Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

Hi there,

I would love to hear from anyone that is in the process of moving to nz or someone who has recently made the move. I'm in the process of moving to nz for the 3rd time (1st time was a bit of a blur as I was single and without kids & just on a travel around the world experience) (2nd time I was so homesick and had kids and just didn't settle or try hard enough - there is alot more to it but I wont go into that now) We are back 2 months now and just cant find jobs here and just feel in general that its not the place for us now that things have taken a turn for the worst economic wise, so we are going to give it one more shot! There are many more reasons that i'm leaving but too many to write down. I'd love to hear the highs and lows others have experienced. So if your in the same boat please let me know how your getting on.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

There's plenty of interesting stories on this board - so have a good peruse. Hopefully this trip will be more positive for you. Good luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it will be better for job in nZ?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Browner_
Do you think it will be better for job in nZ?
I honestly dont know as I haven't been to nz for a bit now. Maybe I will start a new thread on it? My husband has a job to go to but I will be looking for one.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

There's lots of good stuff on this forum, and others, that you should read.

I've only just arrived, after being dragged out by my wife (for the third time also)... we're lucky to have jobs though, I work freelance and my wife found work while we were still in the UK.

I'd probably go back to the UK if it was just me. I find NZ a bit isolated and it feels removed from the real world - despite all the good stuff like flat-whites, skiing, Wellington, dolphins, volcanoes, skateboarding at a certain age...

Take a look around the web too. There are lots of blogs with stories of Brits in NZ and some are even well written.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:56 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington Will
....despite all the good stuff like flat-whites, skiing
Whenever we go past Whakamaru dam on the bike, we stop in the cafe there, the one by the shop. The highlight for me, is that I can get a huge mug of INSTANT COFFEE for $2.50, rather than a half full mug of coffee, topped with half a mug of froth with a pretty picture in it. Sorry, but stuff the flat whites and give me a Nescafe any day.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

Hazeansteve, I don't think you've ever had a proper flat white then.

I would normally agree that instant is best, but even the lowliest cafe in Welly seems to do good Flatties.

There shouldn't be any foam, basically it's a white coffee made with a double shot of espresso and hot milk.

Come out with me... we'll get high on caffeine and then get merry on Courtney place.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:06 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Whenever we go past Whakamaru dam on the bike, we stop in the cafe there, the one by the shop. The highlight for me, is that I can get a huge mug of INSTANT COFFEE for $2.50, rather than a half full mug of coffee, topped with half a mug of froth with a pretty picture in it. Sorry, but stuff the flat whites and give me a Nescafe any day.
OMG! I feel like a heretic when I say that I taught myself to drink coffee when I lived in The Hague - I was 32 at the time and had always hated it but I had such a hectic social life that I reckoned it might help keep me awake So, maybe it's because it was almost medicinal to me but I prefer instant although I enjoy a nice cappuccino when I'm out - I love the Nescafe ones too AND I can have 10 of them for less than the price of two anywhere else!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
I honestly dont know as I haven't been to nz for a bit now. Maybe I will start a new thread on it? My husband has a job to go to but I will be looking for one.
Why not try the UK at least at first? Why would NZ be better the second/third time round? You must have had reasons for leaving. For what it's worth, I do like it here but couldn't live here forever..it is too isolated internally and externally.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:28 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Why not try the UK at least at first? Why would NZ be better the second/third time round? You must have had reasons for leaving. For what it's worth, I do like it here but couldn't live here forever..it is too isolated internally and externally.
your right I feel exactly the same!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
OMG! I feel like a heretic when I say that I taught myself to drink coffee when I lived in The Hague - I was 32 at the time and had always hated it but I had such a hectic social life that I reckoned it might help keep me awake So, maybe it's because it was almost medicinal to me but I prefer instant although I enjoy a nice cappuccino when I'm out - I love the Nescafe ones too AND I can have 10 of them for less than the price of two anywhere else!
Dutch coffee is foul i.m.h.o....I much prefer the lattes here in the numerous cafes and restaurants in Wellington...quite simply one of the best aspects of living here..and I'm not joking.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly
you feel like that in Wellington, you want to try living in Wanganui!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Hi there,

I would love to hear from anyone that is in the process of moving to nz or someone who has recently made the move. I'm in the process of moving to nz for the 3rd time (1st time was a bit of a blur as I was single and without kids & just on a travel around the world experience) (2nd time I was so homesick and had kids and just didn't settle or try hard enough - there is alot more to it but I wont go into that now) We are back 2 months now and just cant find jobs here and just feel in general that its not the place for us now that things have taken a turn for the worst economic wise, so we are going to give it one more shot! There are many more reasons that i'm leaving but too many to write down. I'd love to hear the highs and lows others have experienced. So if your in the same boat please let me know how your getting on.
To sum up I would say overhyped and not the promised land many to perceive.

Many aspects of the country are overpriced and overrated.

Cost of living very expensive.
Kiwis unfriendly, ignorant and rude.
Extremely high amount of immigration (probably a far greater % than the UK for the size of the population) - you would be surprised how many chinese / korean / eastern european / asian / south african / etc nationalities are overhere. Most dairies / florists / fish and chip shops takeways are all owned by asians. It should also be noted that most other immigrants are only using NZ as a half way house for Oz.
Tacky.
No history or culture.
Rip off mobile phone tariffs.
Crap health service.
Shocking driving standards.
Crap education system.
Crap houses and standards.
Leaky buildings all over the place.
Crap shops.
Crap fish and chips (although kiwis swear blind different)
A country that creates jobs for jobs sake so that everyone pays for something at some point - note the ridiculous amount of garages / body repair shops / MOT (sorry WOF) centres.
Oh and by the way.................shocking driving standards!!!!

I could go on a bit more but don't want to be too negative!!!!!!!

Yes we have tried the NZ experience and found it not for us and are going back to the UK for now.............don't know if we will stay in the UK but what we do know is that NZ is nothing like the expectations we had of it and certainly no improvement on the UK even in the current economic climate.

To sum up a 3rd world country charging 1st world prices.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broaders

Extremely high amount of immigration (probably a far greater % than the UK for the size of the population) - you would be surprised how many chinese / korean / eastern european / asian / south african / etc nationalities are overhere. Most dairies / florists / fish and chip shops takeways are all owned by asians. It should also be noted that most other immigrants are only using NZ as a half way house for Oz.
Tacky.
No history or culture.
Crap health service.
Crap education system.
Crap shops.
A country that creates jobs for jobs sake so that everyone pays for something at some point - note the ridiculous amount of garages / body repair shops / MOT (sorry WOF) centres.

Yes we have tried the NZ experience and found it not for us and are going back to the UK for now.............don't know if we will stay in the UK but what we do know is that NZ is nothing like the expectations we had of it and certainly no improvement on the UK even in the current economic climate.

You probably need to change the text under your user name.

Have a great flight back
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Broaders

Tacky.
No history or culture.
Crap health service.
Crap education system.
Crap shops.

OOOOOOOO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.