Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any UK train drivers recently moved to NZ?

Any UK train drivers recently moved to NZ?

Old Oct 29th 2019, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Z.Hughes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any UK train drivers recently moved to NZ?

Hi,
Me and my family are planning to move to NZ in the near future and after some advice on train driving jobs (locomotive engineer). Anyone on here moved over recently? Is there anywhere to find NZ rules and regulations? Would a UK driver need fully retaining or just do a conversion course?
Many thanks
Zac
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK train drivers recently moved to NZ?

Originally Posted by Z.Hughes
Hi,
Me and my family are planning to move to NZ in the near future and after some advice on train driving jobs (locomotive engineer). Anyone on here moved over recently? Is there anywhere to find NZ rules and regulations? Would a UK driver need fully retaining or just do a conversion course?
Many thanks
Zac
Trains are a rare animal in NZ so you might need to do some serious research into the possibilities of getting a job as a train driver here.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Z.Hughes
Hi,
Many thanks
Zac
Have a look at Kiwirail and Transdev for train driving and/or shunter opportunities.
There isn't much of a passenger service in NZ. Auckland and Wellington is pretty much your lot. There are a few long haul regular services like The Northern Explorer and a couple in the South Island. Majority of rail in NZ is heavy freight, logging trains etc. Suppose it don't matter as long as it pays the bills aye.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:57 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-dat.../train-driver/

Train driver is on the Skills Level list so you would need to make sure you are up to speed with the difference in the levels.
as for whether you can transfer your certification I couldn't find anything on it, but then Kiwi Rail website is a bit rubbish, their job search page has no driver jobs listed.
maybe give Kiwirail a email and ask them direct.
[email protected]

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 2nd 2019 at 2:37 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day you will need the New Zealand Certificate in Rail Operations (Level 4) in order to be accepted as a train driver in NZ by one of the rail operators. There are no conversion courses that I can find, and understandably so as there wouldn't be much demand for a course of this type. It is unlikely any UK qualification/'s would count for any credits towards getting the New Zealand Certificate in Rail Operations (Level 4), however with your UK work experience and qualifications it shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming for you to complete the New Zealand Certificate in Rail Operations (Level 4) course which is carried out by Competenz out of their facility in Lower Hutt, Wellington.
I'd say the best course of action would be to use your UK qualifications and experience to get a job offer from one of the rail operators in NZ and with that they'll put you through the training to get you up to speed asap.
That may not be easy though. There is scope for jobs to be opening up with a high degree of retirements looming and high investment in to the future of NZ rail but doesn't mean you'll walk in to a job. All you can do is try or come out for a visit and line up some discussions with the rail operators for a face to face chat. May just get you an offer.

https://www.competenz.org.nz/industr...for-employers/

https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/nzqf/search...edItemKey=2886