Reload this Page >

Another Please Help Me

Another Please Help Me

Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road
Default Another Please Help Me

Hi everyone -
We are firming up possible itineraries for our trip next week, I'd be eternally grateful if someone could give us some guidance on the possibilities.
(If I can ever do anything in return for my constant help me posts please let me know!)
Itinerary
Christchurch - Mount Cook - Dunedin - Te Anau - Wanaka - Franz-Josef - Westport - Nelson - Picton- Wellington - Napier - Gisborne - Taupo - Auckland.

We have three weeks and really don't want to spend the whole time driving after all it is supposed to be a holiday !
But how do you chose what to do and what not to do?
A sketchy ialternative route would involve driving Christchurch - Arthurs Pass, and down the West Coast and round that way as we have heard Arthurs Pass road is unmissable.

Plus if we were to go to one hot spring which would be the best? We have so many possibilities ... we so want to spend one whole day taking in the good of NZ's geo-thermal properties.

Again another dilemma -- either Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound? They are supposed to each hold very separate charms and it would be ideal to see both, I guess I am afraid we will be burnt out buzzing from place to place, and not truly enjoy our time.

I am grateful for the help source on here - I can answer questions on autism and Ireland if anyone wants to ask me in return
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:54 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another Please Help Me

I personally would either miss out Napier etc and go Wellington, Taupo, Bay of Plenty then Auckland. Drive from Wellington to Bay of Plenty is about 8 hrs or so. As for hot springs the BOP is full of them.

I can highly recommend a fab hotel In Mount Maunganuai (cant remember how to spell it). Living on NZ $$s it seems expensive but when you are spending ££s its as cheap as chips. In that area alone you have hot pools, beaches to die for, brilliant bistros etc, tons of fishing spots and a beautiful drive up to Auckland. TBH if you can take in the Coromandel as well if you can.

ps sorry to anyone living in Napier etc!!!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:08 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frecka
Hi everyone -
We are firming up possible itineraries for our trip next week, I'd be eternally grateful if someone could give us some guidance on the possibilities.
(If I can ever do anything in return for my constant help me posts please let me know!)
Itinerary
Christchurch - Mount Cook - Dunedin - Te Anau - Wanaka - Franz-Josef - Westport - Nelson - Picton- Wellington - Napier - Gisborne - Taupo - Auckland.

We have three weeks and really don't want to spend the whole time driving after all it is supposed to be a holiday !
A sketchy ialternative route would involve driving Christchurch - Arthurs Pass, and down the West Coast and round that way as we have heard Arthurs Pass road is unmissable.

Plus if we were to go to one hot spring which would be the best? We have so many possibilities ... we so want to spend one whole day taking in the good of NZ's geo-thermal properties.

Again another dilemma -- either Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound? They are supposed to each hold very separate charms and it would be ideal to see both, I guess I am afraid we will be burnt out buzzing from place to place, and not truly enjoy our time.

I am grateful for the help source on here - I can answer questions on autism and Ireland if anyone wants to ask me in return
Milford Sound without a doubt! Just going by what I've heard and seen.

Personally I'd skip Taupo, but I'm going again this year in case my memory of it isn't as good as it should be. Also second Scottish's recommendation of the Coromandel.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone -

Can't help with anything for the south island, however for the North Island, you NEED to include Rotorua and the geothermal area. Forget about Gisborne and do Napier- Taupo {for an afternoon} and then Rotorua. Must see things here include Whakarewarewa thermal village. As for Hotpools, why not stop off at Waikite Valley? It's Just off the road from Taupo to Rotorua.
Cheers
Gill
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Must see things here include Whakarewarewa thermal village.
NO! Whakwerawera is for tourists with too much bloody money and not enough sense. Wai-O-Tapu and Waimangu are far superior from a volcanic point of view and while still expensive, are nowhere near as expensive as Whakawerawera. They also don't have the contrived "Maori" village bullshit experience either.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
NO! Whakwerawera is for tourists with too much bloody money and not enough sense. Wai-O-Tapu and Waimangu are far superior from a volcanic point of view and while still expensive, are nowhere near as expensive as Whakawerawera. They also don't have the contrived "Maori" village bullshit experience either.
And what are Frecka if not tourists?

