Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Police here?..

Any Police here?..

Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Any Police here?..

Hi all, Not posted for a while. Karen my other half is about to go into Essex Police here in the uk, now we went over to NZ, Christchurch last year and loved it, We are planning to go back for good.
Just wanted to ask if anyone knew what the demand for police officers is like in NZ or even Christrchurch.
Does anyone else know how the PR works with karen being a police officer?.
Ta.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any Police here?..

Hi Wessa.

I am in the UK at the moment , so all my replies are a bit bitty and rushed.

Please LOOK AT THIS LINK and contact them direct.
They will be very good at letting you know exactly what is what.

What I seem to remember is that your wife will not be able to apply to the NZ police UNTIL she has PR. So, in that respect, it will not help you gain PR.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks again Bev. Thats very Helpful.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Try contacting the NZ Police and ask if they are planning any recruitment drives.
Also, your OH will have had to have done AT LEAST her 2 year probation in the UK before they will even look at her.
Good luck
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:08 pm
Banned

LeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wessa
Hi all, Not posted for a while. Karen my other half is about to go into Essex Police here in the uk, now we went over to NZ, Christchurch last year and loved it, We are planning to go back for good.
Just wanted to ask if anyone knew what the demand for police officers is like in NZ or even Christrchurch.
Does anyone else know how the PR works with karen being a police officer?.
Ta.
While I understand why you might want to move to NZ - am I alone in wondering what's the point of Essex Police about to train someone, at taxpayers expense, to be a PC when they are about to foxtrot oscar somewhere else? Competition is hard to get in and this place is about to wasted.

I presume you've told them of your plans but that they've said 'don't worry - we'll have you anyway'

Apologies if I misread your OP.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LeeMarMit
While I understand why you might want to move to NZ - am I alone in wondering what's the point of Essex Police about to train someone, at taxpayers expense, to be a PC when they are about to foxtrot oscar somewhere else? Competition is hard to get in and this place is about to wasted.

I presume you've told them of your plans but that they've said 'don't worry - we'll have you anyway'

Apologies if I misread your OP.
This quote just reminded me of one of the best comedy books i have ever read, its called Foxtrot Oscar by Charlie Owen and it is absolutely hilarious, well worth reading, i have never read a book that made me howl with laughter so much. Beware though don't read this unless you are VERY broadminded.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
Thanks again Bev. Thats very Helpful.
Hi, the NZ police is always looking for new officers. Strangely it is not on the skill shortage list..well it wasn't wasn't when I came over (I am ex UK plod). However its as simple as finding a region that will hire you and Bob's your uncle..the Bill are obviously accredited employers but Malc's point is correct re any prospective officer for NZ needs to be fully confirmed..ie 2 years in.

There is then an 11 (ish) week conversion course in Wellington. Plod are not as well paid here pro rata in NZ..ie my wife earns more than I would as a nurse in NZ..where as in the UK I earned significantly more than her.

I understand unless they are in the UK recruiting you need to apply and if you are paper sifted you need to come to NZ for the interview, medic, fitness etc.

On a lighter note I have heard of a chap who works for the Met and lives..yes LIVES in Oz. He does 'compressed hours' and thus works full time one month on one month off. My mate works for the same and he lives in Sweden. He does one week on one week off. Long gone are the days where you have to live within a certain proximity of your constabulary.