Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

any info appreciated

any info appreciated

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Taffytigger is on a distinguished road
Smile any info appreciated

Hi My husband has just been offered a job in either Palmerston North or Hawkes Bay. As we thought the vacancy was in Palmerston, we've researched that city a fair bit. However we know absolutely nothing about Hawkes Bay-we don't even know whereabouts it is!! If aanyone out there can give me any info on Hawkes Bay I'd be eternally grateful!!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any info appreciated

Hawkes Bay is generally the Napier/Hastings area.

ElizabethC lives in Napier so she will be a great authority on the matter.

I have only made a fleeting visit to the region and liked what I saw.
Both have lots of examples of art deco architecture after the big earthquake in the 1930s (?).
Napier is on the coast and has a port.
Both are near heaps of vineyards and orchards so lots of fresh, local produce and wine.

I spent an afternoon in Napier, visited the national aquarium (excellent) and seaworld (or whatever it's actually called), which was okay.
We had a night at a backapckers on Marine Parade, wandered the streets in the evening taking lots of photos of the buildings, and had hell for pizza.

The next day we drove to Cape Kidnappers for a gannet safari (it's on private land and the tour we went on was excellent). You get to see the new golf course, voted in the top 100 courses in the world (only 2 in NZ made it on the list).

Then we drove onto Hastings, saw the train go through the fountain (railtracks run through the centre of this water feature, pretty awesome) and then headed out to Waiouru.

I really liked what I saw, the weather was amazing and we got told it was pretty temperate all year round.
Napier is around 90 mins or so from Taupo (but the road is a bit windy). It had lots of shops and lots of history too.

Hope this helps,

Alison

PS Liked it better than Palmie
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Taffytigger is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: any info appreciated

Originally Posted by England Girl
Hawkes Bay is generally the Napier/Hastings area.

ElizabethC lives in Napier so she will be a great authority on the matter.

I have only made a fleeting visit to the region and liked what I saw.
Both have lots of examples of art deco architecture after the big earthquake in the 1930s (?).
Napier is on the coast and has a port.
Both are near heaps of vineyards and orchards so lots of fresh, local produce and wine.

I spent an afternoon in Napier, visited the national aquarium (excellent) and seaworld (or whatever it's actually called), which was okay.
We had a night at a backapckers on Marine Parade, wandered the streets in the evening taking lots of photos of the buildings, and had hell for pizza.

The next day we drove to Cape Kidnappers for a gannet safari (it's on private land and the tour we went on was excellent). You get to see the new golf course, voted in the top 100 courses in the world (only 2 in NZ made it on the list).

Then we drove onto Hastings, saw the train go through the fountain (railtracks run through the centre of this water feature, pretty awesome) and then headed out to Waiouru.

I really liked what I saw, the weather was amazing and we got told it was pretty temperate all year round.
Napier is around 90 mins or so from Taupo (but the road is a bit windy). It had lots of shops and lots of history too.

Hope this helps,

Alison

PS Liked it better than Palmie
Hi Alison

That was really fab info-thanks ever so much. At least I know to start looking on the map now!!!

Thanks again

Becca
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Taffytigger
Hi Alison

That was really fab info-thanks ever so much. At least I know to start looking on the map now!!!

Thanks again

Becca
No worries. I'm always happy to spread my knowledge if it is in anyway helpful (and I know how daunting it can be to move to a strange place).

Good luck with anything and keep in touch with your move.

Alison
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:39 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Taffytigger
Hi My husband has just been offered a job in either Palmerston North or Hawkes Bay. As we thought the vacancy was in Palmerston, we've researched that city a fair bit. However we know absolutely nothing about Hawkes Bay-we don't even know whereabouts it is!! If aanyone out there can give me any info on Hawkes Bay I'd be eternally grateful!!
Hi Taffytigger

England girl always has such good info I don't know how much I can add but here's a couple of things.

Hawkes bay is approx 2 hours from Palmy on the east coast. I personally think it's a great place to live. If food and wine is your thing then many happy days can be spent touring the many local vineyards eating and drinking. (Something I particulary enjoy!) The 2 largest towns are Napier (pop 56 thousand) and Hastings (pop 65thousand) which are about 10 -15 minutes away from each other. Some good beaches close by, all the usual amenites, good climate, apprx 4 hours from Wellington, one and a half from Taupo, 5 from Auckland.

And since it's a nice day I'm off to spend the day sailing and maybe fishing.