The things with Rotorua is, there is so much choice as to what to see in the way of geothermal activity and "maori cultural experiences". However to get a grap on the history of the area a trip to the Museum in the Government Gardens is a MUST. The short video film gives a great history to visitors.

Cheers
Gill
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:12 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Just get a lonely planet.

Gotta say as a tourist here at the moment my undoubted highlight so far has been seeing the Whales at Kaikoura. The town itself is tiny, but the scenery is awesome amd watching a Sperm Whale cruising along before it dives with it's flukes airborne was nothing short of magical.

NZ is designed for tourists, they love you (at least to your face!) It's enchanted me, and I'm a cynical, grizzly old bugger.

Don't be deceived by the seemingly short distances on a map either. The roads are single lane, logging trucks swarm everywhere and when you do a clear stretch New Zealands finest will be waiting - Each cop has a target of 8 tickets per day to issue.

Wherever you go and whatever you see, you will LOVE IT!!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Taupo - for it's great lake, Prawn Farm (world's only geothermally heated prawn farm), Huka Falls (awesome thunderous falls) and free hot spots in the lake. (There's one litle pool by the Lake Terrace car park (opposite Taharepa domain) that is always steaming and costs nothing to dip your toes in).

Craters of the Moon (free and just outside Taupo on way to Rotorua)

Wai-o-Tapu - Champagne pool, great pics (on way from Taupo to Rotorua)

The Coromandel Peninsula. (90 minutes drive from Rotorua). I lived there for almost two years and loved it to bits.
Visit Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cove, Coromandel (great mussels, scallops and smoked fish), Sailor's Grave (quiet unspoilt beach north of Tairua at the top of Pumpkin Hill, not signposted from the south) Whangamata (famous surf break populated by All Blacks when they're not playing rugby) and spectacular scenery the whole way around.

Napier is lovely, but I would go to Cape Kidnappers for the gannet safaris first then spend the afternoon at the aquarium and wandering through the street of Napier looking at the art deco buildings and then indulge in fish and chips by the ocean.

As for the South Island, I spent three weeks driving the SI and didn't see enough.
Kaikoura is a must for its whales, dolphins and seals (can visit the seal colony by car and it's free) and most definitely the kai (food) particulary the koura (crayfish).
Arthurs Pass is a great road to drive, scenery is amazing. Queenstown is a must if you're into adventure stuff eg whitewater rafting (but the world's highest commercially rafted waterfall is at Rotorua), bungy jumping (also available at Taupo), jet boating (Shotover Jet is adrenalin pumping fun), skydiving etc.
Skydiving is better at Taupo (cheaper for the height you get and great views of both sides of the North Island if you go high enough)
Wanaka was beautiful when I went but is now being massively developed.
Christchurch is pretty.
Dunedin is hilly (Otago Peninsula is beautiful and home to penguins, seals, sealions and albatross).

TBH I don't think 3 weeks will be long enough for you to have a good look at both islands. You could probably fit a lot in but you will have a lot of driving to do.
If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

Alison
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:44 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Agree with this completely. The bits of Rotorua that I saw were exactly as you described - very touristy. I therefore struggled to be awe struck by what should be pretty inspiring sights since it all felt so 'fake' - ie contrived. Now I did go to Rotorua 13 years ago now, so I would imagine it has changed a lot in this time, but I would have thought possibly even more touristy.

By contrast, I thought Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel was fantastic, since it is a normal beach that you dig (or not) the pools yourself to gain the thermal experience. Didn't feel contrived, especially as I know a lot of native NZ'ers do it a lot, so not a regular touristy activity per se.

But it all depends on what people are inspired by and want to see.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:21 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone -
Itinerary

Hamner Springs is good if you are going through Arthurs Pass (and it is unmissable)

We did a similar trip and you will be driving A LOT!

Why are you going to Te Anau? are you planning to walk a trek? or just move on to Milford Sound?

