Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone just moved or moving to Acukland?

Anyone just moved or moving to Acukland?

Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Default Anyone just moved or moving to Acukland?

Me and my partner have been here for 6-months but are moving back to the UK soon. But for those that don't know the place that well we are more than happy to meet up and show you around and give you some ideas on places to see. We move back end of May so we don't have much time.

Send me a PM.
Old May 6th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone just moved or moving to Acukland?

Hi Jay-Producer, my family and I hope to moving to North Shore August (ish) do you know much about that area?
Old May 6th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi Jay-Producer, my family and I hope to moving to North Shore August (ish) do you know much about that area?
Yes I do. I traveled around most of the north island. What would you like to know?
Old May 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we would really like to know the nicest areas to live. We have been told the West side is the best for weather, is this true? I have a job at North Shore hospital so need to be about 30 mins drive away max. Ta very much, Bevissa
Old May 7th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=bevissa65;7547187]Hi Jay-Producer, my family and I hope to moving to North Shore August (ish) do you know much about that area? [/QUOTE

Hi we moved to NZ in Feb this year, and are based in Torbay on the North Shore. We love it, if I can help you with any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Karen
Old May 8th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi, we would really like to know the nicest areas to live. We have been told the West side is the best for weather, is this true? I have a job at North Shore hospital so need to be about 30 mins drive away max. Ta very much, Bevissa
Nicest depends on what you want. I would not recommend Auckland. I'm sorry if people get offended reading this but it is an ugly city to my eyes (im from Edinburgh remember). My manager refers it to as housing workers and not for families. But since you will be in the north shore it is really nice their, so much better than the south of Auckland and downtown. A lot of the areas in North shore are safe, but you do have a couple that aren't that great, but overall I cant think of a bad area. It really goes by street not area. So the best bet is to buy that book (see link) and actually start off renting then drive around to see what you fancy. There are lots of beaches, reserves and you're closer to the city. Stanmore Bay is nice.

If you want central-city bustle or cafe culture you might find better places such as the east-Auckland neighborhoods along Tamaki Drive. Browns Bay has about 4 beach front cafes and Long Bay is nice. Albany is very also nice and there is a large mall their.

Traveling to the CBD from North shore may be difficult, although there is a big motorway from the shore to the city, there is only 1 bridge over the Harbour. It gets busy in the morning. You can expect to lose about 20-30 mins in traffic going over the bridge.

There is also a ferry service from the shore to the city, it takes about 30 mins, but you can get a fast boat and do it in 12mins.

Check this site out and try and get the book:
http://www.wheretoliveinauckland.co.nz/

I wouldn't say the west is better for weather. When I look at the weather forecast on the news (which is always wrong) it doesn't say the west is better. The north shore is slightly warmer than the south. Weather in NZ is so unpredictable.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:19 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer

When I look at the weather forecast on the news (which is always wrong) it doesn't say the west is better. .

Maybe you'd want to think about that one
Old May 8th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're working at NS Hospital, there is no point in living south of the bridge. The North Shore is arguably the best part of Auckland for families, and almost anywhere is within 30 min of the hospital. I live in Orewa and commute past the hospital every day, it usually takes me around 25 min to get there.
Generally speaking for North Shore, the closer to a beach, and the further south you are, the more expensive the houses. West of the motorway is generally 10-20% cheaper than east. If you can afford it, the East Coast Bays are nice. There are no real dodgy areas. I'd avoid south of Takapuna because the drive up Lake Road can be really slow.
Best advice would be to get a 2-4 week lease on a furnished holiday house and do some recce, including practice commutes to your place of work.
Weather - I've never seen separate forecasts for different parts of the city. The NE winds can be warm and damp and if you're right on the coast you're exposed to them, but I wouldn't let this be much of a factor - if it's damp, it's damp. Generally, the west coast of NZ is the wet one, but the real west coast is not really commutable from Auckland.
I'd second J-P's advice to get the book, but you could get wrapped up in statistics and colour codes. Best to get out here and do your own research.

