Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anybody in construction?

Anybody in construction?

Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice
Default Anybody in construction?

Hi, quick question, i'm planning on coming over as a chippy once i've got my papers sorted, whats the normal way of picking up work, have always been pretty lucky here in the UK and have worked for people I know
Is it pretty normal to rock up to a site looking for work? Also whats a hammer hand?
Thanks
Giles
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody in construction?

Hey Giles, i'm not much use to you really but my dad is a carpenter too. He has just been looking at nz job sites like seek.co.nz etc. Alternatively if you go with an immigration agency they may help you with finding a job.

I think hammerhand is the same as chippy to be honest.

Also you might want to look into registration, my dad was told by an agency that before you can work legally in nz as a carpenter you need to get your registration to prove you are qualified to do what you do. It's just to weed out all the cowboys etc.

Good Luck, Stacey
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Hammer hand is a labourer, there always seems to be work for joiners evreything here is timber framed

Neil
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey
Hey Giles, i'm not much use to you really but my dad is a carpenter too. He has just been looking at nz job sites like seek.co.nz etc. Alternatively if you go with an immigration agency they may help you with finding a job.

Also you might want to look into registration, my dad was told by an agency that before you can work legally in nz as a carpenter you need to get your registration to prove you are qualified to do what you do. It's just to weed out all the cowboys etc.

Good Luck, Stacey
Whilst some trades need you to register, carpenters are not one of them. My OH applied under the Skilled Migrant route (not sure if that still available to carpenters?) and had to send off his C&G papers to prove he was skilled. He has been in NZ since October working as a chippy but has not needed to register. Hope that helps?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice

When did your OH get his visa chippy? My dad was just informed about this trade licence thing this January, the agency said it was a new thing?

I don't know, just going by what we were told. It's quite an inconvience if you do have to get a licence even when you have your City & Guilds certificates to prove it.

EDIT: Just saw in your timeline it was october last year, sorry.

Stacey
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

From what I can gather the 'licence' thing is a bit like our CSCS card scheme over here
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey
Nope. It's a sort of trade labourer.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Hi There

My OH is a chippy and we have our PR which we got through Carpenter being on the skilled list at the time (I believe it no longer is although that may have changed). We had to get an NZQA assessment done and they issued him with the correct certificate for us to be able to submit our EOI.

As for work, we visited last April and I think things have got wslightly worse since then but it seems to be picking up looking at the number of chippy positions available but I guess you can never really tell until you get there - which for us, I hope, will be SOON (if we can sell our house!!)
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Christchurch then there will be plenty of work for carpenters and the likes with the post earthquake rebuilding works. 100,000 homes plus needing repaired or rebuilt means a lot of labour required over the next 3 to 5 years.

You should probably go get your site safe passport too, it is like the UK CSCS card scheme and proves you have a minimum level of safety awareness.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is in ChCh and is regularly working 50+ hours a week!