British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anybody in construction? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anybody-construction-703916/)

Chippy Giles Feb 5th 2011 2:58 pm

Anybody in construction?

Hi, quick question, i'm planning on coming over as a chippy once i've got my papers sorted, whats the normal way of picking up work, have always been pretty lucky here in the UK and have worked for people I know:D
Is it pretty normal to rock up to a site looking for work? Also whats a hammer hand?
Thanks
Giles

SweetyStacey Feb 5th 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Anybody in construction?

Hey Giles, i'm not much use to you really but my dad is a carpenter too. He has just been looking at nz job sites like seek.co.nz etc. Alternatively if you go with an immigration agency they may help you with finding a job.

I think hammerhand is the same as chippy to be honest.

Also you might want to look into registration, my dad was told by an agency that before you can work legally in nz as a carpenter you need to get your registration to prove you are qualified to do what you do. It's just to weed out all the cowboys etc.

Good Luck, Stacey

Jan n Neil Feb 5th 2011 6:49 pm

Hammer hand is a labourer, there always seems to be work for joiners evreything here is timber framed

Neil

chippy64 Feb 5th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey (Post 9154702)
Hey Giles, i'm not much use to you really but my dad is a carpenter too. He has just been looking at nz job sites like seek.co.nz etc. Alternatively if you go with an immigration agency they may help you with finding a job.

Also you might want to look into registration, my dad was told by an agency that before you can work legally in nz as a carpenter you need to get your registration to prove you are qualified to do what you do. It's just to weed out all the cowboys etc.

Good Luck, Stacey

Whilst some trades need you to register, carpenters are not one of them. My OH applied under the Skilled Migrant route (not sure if that still available to carpenters?) and had to send off his C&G papers to prove he was skilled. He has been in NZ since October working as a chippy but has not needed to register. Hope that helps?

SweetyStacey Feb 5th 2011 7:55 pm

When did your OH get his visa chippy? My dad was just informed about this trade licence thing this January, the agency said it was a new thing?

I don't know, just going by what we were told. It's quite an inconvience if you do have to get a licence even when you have your City & Guilds certificates to prove it.

EDIT: Just saw in your timeline it was october last year, sorry.

Stacey

Chippy Giles Feb 5th 2011 9:47 pm

From what I can gather the 'licence' thing is a bit like our CSCS card scheme over here

BEVS Feb 5th 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey (Post 9154702)

Nope. It's a sort of trade labourer.

Reylan Feb 6th 2011 7:42 am

Hi There

My OH is a chippy and we have our PR which we got through Carpenter being on the skilled list at the time (I believe it no longer is although that may have changed). We had to get an NZQA assessment done and they issued him with the correct certificate for us to be able to submit our EOI.

As for work, we visited last April and I think things have got wslightly worse since then but it seems to be picking up looking at the number of chippy positions available but I guess you can never really tell until you get there - which for us, I hope, will be SOON (if we can sell our house!!)

irnbru14 Feb 6th 2011 11:10 pm

If you go to Christchurch then there will be plenty of work for carpenters and the likes with the post earthquake rebuilding works. 100,000 homes plus needing repaired or rebuilt means a lot of labour required over the next 3 to 5 years.

You should probably go get your site safe passport too, it is like the UK CSCS card scheme and proves you have a minimum level of safety awareness.

chippy64 Feb 7th 2011 7:53 pm

My OH is in ChCh and is regularly working 50+ hours a week! :)