Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

any tips on dealing with homesickness????

any tips on dealing with homesickness????

Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:23 am
Just Joined

caro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nice
Default any tips on dealing with homesickness????

Hi there

Having been suffering all winter from "I really want to jump on a plane straight back to Scotland" I was wondering if anyone else out there (and I'm sure there must be) has suffered from bad homesickness and what they've found helps, if anything?

I'm married to a Kiwi and emigrated two years ago. I knew NZ really well having lived here for a year backpacking in my 20s, and visiting on hols with my hubby. But living here permanently has been a bit of a shock to be honest. I've just been reading about culture shock and the various stages that you go through. First there's the euphoria, which I definitely had for a long time, then comes the hostile stage, which is where I think I am now. This country just really pisses me off at the moment, despite knowing all the great things about it. I miss my family and friends so much, a feeling of being connected to somewhere, central heating, a Scottish sense of humour, decent telly, stone walls, proper old buildings, decent wages, etc etc etc. And I just want to smack everyone who says 'awesome' about something that's clearly not!!

I don't connect with ex-pats who only moan about life in the UK and say how the country's going down the toilet and so on, and about how they love it here so much. I moved here because I thought we'd be better off financially (we're soooo not) and that the kids would have more freedom (I'm sure they do). So it's a conflict between wanting to move back for ME, but knowing that this is a better place for the kids, it's warmer, the schools are open and not behind security fences and coded doors.

I could babble on for ages and ages about this, my head has been going round in circles all winter and I'm sure there's no right answer. We're in the process of booking flights back home next July/August and I'm really wondering how I'll feel once we get back. Anyone felt the same as me and got through it?

Cheers
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any tips on dealing with homesickness????

I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who can acknowledge the feelings you are going through. I know I have had short boughts of HS over the past 5years, but luckily they pass quickly.

I hope you get some good replies.
Cheers
Gill
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caro39
Hi there

Having been suffering all winter from "I really want to jump on a plane straight back to Scotland" I was wondering if anyone else out there (and I'm sure there must be) has suffered from bad homesickness and what they've found helps, if anything?

I'm married to a Kiwi and emigrated two years ago. I knew NZ really well having lived here for a year backpacking in my 20s, and visiting on hols with my hubby. But living here permanently has been a bit of a shock to be honest. I've just been reading about culture shock and the various stages that you go through. First there's the euphoria, which I definitely had for a long time, then comes the hostile stage, which is where I think I am now. This country just really pisses me off at the moment, despite knowing all the great things about it. I miss my family and friends so much, a feeling of being connected to somewhere, central heating, a Scottish sense of humour, decent telly, stone walls, proper old buildings, decent wages, etc etc etc. And I just want to smack everyone who says 'awesome' about something that's clearly not!!

I don't connect with ex-pats who only moan about life in the UK and say how the country's going down the toilet and so on, and about how they love it here so much. I moved here because I thought we'd be better off financially (we're soooo not) and that the kids would have more freedom (I'm sure they do). So it's a conflict between wanting to move back for ME, but knowing that this is a better place for the kids, it's warmer, the schools are open and not behind security fences and coded doors.

I could babble on for ages and ages about this, my head has been going round in circles all winter and I'm sure there's no right answer. We're in the process of booking flights back home next July/August and I'm really wondering how I'll feel once we get back. Anyone felt the same as me and got through it?

Cheers
Hi Caro

I am sure a lot on here will identify with what you are going through. Not been here quite 2 years yet but have had days when I just think to hell with it I am on the next plane out and then the next day the feelings and emotions are back to some kind of normality. Everyone goes on about it being a great place to be but no one prepared you for the homesickness you feel. Yes I can identify all the feelings you talk about the history of home etc. I find it very hard some days to get out of bed in the morning but I have to give myself a kick up the backside and count my blessings and think of things I am grateful for. My OH is in the process of starting his own business and he didn't have the opportunity to do that in the UK so that in itself is a bonus. I on the other hand spend a lot of time feeling sorry for myself and have to make a conscious effort not to try and read too many negative posts. Some people when they go home instantly feel that the move was a good one when they return to the same old same old. Others it just makes them worse. I don't feel I can return just yet. I think you have to give any new country a fair crack for a few years and be prepared for all sorts of emotions in the process. I am feeling really positive about our future for the moment but who knows how I will feel next week or next year. Just acknowledge the feelings and hopefully you will be soon back on track and feeling that zest for life again. Keep smiling. :-)
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:55 am
Just Joined

caro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nicecaro39 is just really nice

thanks, wise words! I've been trying for months to figure out how to get rid of the homesickness, or what decision to make - stay or go? Now I've (finally) realised that I have to go with it, as you say, and acknowledge the feelings. It's just a process I have to go through...and summer is round the corner and no doubt things will seem a whole lot better when we're at the beach, or swimming in the river!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Errrr excuse me, we dont all moan.
I liked the uk, i just like nz more.

