young?? no dependants? hang NZ and go travel the world - there are far more interesting places to visit. imagine the uk with no decent pubs, then travel back in time 20 years and thats nz. the scenery is nice... but i think the alps and pyrenees are nicer ..... they have pretty villages in them too unlike in nz....

Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: anything positive? and whats with the heating!

Originally Posted by aleybeezer
Wow.

I'm getting scared to even think about moving there.

Also, we're young, have no family to worry about and don't mind "scrounging".

We're both very well educated, still... sounds scary.
were kiwis livn in london and are also a young couple..look dont be to easily swayed one way or another by a few posts, have you heard about the other few thousand poms who love nz but dont chat on tha i-net about it?no. y do u feel u have to burn all your bridges to get to nz, guess what if u dont like it then head off somewhere else.easy aye! we have seen abita the world but still rate nz very highly its really beatiful, great snowboarding, greating surfing and losta resort town for both of these activites, check out the bay of islands and bay of plenty heaps goin on for young couples and what is nz's equivilant to aussies gold coast..dont be so easily put off by these posts its a pretty mint place!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
you say you are young?? no dependants? hang NZ and go travel the world - there are far more interesting places to visit. imagine the uk with no decent pubs, then travel back in time 20 years and thats nz. the scenery is nice... but i think the alps and pyrenees are nicer ..... they have pretty villages in them too unlike in nz....
so now nz's not even worth travelling too for a holiday? beta get on the phone let lonely planet know their number one destination is crap