Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on taking the plunge.....!

Advice on taking the plunge.....!

Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Pinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nice
Default Advice on taking the plunge.....!

Hi all

Myself and my husband are researching and considering making the move to nz with our children currently aged 1 & 5. Obviously it goes without saying its a massive decision to make. We are both on the skilled list but not skills shortage. We calculated our points and would have the requisite 140 to get an ITA. I feel like there is so much involved and I guess my question is 2 fold-what order do we do it all in initially? We have looked at areas and like the sound of bay of plenty but it seems there are less job opportunities in this area so are considering Waikato as perhaps offering more in that respect. We have looked at jobs although as a psychotherapist I think I may be more likely to end up working privately. And secondly how did you make the decision? I know you can never be completely certain and doubts are normal but what swung it for you to move and was it the right decision?

Thanks in advance x
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:05 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on taking the plunge.....!

I would look at what you have now and then compare it to what research you have done as to what sort of life you may get out here.
how are you going to support yourself if you gain a visa (140 automatic pull from the expression of interest), but get no jobs, do you have family here, how are you going to feel with little or no support?, are you prepared for the difference in housing stock and higher cost of living?
how do you feel about earthquakes and tsunamis (very rare but possible)?
would a move within the UK benefit you in the same way ?- would be much cheaper.
what are you plans if things do not work out? do you have enough money to move on? do you understand you would not return to what you had but would have to start again, do you understand leaving the UK and being away for a set amount of time (think 3 years) you have basically give up your residential rights to things like free schooling and health care?

do lots and I mean lots of research

for myself personally I do not feel it has benefited me, I have a lower standard of day to day living than I had in the UK, the kids do less activities as everything is just so far away and you have to drive everywhere to get anything. Our experience of primary school education was just plain awful, so much so that the only way out of it was selling and moving areas which was done at a loss. My health has not been good since arriving but I suppose mis management of a problem could of been done in any country.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 17th 2015 at 8:12 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Im not sure there would be much difference in job opportunities between Bay of Plenty and Waikato. Tauranga and Hamilton are similar sized cities although Hamilton has the bigger hospital and therefore I guess may offer more in your line of work. The 2 cities offer different lifestyles though. Tauranga is more beachy and seaside resorty, while Hamilton is inland but more central. Both have about 150000 people I think. I would disregard the comment about earthquakes from the previous poster. I dont think you are any more likely to experience an earthquake in Hamilton as the UK, and only slightly moreso in Tauranga. Rotorua has more of a risk though, and it smells of sulphur as theres lots of thermal activity (if that is the area of BOP you are looking at). I wouldnt disregard Tauranga personally. Its a rapidly growing city with loads of new subdivisions and because of location, has benefits over Hamilton. Depends a lot on what sort of lifestyle you are after.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I think to be fair, Rotorua has the delightful scent in only a handful of select areas. Don't let the fragrance put you off Rotorua.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Tauranga is awesome!
Felt very blessed again today riding from Bethlehem to the Mount and having a hike up to the top. The view is breathtaking. Doesn't matter how many times I do it, each time I feel so privileged to call Tauranga my home ;-)
I agree it may be more difficult to find work up here and you could look at the Waikato as an option. I work in Hamilton but live in Tauranga. 99kM commute and 1hr 10 mins which is fine as it allows me to live here so who cares !!!
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Tauranga is awesome!
We were in Tauranga the other day, my youngest was there to beat the Tauranga club at rugby. As the club is short walk from the city centre, we went for a stroll in to Tauranga afterwards. It was closed! What kind of 'city' is closed at 12.30 on a Sunday? Not an awesome one, I would say...
Old Aug 19th 2015, 6:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bearskin
What kind of 'city' is closed at 12.30 on a Sunday?
Nelson.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
We were in Tauranga the other day, my youngest was there to beat the Tauranga club at rugby. As the club is short walk from the city centre, we went for a stroll in to Tauranga afterwards. It was closed! What kind of 'city' is closed at 12.30 on a Sunday? Not an awesome one, I would say...
Depends what you are hoping to find on a Sunday afternoon ???
Doubt there will be shops open in any city centre on a Sunday afternoon but the bars, cafe's and restaurants should still be, especially the ones down The Strand.

There are shopping centres open on Sundays but you will have to go to Fraser Cove or Bayfair which are open all day every day.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Depends what you are hoping to find on a Sunday afternoon ???
Doubt there will be shops open in any city centre on a Sunday afternoon but the bars, cafe's and restaurants should still be, especially the ones down The Strand.

There are shopping centres open on Sundays but you will have to go to Fraser Cove or Bayfair which are open all day every day.
I really don't know Tauranga at all - we always stay over at the Mount, or our annual week at the beach is at Papamoa. For example, at Mt Maunganui, you can go for a stroll and there might be a little market, or at least 50% of the shops are open, then have a coffee or a bite to eat. On a Sunday. And that's not a city, it's just a regular high street. Browns Bay, our local (and similar) town high street would be the same - certainly "open" on a Sunday.

BEVS, you say Nelson would be the same as Tauranga? I am genuinely surprised...