Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any other Scottish stay at home mums on the shore?

Wikiposts

Any other Scottish stay at home mums on the shore?

Old Oct 28th 2012, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

monsterpie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any other Scottish stay at home mums on the shore?

Got 3 under 5 (all boys). Be nice to meet up with someone with the same accent that actually understands what I'm saying
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

autawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any other Scottish stay at home mums on the shore?

Originally Posted by monsterpie
Got 3 under 5 (all boys). Be nice to meet up with someone with the same accent that actually understands what I'm saying
haha!! im not scottish, im manx, but nana was scottish with a very strong accent! im a stay at home but in Hamilton unfortunately
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, a lady called Laura I just met out here in West Akl. is from Glasgow and has a *very* strong accent. I had a spot of trouble myself getting my ears round it. I did get everything she said but it was all the colloquialisms she was coming out with. It was so lovely to hear but everyone else in our mums group thought we were talking a different language because they didn't get all the cultural references around 'Twenty's Plenty', our wonderful Scottish holiday that took in the delights of Cumbernauld ('What's it called?!'), Clydebank and Easterhouse. And having a real laugh over Michael McIntyres skit on Al Qaeda / Glasgow Airport and Scottish money (I assume you have seen the comedy thing I am talking about?? - it is very funny!!!)

One of my best buddies back in the UK is from just outside Glasgow so am well attuned to the Glaswegian accent. It was like home from home listening to Laura talk about her wee bairns etc... made me really miss by buddy back in the UK even more!

Shame as she has just moved form the North Shore over to here!

Sorry, can't help with your question, I was actually just going to say Laura was saying her Kiwi hubby often has to translate for her!
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monsterpie
"Be nice to meet up with someone with the same accent that actually understands what I'm saying "

Unless your from Aberdeen in that case nobody will ever understand you
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:12 am
Banned

Epen99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tank.
gclub
holiday
พนันบอล
ดูผลบอล
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:16 am
Just Joined

alison w is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alanmacc
"Be nice to meet up with someone with the same accent that actually understands what I'm saying "

Unless your from Aberdeen in that case nobody will ever understand you
Haha, I'm from Aberdeen and moving to Auckland in January '14, will have to polish up my accent!!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Murrayafc is an unknown quantity at this point

Also from abedeen. well the shire and moving to Auckland in January 14. Looking forward to repeating myself on a constant basis, even my sister who is resident there struggles to understand me sometimes........
Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Murrayafc
Also from abedeen. well the shire and moving to Auckland in January 14. Looking forward to repeating myself on a constant basis, even my sister who is resident there struggles to understand me sometimes........
Hi where in Aberdeenshire are you from and have you got somewhere to stay yet?
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Hello, Im from a place called Echt about 8 miles out of westhill. Yes Im going to be staying with my sister at muriwai beach which is about 30 mins west of auckland once I get there, and see how things work out...
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Hello, Im from a place called Echt about 8 miles out of westhill. Yes Im going to be staying with my sister at muriwai beach which is about 30 mins west of auckland once I get there, and see how things work out...
Yes i know Echt - i am in central aberdeen and have just sold our house so will be looking to rent for a while. We have permanent resident visas so hoping it won't be too difficult to find somewhere. Has your sister been there long?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Yes she has been there about 5 years now. I was over at the start of the year and loved the place so the timing at the moment is right so I thought I'll give that a go aswell. Dont think finding somewhere in Auckland is an issue, just an expense !!!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Yes she has been there about 5 years now. I was over at the start of the year and loved the place so the timing at the moment is right so I thought I'll give that a go aswell. Dont think finding somewhere in Auckland is an issue, just an expense !!!
Are you renting or buying? We are hoping to sent but haven't started looking yet
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:10 am
Just Joined

claris is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in Aberdeen and am hoping to move out next year. We are just beginning the process though.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claris
I work in Aberdeen and am hoping to move out next year. We are just beginning the process though.
Good luck with the process - hope all goes well for you. Glad that part is behind us!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:45 am
Just Joined

claris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alison w
Good luck with the process - hope all goes well for you. Glad that part is behind us!
thank you