Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone rented in North Shore with a dog

Anyone rented in North Shore with a dog

Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of
Default Anyone rented in North Shore with a dog

Hi

If this has been asked before, I'll say sorry now... Sorry

My hubby has been offered a job in North Shore and hopefully if all goes to plan we will be heading over within a few months. I'm really worried about finding somewhere that will accept our dog. I have been told to start looking well in advance as its a difficult task. I wondered if anyone on here has rented a home with their dog in the North Shore area. Dont want to pay out too much dont really mind how many bedrooms.

Any advice would be greatfully received
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone rented in North Shore with a dog

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Hi

My hubby has been offered a job in North Shore and hopefully if all goes to plan we will be heading over within a few months. I'm really worried about finding somewhere that will accept our dog. I have been told to start looking well in advance as its a difficult task. I wondered if anyone on here has rented a home with their dog in the North Shore area. Dont want to pay out too much dont really mind how many bedrooms.

Hi,

I live in Torbay on the North Shore and live in a rental with a dog.

It is very hard to find a rental that will allow pets. I have noticed the more you pay for a rental the more chance you have of being allowed a pet.

That said, even if it says no pets ask. They may just let you.

Good luck

Carole
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Hi

Totally the same dilema (although we are looking round Mission Bay), I've been emailing agents already and most have said that because we are not arriving until September that it is best to get in touch closer to the time. Tenants need to give 21 days notice and then the agents can market the properties from then on, to give you some idea. Trademe I found the best site to get an idea of prices although there are a couple of other sites too.

We aren't sending the hound over until a couple of days before I start work, which gives us 2 and a half weeks to find somewhere. Otherwise there are some nice looking kennels around Auckland if worst comes to worst until you find something for you and the dog.

We've offered to send references from our current renting agent and also to pay a higher deposit which seems to have gone down well (deposits are all held by a government scheme so you shouldn't get scammed).

Let us know how it goes and I am sure it will be fine! Certainly agents didn't recoil in horror when I mentioned our dog so there is hope
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

We rent on the shore (in Milford) in a house that allows dogs, although we have 2 cats. We found our place through Trade Me with a private landlord. Private landlords seem better at allowing pets than those renting through an agent. We didn't have to put down extra on the deposit but have been asked to get the carpets cleaned when we leave. I believe a lot of landlords like that to be done.

We started renting out here last October and places were snapped up really quick so you probably won't be able to find anything until around 2-3 weeks before you want to move in. Also you have to bear in mind that the landlord picks the tenant they want - not the other way around! Most houses will have expressions of interest from numerous people and the landlord will pick the tenant from that.

We viewed a lot of properties over the space of 3 weeks before we finally found the perfect place with a landlord willing to take pets! We were quite picky though and wanted 3 bedrooms (which typically was what everyone wanted!!) so if you aren't so bothered about area or number of bedrooms you may find it easier than us!

Good luck
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone, think I know what were doing now! Firstly I think we will just try to rent a holiday home for a few weeks as the dog wont be coming with us straight away.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

We have rented two places now with our hounds. The first we found by placing an add in the paper saying something like "responsible tenants with references seek dog-freindly rental property", and the second we got through an agency with a "no dogs" policy!

We wrote an application letter like you would for a job, saying we understand why people wouldn't want dogs in their houses, that ours don't chew or bark, are treated with flea preventative monthly, bathed two weekly, that we clean up the garden after them and so on. We put a photo of ourselves on the bottom, offered to bring the dogs to meet the landlord first and included a copy of the reference we had from our last UK rental. The agency said it was this letter that got us the house

It pays to put the extra effort in and do something a little bit different.

We wish you luck