Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone else moving to Oz?

Anyone else moving to Oz?

Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone else moving to Oz?

Hi there,

So Hubby and I have decided after 10 years in NZ that we are going to move to the Gold Coast. Hubby has just got a FIFO job and the kids are super excited to go. There is nothing keeping us in NZ now so we thought why not try.

Would love to pick someone's brains about moving to Oz...What moving companies to use, transporting pets etc etc

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else moving to Oz?

First question is normally "what visa"? - unless you are all New Zealand citizens.

Even then, it is normally worthwhile to plan a strategy to get Australian permanent residence and citizenship in due course.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Ha Ha ....I KNEW you would ask this question. Yes we are citizens here in NZ and will start the ball rolling for PR when we get to Oz.

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2012, 5:38 am
Just Joined

lc77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone else moving to Oz?

Hi there
We moved from Christchurch to Brisbane a year ago and used Grace removals, who were great. Cost us about $7500 for a 20ft container (can't remember if that included insurance). Everything arrived intact and it took exactly a month from packing up in Christchurch to having our things delivered in Brisbane. We brought our cat over which was a pretty straightforward process - we used a local Christchurch company to organise it so that probably isn't much help to you. A lot of the moving companies offer it as an add on service.

Be prepared for lots of bureaucracy when you get here - everything seems to be much more complicated to set up here than it is in New Zealand. My advice would be to organise plenty of copies of documents such as birth certificates, passports, proof of address etc. You will need to prove your identity many times! And be patient - if you don't get what you want from the first person you speak to, try someone else! There are so many rules that even the people working in the government departments don't always know what's what!

Good luck with the move. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It strikes me that we could really do with a 'Moving on to Oz' sub-forum.

All the best with your plans NZGrl
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:15 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It strikes me that we could really do with a 'Moving on to Oz' sub-forum.
Not such a crazy idea, after all there is a moving back to the UK forum and a lot of people do end up in Australia sooner or later, we must have quite a resource of information and advice between us.

It's been a while since I moved over from New Zealand NCGRL so my prices, shipping companies etc. are out of date now.

There's a very good website that will show you all the property in an area that's up for sale, and most importantly it includes sold prices too It's called http://www.onthehouse.com.au/

You'll find there's a wide range of property to chose from from lifestyle blocks to urban penthouses so take your time to find out what you like and where you want to live.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Hey thanks everyone.... I really appreciate your help. Maybe a beer or wine will be in order on arrival for those of you that live on the GC.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have to say that we would have seriously considered this recently but are too old for a PR status.
I do know a couple also unable to gain a PR status but who moved over anyway - to Tasmania.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

flower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yep. Been here 4 years but off to oz, Melbourne. OH company sponsoring us for residency so when that comes through we are off for a new adventure. Maybe before Christmas but maybe after. Would be good if you let usknow quotes aswell. When we thought about it 2 years ago it was about 14500 for 40 ft and 3500 for two dogs and two cats. Can find emails/ companies.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ, just wondered if you can help with a query. We are currently planning to stay in NZ for now but OH (nearly 50 ) works for an Australian company in NZ, if he were to transfer to Australia, how would we stand re:PR? We have NZ citizenship, so in terms of getting in & being able to work, we know that's not a problem.

It's our age that goes against us (I'm 47) as far as I'm aware. All very frustrating really, given that OH lived in Sydney from 18mths to 6yrs old but his parents "didn't think" to apply for citizenship .

Very grateful for any advice you can give.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hi there,

So Hubby and I have decided after 10 years in NZ that we are going to move to the Gold Coast. Hubby has just got a FIFO job and the kids are super excited to go. There is nothing keeping us in NZ now so we thought why not try.

Would love to pick someone's brains about moving to Oz...What moving companies to use, transporting pets etc etc

Thanks
Congratulations
Old Aug 6th 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
JAJ, just wondered if you can help with a query. We are currently planning to stay in NZ for now but OH (nearly 50 ) works for an Australian company in NZ, if he were to transfer to Australia, how would we stand re:PR? We have NZ citizenship, so in terms of getting in & being able to work, we know that's not a problem.

It's our age that goes against us (I'm 47) as far as I'm aware. All very frustrating really, given that OH lived in Sydney from 18mths to 6yrs old but his parents "didn't think" to apply for citizenship .

Very grateful for any advice you can give.
Hey there

Why do you want to get PR in Oz....what are your reasons?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hey there

Why do you want to get PR in Oz....what are your reasons?
I was under the impression it would give us more rights in Oz. Not sure about this though. Or maybe I need to find out about gaining Oz citizenship. I guess I'm just finding out what the options are for now.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno what your OH does Vital, but there's employer sponsored visa options, which in certain situations offer a waiver from age restrictions etc. Have a look on the Australian immi site, but I bet JAJ will be along soon to help you.

FWIW, my ma got her Australian residency age >50 and not really in tip top health, so it can be done but it depends on employment and location factors.

My chum left for the Gold Coast last week. I envy her the excitement and the exploration and all the buzz, but not, if I'm honest, the Gold Coast.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Dunno what your OH does Vital, but there's employer sponsored visa options, which in certain situations offer a waiver from age restrictions etc. Have a look on the Australian immi site, but I bet JAJ will be along soon to help you.

FWIW, my ma got her Australian residency age >50 and not really in tip top health, so it can be done but it depends on employment and location factors.

My chum left for the Gold Coast last week. I envy her the excitement and the exploration and all the buzz, but not, if I'm honest, the Gold Coast.
OH is in procurement BB. He has a lot of contact with the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply in NZ & Australia. He is a fellow of CIPS & is on some judging panel or other (I pretend to listen but you know how it is ). As I say, he is employed by an Aussie company & is well thought of by the executive (from what I can gather). As I say, we are just looking at options right now. Not convinced it's the right move necessarily as there's so much we do like about NZ. Not sure where I'd want to live. Gold Coast doesn't appeal to me either.

I appreciate the info about your ma though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.