Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Amazing! The in-laws installed central heating!

Amazing! The in-laws installed central heating!

Old Dec 24th 2005, 6:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Amazing! The in-laws installed central heating!

After seeing our central heating in England, my parents in law in the South Island have installed it in their new house - radiators, boiler and all!!

Previously they lived in one of the overgrown wooden shacks kiwis called houses and went outside every morning in the cold and wet to get chopped up wood from the wood store (which they had spent all summer chopping).

However with their new central heating system they didnt install a timer switch .

As a result they have to go out into the garage to flick a switch to turn the heating on and off.

I have come to the conclusion that this must be a hang-over from going out each morning to get the wood!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 24th 2005, 6:35 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing! The in-laws installed central heating!

Lol they will be too hot at first with it won't they, until they get used to taking off their outdoor clothes when indoors.
Bet the house walls starts cracking as they dry out as well.
How much was it to install, some of our relatives were quoted $13k
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Amazing! The in-laws installed central heating!

Originally Posted by sky
Lol they will be too hot at first with it won't they, until they get used to taking off their outdoor clothes when indoors.
Bet the house walls starts cracking as they dry out as well.
How much was it to install, some of our relatives were quoted $13k

I think it cost them NZ$20,000.

But then it is a very big house

See attached picture.

Cheers

Buzzy
Attached Thumbnails Amazing!  The in-laws installed central heating!-023.jpg  
Old Dec 24th 2005, 8:21 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

That is one very nice shack they have there!
Wish I lived in a shack like that (green jealous smiley)
Old Dec 24th 2005, 10:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by sky
That is one very nice shack they have there!
Wish I lived in a shack like that (green jealous smiley)

Guess what - they are retired farmers. The richest group of people in NZ (apart from the politicians!)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 24th 2005, 12:52 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Guess what - they are retired farmers. The richest group of people in NZ (apart from the politicians!)

Cheers

Buzzy
I hope they count their riches in money 'cos it sure ain't in loyal family members
Old Dec 25th 2005, 8:48 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers

Buzzy
they've all subdivided and gotten rich off of it.

Jealous smiley too! green of course.

Do you know what company they used ?- will be installing a timer though and want to do it ourselves really.

We're a bit wary though.

Xmas eve had to return an LG microwave we've only had 2 weeks and used 3 times. Didn't heat up much and I thought I just didn't understand how to work it. Turns out I did. However, upon returning it they decided to test it by plugging it in and heating up water. It was still in box, had receipt etc.
I felt like they were calling us liars. That was in Heathcotes in Hamilton. Eventually, they said they'd swap it but by that time hubby was visibly insulted and said we'd like a refund. Cheeky gits.

Next stop Mitre 10 to return a hand drill again that had buckled after one use - tried to get a known brand (Stanley), they would not give us a refund even though the guy remembered selling it, it had a mitre 10 sticker on it etc. we dug the receipt out and by that time and all our badgering, we got a replacement.

Next stop AutoCheap: returning a rechargeable torch for the 2nd time! Got a refund. The teenagers in there just thought it was funnyand by that time so did we. We haven't managed to find a good rechargeable since been here. Most of them say don't leave charged up for more than 24 hrs. The one from Argos is 10 yrs old but chopping wood a bit flew off and smashed the glass on it. We din't realise what fine quality merchandise we had from Argos! It beggers belief.

Oh had Sky installed on 23rd; it 'broke' yesterday. Haven't really had time to watch it yet but thought might be nice last night - daft cow

Then the washer leaked everywhere but I think its been plumbed in wrong. Not by us of course!

Happy Christmas everyone. May your leaks be small and your returns be accepted and you made not to feel like you are lying!
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by mumomonty

Do you know what company they used ?- will be installing a timer though and want to do it ourselves really.

We're a bit wary though.

Xmas eve had to return an LG microwave we've only had 2 weeks and used 3 times. Didn't heat up much and I thought I just didn't understand how to work it. Turns out I did. However, upon returning it they decided to test it by plugging it in and heating up water. It was still in box, had receipt etc.
I felt like they were calling us liars. That was in Heathcotes in Hamilton. Eventually, they said they'd swap it but by that time hubby was visibly insulted and said we'd like a refund. Cheeky gits.

Next stop Mitre 10 to return a hand drill again that had buckled after one use - tried to get a known brand (Stanley), they would not give us a refund even though the guy remembered selling it, it had a mitre 10 sticker on it etc. we dug the receipt out and by that time and all our badgering, we got a replacement.

