Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice for a UK Qualified Nurse who doesn't meet NZ Registered Nurse criteria

Advice for a UK Qualified Nurse who doesn't meet NZ Registered Nurse criteria

Old Jul 16th 2014, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Mrspeeks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a UK Qualified Nurse who doesn't meet NZ Registered Nurse criteria

Dear all,

I'm a fully qualified UK nurse but without the 2 years experience which is required by the Nursing Council of New Zealand. I was an A&E Support Worker (the first rung to becoming a UK paramedic) before I took up my training to be a nurse, but I understand from the nursing council that that doesn't count towards the required criteria.

My husband and I are moving out to Wellington in August (he's got work sorted so we're not going to starve or anything!).

I'd really appreciate any advice that you might have for someone in my position, in particular on whether
- there are any sorts of nursing roles in NZ where the experience requirements are less stringent;
- anyone else has been in this situation and has found a slightly different career path to pursue;
- there are types of roles that aren't visible online but which I might be able to pick up once we arrive.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a UK Qualified Nurse who doesn't meet NZ Registered Nurse criteria

I think you might have difficulty working around that one.
You have to be registered with the nursing council before you can work in any qualified nursing role in NZ so your only real options are gain the experience in the UK or work in an unqualified nursing assistant type role here (that wont give you any relevant experience towards eventually registering as a nurse here though)
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a UK Qualified Nurse who doesn't meet NZ Registered Nurse criteria

It may be worth contacting Wellington Free Ambulance or St. John as they both provide paramedic/ambulance cover. I think there are emergency responders possibly linked to the Westpac Emergency Helicopter.

There are loads of retirement villages up here on the Kapiti Coast, presumably they recruit nurses?

Hopefully a nurse from Wellington may be able to help you more.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:28 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually contacted the nursing council for an assessment. They may recommend that you do a qualification to gain a certificate to practice. There are courses around aimed at overseas nurses who don't meet the criteria. They will probably cost quite a bit but might be worth doing if you really want to do nursing.

I found this: Certificate in Contemporary NZ Nursing Practice (Overseas Registered Nurses) | EIT Hawke's Bay and Tairāwhiti

Which is not particularly convenient for you but a longer search may turn up other courses. Looks like you need documentation from the council outlining what you are required to do. Assessment is on an individual basis, so they say.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Have you actually contacted the nursing council for an assessment. They may recommend that you do a qualification to gain a certificate to practice. There are courses around aimed at overseas nurses who don't meet the criteria. They will probably cost quite a bit but might be worth doing if you really want to do nursing.

I found this: Certificate in Contemporary NZ Nursing Practice (Overseas Registered Nurses) | EIT Hawke's Bay and Tairāwhiti

Which is not particularly convenient for you but a longer search may turn up other courses. Looks like you need documentation from the council outlining what you are required to do. Assessment is on an individual basis, so they say.
These courses are for nurses who's original course curriculum doesnt match the educational requirements that the NZ nursing council requires, they dont negate the need for 2500hrs of clinical experience needed to register.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:20 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess she has to go back to square one and enrol on a nursing course to qualify again, in NZ.

Last edited by jmh; Jul 17th 2014 at 10:23 am.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

How much are you short? Could you stay on a little longer in the UK to accumulate the required experience?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You could apply for registration as an Enrolled Nurse. If you do not have the 2 years of experience. You still need to pass the IETLS English testing with a score of 7 in all 4 bands, reading, writing, speaking and listening.

An alternative is to apply to a school of nursing in NZ to their Bachelor of Nursing programme and complete years 2 and 3. There are strict rules from NCNZ around what can be credited to you. You would then end up sitting the state final exam to gain NZ registration.

However also remember that unless you have PR, you will be treated as an international student and pay international fees.

Hope this information is of some help.

Gill
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Talk to Tonix the nursing agency if they still exist. They got us out here and were Amazing. We dealt with a lady called Annie if memory serves me correctly. She was wonderful. Good luck