Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice for a UK Truck Driver

Advice for a UK Truck Driver

Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:09 am
Just Joined

tweekielad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a UK Truck Driver

I was all prepared head out to NZ in October with the idea of looking for a job as a truck driver. I now learn that they will be taking the truck driving skill off the issl in Dec 13. I am aware that I would never have been able to apply for residency as a truck driver unless I secured a job with an accredited employer and got the salary of $55000. What I was wondering was if anyone thinks it would still be possible to secure a job before December, the reason I ask is that I will be in Auckland in October and was hoping maybe to get a job offer and then at least I could get the 1 year temp visa and then in a years time see what my options are. Also I was wondering how other truck drivers are been affected by the changes and as this led to a big panic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a UK Truck Driver

I can't recall there being any truck drivers on here but that's not to say there aren't. Obviously if the job is coming off the ISSL then you'll have more issues getting a visa even if you do get a job offer. If you're definite about giving it a go then it will be better to get a job whilst it is still on the ISSL. So the only real option is to come over and give it a go. If you get a job then apply for a work visa, if you don't then see it as a chance for a holiday in NZ.
Good luck