Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

All things British

All things British

Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default All things British

Now this can be as sad as you make it or not...but its all a bit of fun and to see how patriotic you feel now you no longer live there

Now when you see things on TV that are British, such as TV programmes, or British Music or basically anything British, do you linger and watch it more than you would of done if you were still living in the UK/ Or do you think you will when you move here?

I do more so with music that I see on telly now, and some of the UK programmes....with the exception of Coronation Street ( i cant bear it now and never have been able to)

This is just for a bit of fun...am bored at work and am trying to stop myself fall asleep

Answers on a Postcard please

and you can call me as sad as you like I dont care
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:36 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All things British

Some things, yes but I don't know why!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Some things, yes but I don't know why!
yep same here

and I cant say I was the most patriotic of persons before

at least I am not the only odd person in this world
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice

very nostalgic for all things British including 'Life on Mars', Gordon Ramsay kitchen nightmares and believe it or Postman Pat!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lplate kiwis x4
very nostalgic for all things British including 'Life on Mars', Gordon Ramsay kitchen nightmares and believe it or Postman Pat!
I watch Life on Mars too, have watched some of the Gordon Ramsay but not all

Postman Pat I did say it could be as sad as you want it to be..I am hoping you have a little one

runs of in case they dont
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice

reassuringly I have two little ones (kids that is), but they are just my excuse for postmanpat viewing. I am particulalrly fond of Ted!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a film on video that I taped about 20yrs ago and it also had the news on reporting that the fireman burnt in the Kings Cross underground fire was being let out of hospital, there was also news about ships being shot at in the Gulf and how Prince William was fidgeting in church for the Christmas day service. Then I watched Russ Abbots Xmas special, a series of Eastenders and Only Fools and Horses. It was a right trip down memory lane I can tell you as I had forgotten I even had taped it all and a very xmassy feel to it all compared to the NZ xmas television.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:40 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

The only thing I really miss (and the poor excuse for the alternative product here is crap) is a good old british 13 amp 3 pin plug complete with a safety fuse .Ok I know all new homes has an RCD system but for the older ones .:curse:
As an old colonial outpost why didn`t the kiwis adapt the brit system( and not the 1/2 yank/oz poo plugs and sockets) that is the strongest and safest in the world.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:15 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

I have been away from the UK (Scotland) for many years and always miss:
  • A good British pub
  • Good British fish n chips (after a pint)
  • A good curry
  • The British sense of humour
  • The BBC (as I do not enjoy adverts, for me they have killed TV entertainment)
  • I loved travelling on the trains in the UK
  • The ability to hop on a plane and be in Greece, Spain etc in a few hours
  • Christmas in the UK

There are things that I don’t miss too and that is why we moved to New Zealand instead of going to the UK 2 years ago.

Some of the things I don’t miss - the freedom to say “Happy Christmas” without supposedly offending people
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default All things British

Deleted

Last edited by Nice Guy; Mar 21st 2007 at 9:05 am. Reason: Not a nice thing to say - deleted
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:23 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

There's an "international foods" aisle in a local supermarket here, and if I ever have reason to go there, I have to resist the urge to visit aisle 9... I could easily bankrupt us there. But there's too much chocolate in the British section. I can't resist a good Flake though.

We make our own curries and there are some good curry houses around here, so I really don't miss that.

What I miss is Brit telly... thankfully we have BBC America. We get some of the good programmes, but it's owned by TLC (which also owns the Discovery Channel) so we don't get all the good stuff. Actually we get a remarkably large number of repeats and very very old stuff. We still get the occasional episode of "Coupling" though, which absolutely rules!

Much more than that... well it's been 15 years and I've been back every year, so I get my fill.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Deleted
thats not like you...dont even know what you said

you dont miss britain then?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Campbells
I have been away from the UK (Scotland) for many years and always miss:
  • A good British pub
  • Good British fish n chips (after a pint)
  • A good curry
  • The British sense of humour
  • The BBC (as I do not enjoy adverts, for me they have killed TV entertainment)
  • I loved travelling on the trains in the UK
  • The ability to hop on a plane and be in Greece, Spain etc in a few hours
  • Christmas in the UK

There are things that I don’t miss too and that is why we moved to New Zealand instead of going to the UK 2 years ago.

Some of the things I don’t miss - the freedom to say “Happy Christmas” without supposedly offending people
I sometimes wonder whether people understand why I am laughing sometimes, so am thinking they dont get the brit sense of humour

my OH says he misses not being able to go on a short flight and go to greece etc (and hes a kiwi but been away a long time)

Christmas is definitely different here, not bad just feels different and I have only been here once

the Happy christmas thing in the uk is definitely political correctness gone mad
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cherry
The only thing I really miss (and the poor excuse for the alternative product here is crap) is a good old british 13 amp 3 pin plug complete with a safety fuse .Ok I know all new homes has an RCD system but for the older ones .:curse:
As an old colonial outpost why didn`t the kiwis adapt the brit system( and not the 1/2 yank/oz poo plugs and sockets) that is the strongest and safest in the world.
Hadnt even thought about that one, but each to their own
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lplate kiwis x4
reassuringly I have two little ones (kids that is), but they are just my excuse for postmanpat viewing. I am particulalrly fond of Ted!
thats good that you have little ones...am sure your fondness for Ted is fine...I have a friend in the UK who has a particular fondness for Michaelangelo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.