Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is anyone positive about NZ?

Is anyone positive about NZ?

Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:57 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone positive about NZ?

Originally Posted by strawbie
Ha, I wouldn't wish the sun to be out 24/7, it would be rather difficult to sleep I think!!

Whether I "venture out after dark" has very little to do with this conversation or anybody to be frank and I dont feel I have to justify to you what else outweighs the UK for me. It just does, and my family and I are happy here, I am not trying to paint a rose tinted picture of the place, as I said perfect it sure aint! There are lots of things that really frustrate me here, but thats life and I am not going on a rant about it! For you to say we have only been here a yr 'give it time' is very insulting and insinuates that its inevitable that as time passes we will be 'moaning poms' and desperately unhappy. Everyone is different, fair-do's if we decide in a couple of years or so that we are no longer happy then we shall try somewhere else, the world is our oyster! Oh and its touching that you spent time researching me! ; )
No need to go off the deep end.

I was asking if you go out after dark because you live in the boy racer capital of New Zealand and have never come across one. You've only been there a year and by the law of averages you're sure to one day.

Not sure where you got all that rubbish about moaning poms from, enjoy the sunshine.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I miss sizzlers.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I miss sizzlers.
We all have our foibles?

It does tickle me, us Brits get slated in the media with TV programmes such as Jamie's School Dinners and the like beamed around the world. Thus everyone on the planet thinks we're all feeding our kids chicken nuggets and turkey twizzlers every day (not that I have ever even cooked or tasted one). Consequently half of NZ is of the opinion that we're all incapable of cooking and only eat junk and convenience foods; yet they'll see nothing wrong with their kids dining on cheerios and Sizzlers.

Lest we forget the many thousands of nefarious pies from the Dairy being consumed on the way to school for breakfast.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:16 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We all have our foibles?

It does tickle me, us Brits get slated in the media with TV programmes such as Jamie's School Dinners and the like beamed around the world. Thus everyone on the planet thinks we're all feeding our kids chicken nuggets and turkey twizzlers every day (not that I have ever even cooked or tasted one). Consequently half of NZ is of the opinion that we're all incapable of cooking and only eat junk and convenience foods; yet they'll see nothing wrong with their kids dining on cheerios and Sizzlers.

Lest we forget the many thousands of nefarious pies from the Dairy being consumed on the way to school for breakfast.
omg cheerios! you beotch! now I am drooling over cheerios. And pies. TRIPLE DROOL.

I have searched and searched in canada and found no products like either of them, probably thanks to their silly food laws
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:40 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We all have our foibles?

I think that is because of the British media though. Even the Brits 'back home' think the country is crap because of what the read and see in the media. Then they move to another country and get upset when they see the same crap there! LOL. It's a pity the ones left behind don't appreciate that the grass is not always greener (although in NZ it might be right now!)

Hmmm... Now I'm thinking about the saveloys I used to have as a kid.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by jmh
I think that is because of the British media though. Even the Brits 'back home' think the country is crap because of what the read and see in the media. Then they move to another country and get upset when they see the same crap there! LOL. It's a pity the ones left behind don't appreciate that the grass is not always greener (although in NZ it might be right now!)

Hmmm... Now I'm thinking about the saveloys I used to have as a kid.
saveloys.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:43 pm
Banned

balkanman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think people should not move to another country thinking it is going to 100% permanent move but thinking that if it is going to be ok then you will stay but if not you are always able to come back to the country you left from. People make mistakes and wrong decisions and there is nothing to be ashamed, that's just life.

As for NZ I think people paint too bleak a picture of its future. The world will never be such a utopian paradise that a country like NZ would stop being an attractive destination for many people.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:30 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanman
I think people should not move to another country thinking it is going to 100% permanent move but thinking that if it is going to be ok then you will stay but if not you are always able to come back to the country you left from. People make mistakes and wrong decisions and there is nothing to be ashamed, that's just life.

As for NZ I think people paint too bleak a picture of its future. The world will never be such a utopian paradise that a country like NZ would stop being an attractive destination for many people.

Yes, all things and countries are relative
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

We came here with a totally bridge burning attitude and with no intention of ever returning to the UK. It was a mindset we wanted to approach the move with, it worked for us. 'Failure not an option' type of thingy. NZ worked for us I believe because we worked so hard to make it work and the thought of returning to the UK was simply too dire. If we had the 'get up to go' to leave the UK for the plethora of reasons that we had it would have been a huge shame to return (for us anyway). Those problems about the UK that irked us would still be there. So NZ has delivered all we wanted and a wee bit more, inspite of all its problems and inspite of the problems we have had here..some quite large. NZ will either suit you or not. I see the positive and the negative side of living here. Luckily we are still well in credit on the positive account..very much so. AND all the problems of NZ continue around us fortunatly having very little impact upon our hamster wheely lives. The point where stuff starts getting to us personally on daily basis is the time to start thinking of moving on.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:24 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
We came here with a totally bridge burning attitude and with no intention of ever returning to the UK. It was a mindset we wanted to approach the move with, it worked for us. 'Failure not an option' type of thingy.
Us too.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

This is the attitude we have. We sold our house and brought everything so we didn't "keep a foot" in the UK and we said we'd give it "two years no matter what".