Next stop AutoCheap: returning a rechargeable torch for the 2nd time! Got a refund. The teenagers in there just thought it was funnyand by that time so did we. We haven't managed to find a good rechargeable since been here. Most of them say don't leave charged up for more than 24 hrs. The one from Argos is 10 yrs old but chopping wood a bit flew off and smashed the glass on it. We din't realise what fine quality merchandise we had from Argos! It beggers belief.

Oh had Sky installed on 23rd; it 'broke' yesterday. Haven't really had time to watch it yet but thought might be nice last night - daft cow

Then the washer leaked everywhere but I think its been plumbed in wrong. Not by us of course!

Happy Christmas everyone. May your leaks be small and your returns be accepted and you made not to feel like you are lying!
They used a plumber local to where they live and he just bought the parts from importers - the "Heat Exchanger" (Boiler) came from Italy and the radiators were made in England.

Yes I found that it was hard to return things in NZ - upon returning an answering machine to the Warehouse which had NEVER worked at all since buying it 2 days previously we had to wait while they took it apart to "prove" it was broken - wankers . And it cost $80 - similar machine in the UK would have been about a tenner.

I hope all electrical shop staff get broken stuff for Christmas so they have to go through the indignity of returning it and being made to feel like cheats.

Bah Humbug.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Amazing! The in-laws installed central heating!

Refunds and returns---please realise that over here certain "Effnicks" and yes I have spelt it right--think about it----participate in the national sport of "Shoplifting/and the me no speakyEnglish/100yds dash across the carpark" refunds can make you a nice little earner, along with the DPB -5 rugrats(all different fathers), "P" selling and a little light thieving rounds out a career choice hard to resist.

Me cynical? Never!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We're a bit wary though.

OMG.... thats bad!! All at once!!??

When we got here we ordered some furniture and bedroom set from a certain large shop... when they delivered the settee it was damaged at the ends... the delivery guys wouldnt take it back with them. I rang the shop and they arranged to come and pick it up. I waited in for them to collect it (with a toddler...not fun being stuck in!) and they never turned up. I rang and they said they would come and collect it the next day....so we waited in all day... guess what.... no collection. I wasnt too chuffed by this time.... I didnt ring as I was too grumpy by then... the shop rang the next day and asked me if I could wait in that day for them to come and collect it... I basically told her where her shop could go (politely of course! )....I said I'd been stuck in for the last few days waiting for them to collect and I got no apology or explanation.

Meanwhile when we moved into our rented house we had arranged for the same shop to deliver the bedroom set. We had ordered the complete package... bed, cabinets, dressing table and mirror, and sheets, duvet, pillows etc. The bed got delivered late afternoon..... no mattress!! The poor delivery guy knew nothing about all the other bits apart from the cabinets he said wouldnt arrive for several weeks. He had to come back in the evening and bring us the mattress so we could go to bed.... wasnt his fault! He came back with the mattress and pillows but the sheets were the wrong ones.... arghhhh.... I just gave up then and accepted what they had brought.... havnt bought anything else from that shop!! We never got a duvet cover at all from them and had to drive back to the shop and get one from the display.

We bought a second settee from a smallish cheapo place and the service was excellent...they delivered when they said.... one of the cushions was wrong and they promptly came back and changed it for the right one!

Last edited by SarahB; Dec 27th 2005 at 7:54 am.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:44 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

We're a bit wary though.

JONAH ?
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As a result they have to go out into the garage to flick a switch to turn the heating on and off.

Buzzy
Get the so-called Craftsman to come back and rectify this huge oversight. They've paid enough money for a working system.
What gas-fitter would forget something as fundemental as that ?
Bring on the new rules re continued gas-fitting registration. Might do something for the standards.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Yes it will seem strange for them being able to spend winters INDOORS instead of outdoors for the warmth.
Wonder if they can afford to run it though? They'll have a shock when they get their first power bill wont they?
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Mumu what a bad time you have had with goods, usually it is us who has had to return every electrical item we have bought so far as the 1st one never works! Amazing but true.
This year it was a portable DVD player for the kids, we had to return it to K-Mart, they were surprised it was returned as 'they hadn't had any problems with this brand before"...yes well, there's always one! Ours!
They had none in stock or so they thought so offered us a credit note, which I refused point blank! I mean, what use is a credit note to a kid on Boxing Day? He wanted a DVD player not a flaming credit note. Anyway, eventually the woman looked in the back store and found one, sorted.
One happy chappy.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:49 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember Hubby was asked to leave the bloody Warehouse of all shops. He unknowingly stood in the wrong queue for returns and the girl wouldnt serve him, even though there was noone behind him, she was so rude about his accent etc and the store asked him to leave haha. We reported her racism to the manager and got a lovely letter back!!!