Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advise on which schools and areas of Nelson please.

Advise on which schools and areas of Nelson please.

Old May 7th 2011, 8:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Advise on which schools and areas of Nelson please.

My husband is a vet, so hopefully will get perm work locally or will happily travel to locum.
Really . I would strongly suggest you test this out first. Let me know what you find out. I will test that against what I know.

uk is so crowded. We live in Devon now, which is lovely, but come the summer it's packed to the brim with tourists, and "weekend londoners".
It is the same here.

Have found out that alot of holiday homes are actually lived in but just let out during christmas and summer holidays
Eh ? That's not correct . It may be true for a few but not for the majority. Where on earth are you looking?
Holiday homes are just that . Holiday homes. You can book them online but need to do so in advance.

Try Holiday Homes

Book a Bach

for starters.

I'm a bit surprised by some of your observations given that the OH is a vet. You will not find NZ cheap. It is expensive unless Vets get paid mega here........ I will ask
Old May 7th 2011, 9:21 am
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice

Some people do let their homes over the holiday period while they go on holiday but it can be expensive,its not uncommon to see $300 upwards a day around here over christmas time.
The job situation as I see it around here is, to find work you kind of have to know some one who knows some one to find work, I don't know what it would be like finding work as a vet.As for wages as an example I'm working here for $ what I earn't in pounds in the UK and had to transfer money over on a monthly basis for over six months just to live,when we first arrived,thats on top of a large amount we brought for set up costs.
Bevs right about it being very expensive,houses may look cheaper and may offer much more land, but the build quality isn't anyway near what you will find in the UK.Its easy to get caught in the trap of buying large sections then spending all your time looking after all the land and being a part time farmer in all your spare time.
Enough of the negatives ;if you can afford to live here it is a fantastic place and I'd say there isn't a better place in the world I've been to for bringing a family up.The schools are brilliant ,in general the weather is good and allround its a brilliant lifestyle with so much to see and do.
Old May 7th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Emilou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MOSO
We used www.nelsonholidayhouses.co.nz when we stayed in Nelson on holiday in Jan. They were very helpful and should be able to help you with somewhere.
Have only emailed a couple of owners from this site but the two that I have only rent out over summer and Christmas.
Just googled holiday homes in nelson so am trawling through everything to find something suitable. Usually something else seems to take over, ie, shipping, schools, jobs etc then I give up and try again later.

Have emailed all vet practices in area and they have invited OH to visit when we are over, also they have told us what to expect from salaries, so we are clued up. We know that the "grass isn't greener" in NZ and that we won't be well off. We just would like to try somewhere else to live and allow our children to be children and play more freely than we are able to let them now.

We would like a house with a garden or "some" land, neighbours with a distance and the opportunity to experience a beautiful country for ourselves. Many people talk the talk, but never walk the walk so to speak, we don't want to live our lives with regrets. This is something for all of us.

With regard to OH, he works away from home now all week, so it is something we are used to as a family. If it is necessary he will locum, we have registered with locum agencies and there are plenty of jobs.
Old May 7th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Emilou is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW BEVS is there no end to your talents?
Thanks for all the advice. What do you mean surprised by my observations seeing as OH a vet??