I would skip Gisborne and westport (no offence) and slot in Kaikoura for the swimming with Dolphins and whale watching.......and i cannot believe you are not going to Roturara!

I am Soooooooo Jealous, have a great trip
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much to everyone for your contributions.
In the light of what has been written on here we are now sticking with the plan for the South Island (we are staying in Te Anau because we want to do trips to both Sounds)
For the North Island we are now going to Wellingston Tanguai Rotora (sorry for the spellings but I am being hurried out to Sainsburys!) and the Coromandel instead of going Napier / Gisborne.
We head off on Friday evening - its hard to concentrate on work these last few days, its been so long in the planning that the closeness of the point of departure seems quite surreal!

Again - Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

In the light of what has been written on here we are now sticking with the plan for the South Island (we are staying in Te Anau because we want to do trips to both Sounds)
For the North Island we are now going to Wellingston Tanguai Rotora (sorry for the spellings but I am being hurried out to Sainsburys!) and the Coromandel instead of going Napier / Gisborne.
We head off on Friday evening - its hard to concentrate on work these last few days, its been so long in the planning that the closeness of the point of departure seems quite surreal!

Again - Thanks
ah well if your going to both sounds, then I'd recommend a day trip to Milford Sounds and an overnight boat trip to Doubtful. Think you can do it the other way around, can't remember. I went on both, the day trip was lovely, but a little busy. The night trip was less spectacular but good food provided and amazingly tranquil if you can drag yourself out of bed at 5am for dawn rising. The mist rising amongst the sounds was awesome and you could hear a pin drop! Preferred this experience...
I too would drop Gisbourne, although everywhere is beautiful. Marlborough Sounds and Abel Tasman are beautiful, particularly if you like walking.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:40 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Again - Thanks
But what about the Dolphins and Whales?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:22 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Again - Thanks
Have a great trip girls and hope you'll share your pics when you get back...
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:29 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by England Girl
Taupo - for it's great lake, Prawn Farm (world's only geothermally heated prawn farm), Huka Falls (awesome thunderous falls) and free hot spots in the lake. (There's one litle pool by the Lake Terrace car park (opposite Taharepa domain) that is always steaming and costs nothing to dip your toes in).

Craters of the Moon (free and just outside Taupo on way to Rotorua)

Wai-o-Tapu - Champagne pool, great pics (on way from Taupo to Rotorua)

The Coromandel Peninsula. (90 minutes drive from Rotorua). I lived there for almost two years and loved it to bits.
Visit Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cove, Coromandel (great mussels, scallops and smoked fish), Sailor's Grave (quiet unspoilt beach north of Tairua at the top of Pumpkin Hill, not signposted from the south) Whangamata (famous surf break populated by All Blacks when they're not playing rugby) and spectacular scenery the whole way around.

Napier is lovely, but I would go to Cape Kidnappers for the gannet safaris first then spend the afternoon at the aquarium and wandering through the street of Napier looking at the art deco buildings and then indulge in fish and chips by the ocean.

As for the South Island, I spent three weeks driving the SI and didn't see enough.
Kaikoura is a must for its whales, dolphins and seals (can visit the seal colony by car and it's free) and most definitely the kai (food) particulary the koura (crayfish).
Arthurs Pass is a great road to drive, scenery is amazing. Queenstown is a must if you're into adventure stuff eg whitewater rafting (but the world's highest commercially rafted waterfall is at Rotorua), bungy jumping (also available at Taupo), jet boating (Shotover Jet is adrenalin pumping fun), skydiving etc.
Skydiving is better at Taupo (cheaper for the height you get and great views of both sides of the North Island if you go high enough)
Wanaka was beautiful when I went but is now being massively developed.
Christchurch is pretty.
Dunedin is hilly (Otago Peninsula is beautiful and home to penguins, seals, sealions and albatross).

TBH I don't think 3 weeks will be long enough for you to have a good look at both islands. You could probably fit a lot in but you will have a lot of driving to do.
If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

Alison
Great post England Girl (Alison)! You certainly know your stuff. Might I also add that visiting some of the wineries in Hawkes bay is a pretty good way to spend a day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.