Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

AHHHH! It's all gone Pete Tong!

AHHHH! It's all gone Pete Tong!

Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Unhappy AHHHH! It's all gone Pete Tong!

Hi There,

Up until Friday we were a happy family, selected from the Pool, awaiting ITA, and planning on being in NZ by November at the very latest.

Then on Friday we received an e-mail from NZ Immigration advising that we had completed our EOI incorrectly and in actual fact only qualified for 105 points, and now will not be receiving our ITA, but instead will be returned to the pool.

We originally completed and submitted an EOI in 2004, and were given an ITA on the back of this, but at that time did not continue with the ITA. When we resubmitted our EOI Dec '06, we had not read the rules closely enough, and had not noticed that the rules had been altered, not allowing us to claim points for work experience when it is not linked to the degree being included. OH has a history degree and 6 years experience in IT.

Now we are a sad family, with 105 point, knowing we have a very slim chance of ever being selected from the pool.

So what to do next? The plan we are considering now is to contact as many job agencies as possible, get CV out to anyone who will take it, and try and line up some interviews. Then get on a plane to NZ for interviews, and try and get a job offer.

Worries about this plan are that we will not be able to line up enough interviews or get a job offer because we do not have a Visa.

So, so bloody fed up! And truly worried that there is no way round this, and we will have to wave goodbye to our dreams. Any thoughts or advice will be gratefully received on how to get ourselves out of this mess.
Many thanks from a v. sad Leighlou.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:35 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AHHHH! It's all gone Pete Tong!

Don't give up!
Keep going!
you're doing the right thing applying for jobs - Mr PD was offered jobs without even going over ( we did cos he wanted to meet the people) but it can be done.

There may be people on here that can tell you if they were selected from the pool with similar points to you as well.

good luck

have some of my cheer up cake

x
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Don't give up!
Keep going!
you're doing the right thing applying for jobs - Mr PD was offered jobs without even going over ( we did cos he wanted to meet the people) but it can be done.

There may be people on here that can tell you if they were selected from the pool with similar points to you as well.

good luck

have some of my cheer up cake

x
Thanks Pixi-dust, trying to stay positive (as no good being anything else anyway). Do you mind me asking what line of work Mr PD is in? Have heard that outside health and teaching not v. easy getting interviews unless already resident. Leighlou (eating cheer up cake - yum)
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Hi There,

Up until Friday we were a happy family, selected from the Pool, awaiting ITA, and planning on being in NZ by November at the very latest.

Then on Friday we received an e-mail from NZ Immigration advising that we had completed our EOI incorrectly and in actual fact only qualified for 105 points, and now will not be receiving our ITA, but instead will be returned to the pool.

We originally completed and submitted an EOI in 2004, and were given an ITA on the back of this, but at that time did not continue with the ITA. When we resubmitted our EOI Dec '06, we had not read the rules closely enough, and had not noticed that the rules had been altered, not allowing us to claim points for work experience when it is not linked to the degree being included. OH has a history degree and 6 years experience in IT.

Now we are a sad family, with 105 point, knowing we have a very slim chance of ever being selected from the pool.

So what to do next? The plan we are considering now is to contact as many job agencies as possible, get CV out to anyone who will take it, and try and line up some interviews. Then get on a plane to NZ for interviews, and try and get a job offer.

Worries about this plan are that we will not be able to line up enough interviews or get a job offer because we do not have a Visa.

So, so bloody fed up! And truly worried that there is no way round this, and we will have to wave goodbye to our dreams. Any thoughts or advice will be gratefully received on how to get ourselves out of this mess.
Many thanks from a v. sad Leighlou.
Hi,
don't give up! But yes on 105 points you really do need a job offer with the offer you will get selected no probs.

What line of work are you both in?
Debbie
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi,
don't give up! But yes on 105 points you really do need a job offer with the offer you will get selected no probs.

What line of work are you both in?
Debbie
Hi Debbie,

Just dropped you a note in another thread (Michelle and Carl). You mentioned to Michelle that your OH got a job through an agency and I was wondering what agency, as was wondering if it would be worth us trying this route too.

OH is Programme (project) Manager in IT and I am staying at home at the moment with the children being under school age, but from a project management back ground in Financial Services originally.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:57 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Get on that internet and start contacting as many agencies as you can. Then get your butts over here and start interviewing. Sounds easy? You want it, get out here and get it!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Get on that internet and start contacting as many agencies as you can. Then get your butts over here and start interviewing. Sounds easy? You want it, get out here and get it!!
You do make me laugh Littletoe - how are the ribs btw? Are you getting back on your feet?

