Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice required - Moving to Christchurch, New Zealand...(Moved to NZ Forum)

Advice required - Moving to Christchurch, New Zealand...(Moved to NZ Forum)

Old May 23rd 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Advice required - Moving to Christchurch, New Zealand...(Moved to NZ Forum)

Hi - I'm new to the forum as my husband has just secured a job in Christchurch!

We are so excited but panic is setting in - I don't know where to start! We have to sell our house and I don't know what I can bring - will my white goods and electrical items work over there or should I sell them here and buy when I arrive?

Also - do I bring my car? There's lots of posts saying yes and no so I'm confused!

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I know about visas although am confused if my husband goes for the work to residence rather than the skilled migrant what do I do, as I don't have a job...... Can I still apply to go with him under the work to residence visa?

I also have 2 elderly cats who I worry may not make the journey due to the stress - has anyone else done this and can offer some help?

Also any ideas on good removal firms?

Cannot wait to get there once we've solved the guilt issues with family lol!
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required - Moving to Christchurch, New Zealand...(Moved to NZ Forum)

Hello...welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread across to the New Zealand forum...so the people actually living in NZ will see your post. Someone will be along shortly to help you...please bear in mind people living in NZ will be getting their zzzzzzz's in for a few more hours.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice required - Moving to Christchurch, New Zealand...(Moved to NZ Forum)

Brilliant thank you - I posted it before I realised I was on the wrong thread and couldn't work out how to move it! Thanks so much x
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinksar
Brilliant thank you - I posted it before I realised I was on the wrong thread and couldn't work out how to move it! Thanks so much x
You were in the correct forum...no worries. The Welcome Inn is for new members to introduce themselves...which you did. I moved your post because it contained quite a lot of detail and it would save you from reposting it in this forum.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and DON'T PANIC (much).

Basically all your questions have been answered in this part of the forum, many times before, have a good read through the past posts.
Yes you can bring white ware, yes it will work. Is it worth it? Depends on brand and age.
As to the car question, same applies. Can be quite a hassle, could save you money in the long run if the car you want to bring is substantially more expensive here.
Lots of other people will be along soon to offer help and advice, but until then I'd do some more reading.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You will see that the general consensus is 'if its in good order, works, and you like it - then bring it'. White goods are very expensive here, so if yours are okay, bring them, also applies to everything really. The only thing to take care on is outside garden stuff, bikes, camping gear etc, just make sure its super clean and then cleaned with jeyes fluid and you will be fine.

With regard to the car, again many people have brought them, really depends on how old and what its worth, if its fairly new, I would bring it, otherwise sell it.

A friend of mine has recently moved to christchurch, she packed the car solid and then shipped the car - she reckoned it worked out cheaper that way rather than having a container full of her stuff and no car.

Animals - depends on their age and health, they need to have a rabies vaccination which has to be done and blood tested (to make sure its taken) 6 months before you can ship them, they then have to go into quarantine once they get here.. Many companies offer this service - its not cheap, so shop around if you decide to take them.

Good luck, any other queries, pls ask.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:05 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Um, we didn't bring our car from UK to NZ. No point, the MOT expired by the time we left and there just wasn't enough value in the old VW Golf to justify the shipping expense.

Some people who have shipped their car to NZ are discouraged from filling it up with their possessions. It may vary from shipping company to shipping company and I'm not trying to deny personal experience.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
A friend of mine has recently moved to christchurch, she packed the car solid and then shipped the car - she reckoned it worked out cheaper that way rather than having a container full of her stuff and no car.

we were advised against this as customs then have to keep the car whilst they sort through all the stuff inside so holds up release time on the car. Also advised that Customs don't like this and often use a fine tooth comb going through the stuff rather than respecting that the professional packers know what is allowed and what is not.

If you're having to ship household you may as well get a a container that will carry the car as well as really doesn't cost that much more.

We bought ours over as had no money to purchase out here and really didn't want to spend out on something we already had.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:18 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I also have 2 elderly cats who I worry may not make the journey due to the stress - has anyone else done this and can offer some help?

Also any ideas on good removal firms?
Regarding your two elderly cats, sorry, you might just have to say goodbye to them, i.e. rehome them. Ask around friends and family, you might be suprised who would like them. Shipping pets is prohibitively expensive. We were, 'lucky' our next door neighbour in Britain had taken a shine to our old cat so he went to live with them to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Regarding removal firms we used PSS and they were very good. It's a two day process getting all your stuff packed, the removal firm will explain how it works.

Just look up removal firms in your local directory. Have them come round and quote.

