Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone working in the Marine Industry, boatbuilding and all that?

Anyone working in the Marine Industry, boatbuilding and all that?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:19 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone working in the Marine Industry, boatbuilding and all that?

For many who have come to know me over the last couple of months, my family and I would very much like to start a new life in NZ but want to wait until next year (July'ish) until we make the move. This will give my eldest the chance to finish Y11 at school and time to 'get our house in order' (quite literally). We are planning to visit NZ at the end of the year/early 2010 with a view to setting up job interviews for my OH to secure work, etc. We have agreed to sit on the fence for now cos we don't have enough points to proceed with even the EOI right now.

I am doing my best to use the time wisely, but feel I have a serious case of pre-immigration finger, so am trying to do as much research as I can to keep myself busy.

My OH is a boat builder/repairer (mainly wood) and served his apprenticeship with J Hinks & Son in Appledore, N.Devon (known for building the replicas of the Nonsuch and Golden Hinde), and has been in the trade for 30 years, just. I would love to hear from others that are already in NZ working within the industry, to give me the low down on how things ACTUALLY are regarding employment prospects (including wages), and any tips or useful information that may help us forge some links/contacts with prospective employers in NZ. We did visit websites and send emails in April but got very little response. We have registered on Autojobs and have been in contact with Rob Everall, I check the Herald and visit Trademe daily. I know it is still too soon to be applying but it would be great to have the chance to start 'networking'. Unfortunately, my OH doesn't like the phone otherwise I would get him to ring and sound things out direct.

Thanks in anticipation, LB

Last edited by Lizaberry; Jun 16th 2009 at 9:19 am. Reason: extra info added
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone working in the Marine Industry, boatbuilding and all that?

Probably not the kind of response you were hoping for, but ...

A user of BE and a friend of mine (well, that may be bigging it up!) called Liz & Co (search members list) bought their boat over here from the UK.

Mr Liz & Co is a member of the coastguards here and does a fair bit of networking through them. May be worth sending them a PM and getting the low down from their perspective? The Coastguards here at the Mount are situated at the main marina so lots of "boaties" there.

HTH
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:44 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Oh cheers, will do. LB
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Oh cheers, will do. LB
Here;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=51736
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:49 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I know you haven't posted in a while but hoping you still pop in for a 'nosey' every so often.

I saw this and thought of you. Couple of weeks old but may still be useful
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jo...tm?key=1064356