We'll give it our best shot and we hope it works out (only been couple of months so still early days) but I'd not feel bad if a) it didn't work out or b) family circumstances change and we went back.

I just take each day as it comes.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fundforpeace.org/global/?q=fsi

from tonight news.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

We came here with a totally bridge burning attitude and with no intention of ever returning to the UK. It was a mindset we wanted to approach the move with, it worked for us. 'Failure not an option' type of thingy. NZ worked for us I believe because we worked so hard to make it work and the thought of returning to the UK was simply too dire. The point where stuff starts getting to us personally on daily basis is the time to start thinking of moving on.
Us three! We sold the house, paid our bills, book flights and off we went. We had a mutual agreement (inc. our eldest son) to stick it for 2 years and then if one of us was still unhappy, we would start to look elsewhere. After 2 years I was unhappy, hubby and 3 kids were all settled. I 'took one for the team' and agreed to stay. Now, 4 years after arriving we are ALL looking at moving on once we have seen out our commitments and ties we have here. It will be sad to move on but exciting all the same.

I also refused to spend ANY of our dosh that we brought over with us, it is still sitting in the bank earning interest 4 years on. That is our nest-egg that we worked hard to claw together and I'm damn sure I'm not going to spend it on the crappy houses here. It's hard seeing it in the bank and watching all our friends visit family/friends in the UK or going somewhere hot/exotic, but it's my incentive to get out of this country.

I've seen too many people here put all of their money (with that cocky attitude) into houses/boats/expensive cars etc. and then the sh!t hits the fan and they're left with nothing. They all mocked me once upon a time, now I'm the one with a future, a goal, and the means to see it through

People can leave a country no problem, but they still bring that attitude with them that they can keep up with 'The Jones'. It's all about the attitude you have, and the game you play
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Us three! We sold the house, paid our bills, book flights and off we went. We had a mutual agreement (inc. our eldest son) to stick it for 2 years and then if one of us was still unhappy, we would start to look elsewhere. After 2 years I was unhappy, hubby and 3 kids were all settled. I 'took one for the team' and agreed to stay. Now, 4 years after arriving we are ALL looking at moving on once we have seen out our commitments and ties we have here. It will be sad to move on but exciting all the same.

I also refused to spend ANY of our dosh that we brought over with us, it is still sitting in the bank earning interest 4 years on. That is our nest-egg that we worked hard to claw together and I'm damn sure I'm not going to spend it on the crappy houses here. It's hard seeing it in the bank and watching all our friends visit family/friends in the UK or going somewhere hot/exotic, but it's my incentive to get out of this country.

I've seen too many people here put all of their money (with that cocky attitude) into houses/boats/expensive cars etc. and then the sh!t hits the fan and they're left with nothing. They all mocked me once upon a time, now I'm the one with a future, a goal, and the means to see it through

People can leave a country no problem, but they still bring that attitude with them that they can keep up with 'The Jones'. It's all about the attitude you have, and the game you play
Sorry but what is wrong with spending your money on houses, boats or cars..further more why on earth do you deem it 'cocky'? I have put about $550k cash into my house..does that make me cocky then? Even more cocky perchance as I bought the house within a week of being here? Buying Kate a high end car must surely wang me right off your 'cocky scale'??

I don't care what my house may be worth today, I doubt it is worth what is cost me. But I have had the pleasure if owning a wonderful home. I personally do not like renting..certainly not for years. Not that there is ought wrong with renting. And I would never call people who choose to squirrel all their cash away and rent as cocky. So why do you call us cocky? Answers on a post card please.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but what is wrong with spending your money on houses, boats or cars..further more why on earth do you deem it 'cocky'? I have put about $550k cash into my house..does that make me cocky then? Even more cocky perchance as I bought the house within a week of being here? Buying Kate a high end car must surely wang me right off your 'cocky scale'??

I don't care what my house may be worth today, I doubt it is worth what is cost me. But I have had the pleasure if owning a wonderful home. I personally do not like renting..certainly not for years. Not that there is ought wrong with renting. And I would never call people who choose to squirrel all their cash away and rent as cocky. So why do you call us cocky? Answers on a post card please.
Oooh I seem to have touched a nerve! That was in no way, shape or form directed at you, but if you want to take it personally, then that really is not my problem. It was a general post about people in general - no names or suggestions mentioned.

Also, I never said that all those people who choose to buy houses/boats/expensive cars are cocky - I said I had 'seen some'. That is not directed at anyone in particular.

Climb down off your high horse, it might hurt if you fall from way up there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.