Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

All things British

Wikiposts

All things British

Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default All things British

Originally Posted by kwprwn
thats not like you...dont even know what you said

you dont miss britain then?
Not one bit......but I had to delete that post as it was a little crass.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: All things British

Originally Posted by sky
I watched a film on video that I taped about 20yrs ago and it also had the news on reporting that the fireman burnt in the Kings Cross underground fire was being let out of hospital, there was also news about ships being shot at in the Gulf and how Prince William was fidgeting in church for the Christmas day service. Then I watched Russ Abbots Xmas special, a series of Eastenders and Only Fools and Horses. It was a right trip down memory lane I can tell you as I had forgotten I even had taped it all and a very xmassy feel to it all compared to the NZ xmas television.
I used to love coming out of work in Chester in december at night as all the christmas lights were up

It didnt feel the same to come out of work here and it was warm and daylight

I will get used to it, but am sure it will take a couple of christmas's at least

I dont think I have any old stuff like that, we were a bit brutal and threw loads of stuff out when we came here
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Not one bit......but I had to delete that post as it was a little crass.
not like your normal rude ones, they always make me snigger

how long you been away?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
There's an "international foods" aisle in a local supermarket here, and if I ever have reason to go there, I have to resist the urge to visit aisle 9... I could easily bankrupt us there. But there's too much chocolate in the British section. I can't resist a good Flake though.

We make our own curries and there are some good curry houses around here, so I really don't miss that.

What I miss is Brit telly... thankfully we have BBC America. We get some of the good programmes, but it's owned by TLC (which also owns the Discovery Channel) so we don't get all the good stuff. Actually we get a remarkably large number of repeats and very very old stuff. We still get the occasional episode of "Coupling" though, which absolutely rules!

Much more than that... well it's been 15 years and I've been back every year, so I get my fill.
There are a few brit shops around auckland, but the only thing that I get the urge to buy are walkers crisps...yummy

When I first came to NZ on holiday 11 years ago, i didnt like the cadburys chocolate, but it tastes the same as the uk stuff does now which I am not so sure thats a good thing
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

not like your normal rude ones, they always make me snigger

how long you been away?
7 years now............should have done this a lot earlier in my life..............
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

7 years now............should have done this a lot earlier in my life..............
ah right

well i guess not everyone misses the uk, but everyone has their own feelings on stuff like this, and the longer you are away the less you miss stuff

karma to nice guy for being a nice guy, even if he reckons he is an old misery guts you know BE wouldnt be the same with out your little remarks, except it wont let me give you any more just yet
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

............... except it wont let me give you any more just yet
Mrs Nice Guy sometimes says that as well............
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Mrs Nice Guy sometimes says that as well............
see i told you
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Now this can be as sad as you make it or not...but its all a bit of fun and to see how patriotic you feel now you no longer live there

Now when you see things on TV that are British, such as TV programmes, or British Music or basically anything British, do you linger and watch it more than you would of done if you were still living in the UK/ Or do you think you will when you move here?

I do more so with music that I see on telly now, and some of the UK programmes....with the exception of Coronation Street ( i cant bear it now and never have been able to)

This is just for a bit of fun...am bored at work and am trying to stop myself fall asleep

Answers on a Postcard please

and you can call me as sad as you like I dont care
As a Cardiff person, I avidly watch every episode of Dr Who - not because I particualrly enjoy the programme but I spend the whole time spotting local landamrks in Cardiff where it's filmed.

How sad is that!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:33 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

I used to love coming out of work in Chester in december at night as all the christmas lights were up

It didnt feel the same to come out of work here and it was warm and daylight

I will get used to it, but am sure it will take a couple of christmas's at least
Totally with you on this one. Christmas is my worst time in NZ. In fact I dont like Christmas in NZ at all and if I could afford to go back to the UK every christmas I would. I think I have got used to it being hot and light at Christmas time but I what I havent got used to is the way everyone deserts Auckland! at that time of year. Even my husbands parents always go away so its not like there is always a good ol' family get together and friends all sod off as well so if we dont go away with them, were stuck on our own!!! which I absolutly hate. Something to do with being an only child possibly as doesnt bother my hubby at all. I know its because most people get a two week break and its hot so they want to go away but wheres the Christmas spirit! So not my favourite time of year in NZ. Also, whats happened to Slade and Merry Christmas Everybody, its never played on the radio here at Christmas and I'm afraid Snoopy's Christmas just doesnt cut it!! Sorry, rant over but once I get started on this subject, well
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:13 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

But you gotta give the Kiwis this .....

Not sure if this happens all over NZ but there is a street near us and they really get in the spirit, even if it is not dark & snowing
Attached Thumbnails All things British-dec-05.jpg  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came to NZ on holiday 11 years ago, i didnt like the cadburys chocolate, but it tastes the same as the uk stuff does now which I am not so sure thats a good thing
Do you think so?? My mum puts massive choccy bars in her "goodie parcels" from UK and I still reckon it tastes different. At christmas she put in 2 huge bars of Galaxy.... now that was a treat!!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulGent
As a Cardiff person, I avidly watch every episode of Dr Who - not because I particualrly enjoy the programme but I spend the whole time spotting local landamrks in Cardiff where it's filmed.

How sad is that!
We watch it too.... NZ is a series behind but we have ways and means of watching the uptodate UK episodes... we love it.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the television in NZ, Call me Mr John Bull, but the British programs just seem 100 times more interesting than the bland American series, "Northern Lights" and "Life on Mars" BRILLIANT ! Maybe it is just a question of cultural attachment, maybe not. I can just identify with the characters, the humour and they just seem , well, better made , better scripted and do not rely on just thrills . I like some of the Kiwi programs, after being told how bad the TV is before i arrived, i find the Kiwi humour to be hilarious, well i did live in French culture, where Benny Hill is thought to be the Bees Knees of Brit TV.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:38 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Regarding the television in NZ, Call me Mr John Bull, but the British programs just seem 100 times more interesting than the bland American series, "Northern Lights" and "Life on Mars" BRILLIANT ! Maybe it is just a question of cultural attachment, maybe not. I can just identify with the characters, the humour and they just seem , well, better made , better scripted and do not rely on just thrills . I like some of the Kiwi programs, after being told how bad the TV is before i arrived, i find the Kiwi humour to be hilarious, well i did live in French culture, where Benny Hill is thought to be the Bees Knees of Brit TV.
Mostly I have to agree - Waking the Dead is better I think compared to Cold Case or CSI. I think it's partly to do with the Americans doing 20+ episodes in a season and sometimes dragging it all out too much.

That said I think Heroes has been excellent. E-Ring was great. Also Commander in Chief. The second series of 24 (not seen the rest yet). So there is very good American TV.

Have you seen Outrageous Fortune? We loved that series and it shows NZ can make great comedy drama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.