why not just go back for a couple of weeks holiday get it out of your system.
Its not the end of the world if you decide to return to the uk, we did just that
15 years ago.
We migrated to australia and realised very quickly it wasnt for us.
we lasted about a year and went home.
We then spent the last 15 years living happily in lancashire but we knew during all that time that one day we would leave britain again.
Home is where the heart is and if it isnt in nz your only going to be miserable.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:40 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caro
Why not just have a week in Dunedin or Invercargill? Not sure where you're at now, but a trip to mini Scotland might help.
Failing that, I'm buggered. Can't advise the normal trips round the King Country, cos Jockland not's really short of scenery is it?
Still, we're off to our local volcano for a skiing/boarding day this weekend, weather dependent. Couldn't do that on the isle of Wight...
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colandros
Errrr excuse me, we dont all moan.
I liked the uk, i just like nz more.

why not just go back for a couple of weeks holiday get it out of your system.
Its not the end of the world if you decide to return to the uk, we did just that
15 years ago.
We migrated to australia and realised very quickly it wasnt for us.
we lasted about a year and went home.
We then spent the last 15 years living happily in lancashire but we knew during all that time that one day we would leave britain again.
Home is where the heart is and if it isnt in nz your only going to be miserable.
hi there
i didn't mean ALL expats moan about the UK, I just meant that when I meet those who do I can't empathise with them. It wasn't meant as a slur on anyone at all, so please don't take it personally...
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

renoir9 will become famous soon enoughrenoir9 will become famous soon enough

Don't feel that you are missing out on too much in scotland ( 100mm of rain and 70 mph winds yesterday ) as the outlook on jobs,houses and money aint rosey.
Family and friends are important to everyone (mostly lol ) but there are always ways of keeping in touch (skype,email,pigeon post or the good ole telephone ).
A visit back to the last place you stayed can confirm why you moved in the first place.
We have plenty friends that refuse to drive more that 2 hours to see their nearest and dearest,since they never have anything interesting to say or do.
Hope the homesickness leaves you soon and remember that winter has started in Scotland already ( only 7 more months to go lol).
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Always try and look at NZ as if the glass was half full. Remind yourself that yes, there are some things in NZ that you do not like, but overall, dwell on the positives and try and think back why you left Scotland and what you would miss from being away from NZ.

I remember when I lived in NZ that all I needed was a taste of Corrie and that was enough for me - living in those small terraces with concrete backyards, ie: www.flickr.com/photos/duncanbrown/2666966151/. It may just do the trick!

I would also suggest that you have a fund set aside where you pay a set amount into every month for a trip back every (say) 3 years, but that is just to see F&F.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Hi there

Remember the expats you are talking to caro have generally burnt their bridges and arent exactly gonna admit they have backed a loser are they. Dont expect any sympathy on here as most are happy clappers who wouldnt tell you the truth even if it killed them. Expats are generally the worst people you can talk too. They soon lose their accents develop a sing song voiceand finish every sentence off with ay or aye. Been in the barbies (yawn) "who did you fly with","isnt it better than the U.K."zzzzzzzzz boring. I can only hope you either get yourself and family back home or put up with "the lifestyle". Read the posts on here and people are torturing themselves living the so-called dream. Why i really cannot answer the word madness comes to mind. Good luck caro hope it works out, awesome haha made me laugh that one all the best

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 30th 2008 at 10:46 pm. Reason: tidy up quotes.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:50 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Patrick2007;6906878]
Hi there

