Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to flying ??

Alternatives to flying ??

Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:32 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternatives to flying ??

There's a lad in the UK that rode an Oz postie motorbike from Oz to UK...good book to read...can't see the title it's on my Kindle that has a flat battery
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
There's a lad in the UK that rode an Oz postie motorbike from Oz to UK...good book to read...can't see the title it's on my Kindle that has a flat battery
There are some really good books about people doing that kind of trek aren't there, I love them, specially how they cope going across the wilder bits of Asia.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:09 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are some really good books about people doing that kind of trek aren't there, I love them, specially how they cope going across the wilder bits of Asia.
Yes that young lad went through some really troubled countries to get back to the UK. He gave a talk at my old UK M/C club after I had got here...damn
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

I travelled to Auckland from Europe via the Panama canal in 2004 and back again in 2005. The people I used were http://www.strandtravelltd.co.uk/
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matelot
I travelled to Auckland from Europe via the Panama canal in 2004 and back again in 2005. The people I used were http://www.strandtravelltd.co.uk/
That looks absolutely fantastic.

Tilbury (UK) Dunkirk (France) Le Havre (France) New York (USA) Savannah, Georgia (USA) Kingston (Jamaica) Cartagena (Colombia) Panama Canal (Panama) Papeete (Tahiti) Nouméa (New Caledonia) Sydney (Australia) Melbourne (Australia)

Going straight on my bucket list.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
What about swim and walk???
He's in his late 70's

Originally Posted by Helen256
My uncle got from the UK to Australia by hitching a ride by various means and some were animals...!
He's in his late 70's

Originally Posted by Stormer999
There's a lad in the UK that rode an Oz postie motorbike from Oz to UK
He's in his late 70's

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I believe digging would be the most direct route.
I looked in to this option but from his back garden it would bring him out in the middle
of the Southern Ocean

http://www.freemaptools.com/tunnel-t...-the-earth.htm
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:47 am

Spent today salmon fishing with a young 89 year old ! after 5 hours I was too tired and left him there to carry on!
Late 70's.....jog back!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
He's in his late 70's

Did any of the sea going options help at all Col ?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know yet, he's away on his jollies until the end of the month so I cant contact him.
The sea routes look like the only real options but I dont know if I want him stuck on a container
ship for for weeks on end and its pretty expensive, it'd be around 16 to 20 thousand pounds just for the journey !!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:39 pm

Dont know yet, he's away on his jollies until the end of the month so I cant contact him.
The sea routes look like the only real options but I dont know if I want him stuck on a container
ship for for weeks on end and its pretty expensive, it'd be around 16 to 20 thousand pounds just for the journey !!
I do remember a TV prog where Micheal Palin was passenger on a freighter and he did point out that you need to take plenty of books!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought but could you look at a repositioning cruise where the ship comes from the UK to NZ not stopping much as its just repositioning. Go one way, then he can holiday and cruise home again.
Certainly cheaper than the freight option.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It looked like the sort of travel older folks enjoy - and he wouldn't be alone. It didn't look anywhere as near as rough as I expected.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

I met a couple of travellers in Malaysia who were from Denmark. They had travelled over land to Malaysia and planned to boat it to Aceh then into Darwin and down through OZ to Melbourne with the view to freighting it Argentina, whether they made it or not ill never know.

If money is no object then you could have a lot of fun, although saying that things can be done on a shoestring if your willing to rough it a little

Might not be your old mans cup of tea though.

Id love to have a go though
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to all for the help, things dont look very good for getting him down here but I've got some options to look into
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks to all for the help, things dont look very good for getting him down here but I've got some options to look into

Col.

I like the idea of the repositioning cruise thing. May be more cost effective.