Last edited by lapsed kiwi; May 8th 2009 at 7:39 am.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

When you say "West" are you referring to west auckland or west north shore? West auckland would be a nightmare to get in to NS hospital from. It would take you much longer than 30 minutes as you would either have to go along upper harbour highway which can be very slow, or go in to the city and over the bridge to the NS.

I have lived in Murrays Bay, Torbay and Coatesville. Nice areas up that way (East coast bays) with million dollar properties all over the place, but if you go three or four streets back from the beach, property prices half and you can get some nice big houses for much less. Also school zones bump up the price during intake times as well. Rangitoto College is one of the largest and wealthiest state schools in the country (ignore the swine flu news!), and Westlake and Kristen schools (private) are good as well. Long Bay College used to have an awful reputation, but is up and coming now, but Takapuna Grammar is one to avoid.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for the advice, thats all really helpful. I think we are going to try for Browns Bay, we have a 10 yr old daughter and I have been told that the local primary is good there.Plus we have been to "Speakers Corner" and that seems like a nice local!! Looking forward to sitting outside in the summer with a large glass of something watching the sea!! Am I right in thinking that kids go to an intermediate school for yrs 6 & 7 and if so is there a decent one in Browns Bay area? Ta, Bevissa
Old May 10th 2009, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Thanks all for the advice, thats all really helpful. I think we are going to try for Browns Bay, we have a 10 yr old daughter and I have been told that the local primary is good there.Plus we have been to "Speakers Corner" and that seems like a nice local!! Looking forward to sitting outside in the summer with a large glass of something watching the sea!! Am I right in thinking that kids go to an intermediate school for yrs 6 & 7 and if so is there a decent one in Browns Bay area? Ta, Bevissa
Murrays Bay intermediate is a very good school. Great academics and most of the students there go on to Rangitoto College, so your daughter would move on with her friends.

There is also Northcoate Intermediate, which is larger, but not quite as good. There is an even distribution of students that go on to Rangitoto College and Long Bay College.
Old May 11th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that MrCFD
Old May 11th 2009, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Brown's Bay is great. Has some good shops, cafes & restaurants. Does your 10 year old like tap dancing or maybe yourself. I go to Brown's Bay for my class on a Monday evening. It's an adults class, lots of fun & very mixed ability. Great way to meet people.
Anna (dance teacher) runs various classes on different days of the week. Can give you more info if you wish
Old May 12th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Vitalstatistix, somehow I don't think I'm a tap-dancing sort of woman!! Being an over weight smoker is not good for dancing!!! Still the weight is coming off slowly and the fags will go one day (don't all smokers say that tho'??) so maybe one day. Would like to get back into horse riding one day (and sprog) when I 'm not likely to break the poor nags back, is there anywhere near the area for that? Did you settle into the life style easily and do you have any regrets? Bevissa
Old May 13th 2009, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vitalstatistix, somehow I don't think I'm a tap-dancing sort of woman!! Being an over weight smoker is not good for dancing!!! Still the weight is coming off slowly and the fags will go one day (don't all smokers say that tho'??) so maybe one day. Would like to get back into horse riding one day (and sprog) when I 'm not likely to break the poor nags back, is there anywhere near the area for that? Did you settle into the life style easily and do you have any regrets? Bevissa
Sorry I can't tempt you into the tap dancing Keep up the good work & give those fags up (wagging finger at you!!!!!!!!!) Tried smoking as a teenager but never really liked it, plus my lungs are shot from having pneumonia & recurrent chest infections as a teenager

I'm not a horsey person (suffer from vertigo ) but I believe there are various riding schools around Auckland. Some out west near Kumeu & also further north at Waiwera & Warkworth. Might be worth sending SarahB a PM. She lives in South Auckland & has her own horse(s). She will probably have more info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.