Remember the expats you are talking to caro have generally burnt their bridges and arent exactly gonna admit they have backed a loser are they. Dont expect any sympathy on here as most are happy clappers who wouldnt tell you the truth even if it killed them. Expats are generally the worst people you can talk too. They soon lose their accents develop a sing song voiceand finish every sentence off with ay or aye. Been in the barbies (yawn) "who did you fly with","isnt it better than the U.K."zzzzzzzzz boring. I can only hope you either get yourself and family back home or put up with "the lifestyle". Read the posts on here and people are torturing themselves living the so-called dream. Why i really cannot answer the word madness comes to mind. Good luck caro hope it works out, awesome haha made me laugh that one all the best
You are always so negative and happy aren't you, I bet your a bundle of laughs...glad I dont know any brits like you btw...

anyway if your happy, you will be happy anywhere, generally the brits I know are good fun and we do all like to moan about prices of things and the bad driving , but in general none I know want to go back to the UK.. except one we know who missed Lakeside...lmao..

anyway I miss family and shops but that's about it for now...

much love have a good day
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in your part of the world but i read all the threads.

I'm feeeling a bit emotional myself at the moment and I just wanted to say "well done" to all the people that constantly write on here giving advice and support to others - especially to the people that are settled, and still write the same kind of things over and over again to newcomers who might not be so happy.

Congratulations to all of you who notwithstanding the change to your own lives still take the time out to try and help or advise others.

I am not so far away from the UK in Italy but I have been here a long time plus a complete language change ..... I was here before email - before mobile phones and before internet. I'm still here but I know that if I had ever had the chance to comunicate in this way my life here in the beginning would have been a lot easier.

What I'm really trying to say is : good people ..... don't ever stop - and good luck to all those about to make a life change !
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:12 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that it takes some 2 years or more to feel really settled and accepted here in NZ.

We are into our fourth year now and are going back to Poole Dorset to see parents this Christmas and hope it will reinforce why we moved here, also you need to get out into NZ as much as possible, find those places where you have fun and enjoy yourself, start gathering memories, i also make a point of telling every Kiwi i talk to about how they dont realise what they have got here, the kids dont realise that yet, it is an awsome country and once you get out into the countryside and villages it sort of makes things easier.

Yeh NZ has its fare share of problems etc etc but for us now its going well and once we have been back to UK i'm sure we will want to get back on plane asap and get home, for 2 years i wouldn't call this place home, but after 3 years and running own business and learning to fly fish on some of the most awesome and beautiful rivers in NZ, i really feel at home now.

I had an over whelming day in my first year where all of a sudden it hit me, i could have cried and just jumped back on aplane and gone, but we all have got an opportunity to live , see and do different things in this new country, and dont forget you only live once, its not a rehearsal, and although every day cant be a a party , whilst we are here we should dance.

Nige, Dunedin May 05
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:14 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
I believe that it takes some 2 years or more to feel really settled and accepted here in NZ.

We are into our fourth year now and are going back to Poole Dorset to see parents this Christmas and hope it will reinforce why we moved here, also you need to get out into NZ as much as possible, find those places where you have fun and enjoy yourself, start gathering memories, i also make a point of telling every Kiwi i talk to about how they dont realise what they have got here, the kids dont realise that yet, it is an awsome country and once you get out into the countryside and villages it sort of makes things easier.

Yeh NZ has its fare share of problems etc etc but for us now its going well and once we have been back to UK i'm sure we will want to get back on plane asap and get home, for 2 years i wouldn't call this place home, but after 3 years and running own business and learning to fly fish on some of the most awesome and beautiful rivers in NZ, i really feel at home now.

I had an over whelming day in my first year where all of a sudden it hit me, i could have cried and just jumped back on aplane and gone, but we all have got an opportunity to live , see and do different things in this new country, and dont forget you only live once, its not a rehearsal, and although every day cant be a a party , whilst we are here we should dance.

Nige, Dunedin May 05
awww thats a lovely post...well done and well said...

Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:33 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

HI there Caro, I'm sorry you're feeling homesick, its a right bugger really. I've been very lucky and only had a couple of bouts - mainly when my wee nephew was born a couple of months ago and there was no way we could afford to go back and see him and it's horrible when it happens.

I usually try to think of all the good things here - and how lovely life is to make me feel better.
It's been a truly horrible winter and I think it affected the best of us it'll probably get better now that things are brightening up and the sun is shining again.

If it makes you feel any better at all my mum was telling me winter has kicked in already in Scotland and summer was terrible
We were back in Scotland last year and it was as lovely as ever, but we really missed nz

I'm sure none of this is very helpful! But we've all been there at some time so you're in good company!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.