Definitely working on getting our butts out there! Leighlou.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:05 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

You do make me laugh Littletoe - how are the ribs btw? Are you getting back on your feet?

Definitely working on getting our butts out there! Leighlou.
Ribs are KILLING, even the good old opiates aren't helping me. It hurts to move, laugh, type, smile, breath, cough, lie down, sit up. Ah, I'm screwed!! I'm pretty much just on trademe (Kiwi ebay) 24/7, I've gone a bit, Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

But seriously lady, don't give up on your dreams, its still within reach!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Ribs are KILLING, even the good old opiates aren't helping me. It hurts to move, laugh, type, smile, breath, cough, lie down, sit up. Ah, I'm screwed!! I'm pretty much just on trademe (Kiwi ebay) 24/7, I've gone a bit, Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

Thanks Honey for the motivation. We've been planning this for so long that it does not seem right that it can all go wrong now. Just need to find the right way round this that's all. But hugely irritating, frustrating ... blah, blah blah!:curse:

Anyway, sorry that you are still in so much pain. Keep taking the drugs baby. (especially when they are legal opiates hey!) How are your little girls dealing with an out of bounds Mummy?
Sent you some get better soon Karma! Hope it helps. Leighlou.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:37 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pixi-dust, trying to stay positive (as no good being anything else anyway). Do you mind me asking what line of work Mr PD is in? Have heard that outside health and teaching not v. easy getting interviews unless already resident. Leighlou (eating cheer up cake - yum)
I think things are just sent to try us! I wonder if anyone on here has had a simple, straightforward immigration process!! ?

But the job was something that worked out - he's a dentist, surprisingly they're not on the shortage list ( or werent when we applied) but they do seem to be in much demand - also we're not in one of the cities -we're more rural and less people come to live in them I suppose do he got a good few offers.

Keep eating cake!!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:38 am
Sweeeeet!

Thanks Honey for the motivation. We've been planning this for so long that it does not seem right that it can all go wrong now. Just need to find the right way round this that's all. But hugely irritating, frustrating ... blah, blah blah!:curse:

Anyway, sorry that you are still in so much pain. Keep taking the drugs baby. (especially when they are legal opiates hey!) How are your little girls dealing with an out of bounds Mummy?
Sent you some get better soon Karma! Hope it helps. Leighlou.

We faced a lot of hurdles getting here, and many people have. We've faced another bloody hurdle now since we arrived! Its testing, but the determined enough make it. You're going to be fine, you sound positive and its clearly something you really want.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm trying to be out of bounds, but I can't help myself, especially where my 5 month is concerned. My husband is constantly telling me off. Its really hard. Typical, I dream about lounging on the sofa all day being waited on, a break from dirty nappies and washing clothes, but when the opportunity presents itself, I want to be up and about, cleaning, tending to the girls. What a bugger!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

I think that you are right ladies - no immigration process can be easy, otherwise we'd have done it years ago hey!

Well, as it is 3.56 gmt, and my lovely little ones will get up in 4 hours (or less) had better take my cyber cake and try and turn brain off for a few hours.

But thanks for your messages of support. Much appreciated!

Night, night! Lisa.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:18 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I would have thought 'screwed' was the on the list of things you can't do at the moment!
Good grief, you seem to be buying the entire catalogue of Trademe goods! HOW big is your house
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:31 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by karonious
Actually, I would have thought 'screwed' was the on the list of things you can't do at the moment!
Good grief, you seem to be buying the entire catalogue of Trademe goods! HOW big is your house
Yes, my ribs are a good excuse! I've just gotten silly now with trademe, but I do think I've found my calling. I've got stuff that is in such good condition and the people we met were just wonderul, really, really nice. Steve's not too happy, he fears leaving me with the computer, I've got two lounge suites, two dining tables!! hehe! I just can't help myself! People always used to talk about retail therapy and I never got it, but I'm getting trademe therapy!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Debbie,

Just dropped you a note in another thread (Michelle and Carl). You mentioned to Michelle that your OH got a job through an agency and I was wondering what agency, as was wondering if it would be worth us trying this route too.

OH is Programme (project) Manager in IT and I am staying at home at the moment with the children being under school age, but from a project management back ground in Financial Services originally.
Hi responded on the other thread.

I know their are some IT bods on here so they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.