Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Am I being oversensitive?

Am I being oversensitive?

Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Am I being oversensitive?

There is a trailer for the new UK drama The Widower being played on TVNZ at the moment. The drama concerns the story of a Brit, Malcolm Webster, who killed his wife in the UK, moved to Auckland, tried the same with his Kiwi wife, before moving back to the UK doing it again to his British fiancee.

My issue is, if you watch the trailer, the voiceover man states, quite categorically, "He's not one of us". Am I the only one thinks this is out of order? Would they be so explicit if the perpetrator was Chinese, Black or Japanese?

By their rationale, will it be OK for me to be discriminated because I'm "not one of them"?

Signed,

Angry in Wellington
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I being oversensitive?

Can't say anything about the voice over but watch the program. It's quite good although I couldn't keep a straight face as the guy who plays Malcolm was in The league of Gentlemen and all I kept thinking of was Edward and Tubbs in the local shop
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Could it not be that when they say "he's not one of us", they mean we're not a murdering wife/fiancee beater like the main character is portrayed to be?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Could it not be that when they say "he's not one of us", they mean we're not a murdering wife/fiancee beater like the main character is portrayed to be?
If that is the intended sentiment, would it not have been better to say "we're not like him?"
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

simple answer

YES your reacting.

go for a walk to take your mind off it but make sure you leave your high horse behind

Jeez.....really !!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_and_T
If that is the intended sentiment, would it not have been better to say "we're not like him?"
Whoever the voice over person or should I say the people who wrote the script for the voiceover man to read are, I seriously doubt would have thought our he's not one of us will offend someone.

Just remember, this country is extremely laid back. This is a country who had a former MP that joked about gay marriage - which led to become one of the big hits of last year. A country where Fatso is a legal name for a company (video rental company). Pak and Save use a stick yellow man on their ads. The amount of complaints about Air New Zealands new safety video were minimal from Kiwis.

7 Days wouldn't survive if the culture of offensiveness in this country was similar to Uncle Sam or Blighty.

It's something to note about being here. There are plenty of things that are said and done here, that would easily offend people in Blighty, or would never ever happen in Blighty. In one way it's a good thing, one way it's a bad. No one here is offended about Thomas the Tank Engine for example.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Forgot something mind

Is there anyone else on here who's not sure about trusting British Paints anymore?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

It's something to note about being here. There are plenty of things that are said and done here, that would easily offend people in Blighty, or would never ever happen in Blighty. In one way it's a good thing, one way it's a bad. No one here is offended about Thomas the Tank Engine for example.
I'd agree with you apart from the fact when anyone says something remotely negative about NZ 4.5 million kiwi's are up in arms.
Toby Foster from Radio Sheffield made national news here cos he'd said something about NZ on his breakfast show on Radio Sheffield. Bonkers.

......plus, 7 days is tame compared to 8 Cats or Mock the Week, and a whole lot unfunnier!!!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a problem with Thomas the Tank Engine???
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:08 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_and_T
There is a trailer for the new UK drama The Widower being played on TVNZ at the moment. The drama concerns the story of a Brit, Malcolm Webster, who killed his wife in the UK, moved to Auckland, tried the same with his Kiwi wife, before moving back to the UK doing it again to his British fiancee.

My issue is, if you watch the trailer, the voiceover man states, quite categorically, "He's not one of us". Am I the only one thinks this is out of order? Would they be so explicit if the perpetrator was Chinese, Black or Japanese?

By their rationale, will it be OK for me to be discriminated because I'm "not one of them"?

Signed,

Angry in Wellington

Yeah the, 'one of us' mentality of kiwi's gets on my nerves or worse still, 'not one of us'. I agree with the sentiment, 'we're not like him' in regard to wife murderer Malcolm Webster, as this is what the drama is about.

I'll watch it but struggle to take the drama seriously as the lead is the bloke who was the Dad of the murdered boy in, 'Broadchurch'. As that's still fresh in my mind I can still see him as that character.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot something mind

Is there anyone else on here who's not sure about trusting British Paints anymore?
Rolf Harris has been found guilty of all 12 charges of child sex abuse. He gets his sentence on Friday.

Can you guess what it is yet ?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Aaah yeah the Toby Foster comments. Made just after the Aussie girl had a bungy jump accident in Africa. Didn't he say something of the lines of excitement from her boring NZ life. He used to be a barrel of laughs on that show, until Radio Sheffield got rid of him last year.

Oh and the problem with Tommy Tank Engine is that it is sexist and stops women from becoming train drivers.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Rolf Harris has been found guilty of all 12 charges of child sex abuse. He gets his sentence on Friday.

Can you guess what it is yet ?

After the trial started with a rendition of Jake the Peg, the judge today ended it with a rousing chorus of "Send the paedophile down, sport. Send the paedophile down."
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:53 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Is this one of those threads where we all talk about our first world problems? If so, that's a cracking first post, well done S_and_T...
Old Jul 1st 2014, 8:02 am

No reference to wearing shorts and jandals in winter yet Pom_ChCh ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.