There's no real or right answers in this emigration game. Please just do what suits you and what you are comfortable with. There really isn't any one-size-fits-all solution for this. Despite any, 'know it all' who thinks that something worked for them so therefore it's the only way to do something.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Two elderly cats

Right, you'd be looking at around a thousand quid to bring them over each. They won't be in quarantine for long due to coming from Britain. Personally i'd give them up and find them new homes. Especially with their age, it'll be unfair on them

Where in Hampshire are you currently based by the way? I'm originally from the county you hit westwards from the M27 - Bournemouth. If allowed, who will your husband be working for?

Visa route, simple - your partner will include you in his application - migrant or residence visa. If a WTR visa, you'll have the freedom to do whatever you want within the time set, unless its residents only.

Can't answer about removals as we just packed our stuff into four bags and got furnished properties. We made the mistake of thinking we'd be better doing that and then buying all the stuff over here when we get our first house. Not going to get much from our house sale in Britain, given the exchange rates. Good for sending money back home, not for bringing money here.

Electrical items are fine, just be sure to get plug adaptors

Lastly, I didn't bring the car and just got one out here instead. Depends again on how much it'll cost to bring it over, then have it in customs for a while. You could give it a thorough deep clean but knowing how customs work here, they'll find something. If they do, you'll get a nice bill to clean or sort out.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wow thank you all so much for your replies. We are running around like loons at the moment! House now on the market so scary stuff!

I'm not looking forward to leaving my cats but I agree its not fair to move them - the upheaval will be too much (

Still not decided re the car - it's a nice car but 10 years old and I love it - one to think about still.

Does anyone have any ideas re removal firms - they seem really expensive from initial chats but have booked a couple of free surveys so that may help.

Thanks again for the comments - sorry I didn't come back straight away - been getting the house ready for sale!

Very excited about the move though :-))
Old May 28th 2013, 8:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

re the car, get in contact with NZ AA, they don't just do breakdown over here they are the place for all things car related, road tax etc. The car needs to meet certain criteria and by giving them chassis and another number, sorry can't remember what its called they can tell you if they think it would be complient. http://www.aa.co.nz/

As for removal companies make sure you read the small print and do not take your insurance out with them, Letton Percival come highly recommended on here
Old May 28th 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

What is the make of the car and how much money are you prepared to spend on repairs? Repairs of European cars can be prohibitively expensive. Spare parts are violently expensive if it is not one of the major car makes driven by Kiwis - I was advised by my mechanic that makes such as Toyota are relatively cheap with regards to spare parts.
Old May 28th 2013, 9:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome.

When you say elderly . How elderly. What age are the pusscats. Have they been with you all their lives?
It would more depend on their fitness and health than their age really.
Old May 28th 2013, 10:57 pm

Wow thank you all so much for your replies. We are running around like loons at the moment!

House now on the market so scary stuff!

I'm not looking forward to leaving my cats but I agree its not fair to move them - the upheaval will be too much (

Still not decided re the car - it's a nice car but 10 years old and I love it - one to think about still.

Does anyone have any ideas re removal firms - they seem really expensive from initial chats but have booked a couple of free surveys so that may help.

Thanks again for the comments - sorry I didn't come back straight away - been getting the house ready for sale!

Very excited about the move though :-))
Regarding your cats it will be another consideration when you are looking for somewhere to rent in NZ. Pets are rarely welcome in rentals. It can sometimes be negotiated but it's just another headache. Your cats know how much you love them and that you will make sure they are taken good care of when they are rehomed.

Your car, well it's up to you but cost of shipping it then getting it roadworthy might just be more trouble than it's worth, Mrs Fychan has supplied the link to the NZ AA.

Just to give you an idea, allow a budget of at least £5,000 for a second hand car. At least that's what I paid for the Mazda Familia I drive, which is a Japanese import from a second hand car dealer. Second hand cars are much more expensive in NZ, the folklore being they hold their value on resale. If it's more economical to bring your car over, then that's up to you. You can get an old, 'crate' you know, an old banger of a car for less than £5k but they are usually old with two litre engines. OK, petrol is about £1 per litre here and car insurance is not compulsory but puleeze !

Regarding shipping companies well, PSS has been mentioned twice as being good. Other than that there's Crown, Pickford etc. There's no point me just rattling off names similar to what you have in your local directory. It cost about £4,000 to ship a 3 bedroom house lot of furniture and possessions from Surrey to Christchurch in 2011.

Don't apologise for being busy, it's kind of a busy time for you right now. Glad you're excited

Just see what estimates you are given. You can play them against each other to get a discount. Regarding insurance just use the current household contents insurance value rather than value each and every thing. Most people use Letton Percival for insurance. We didn't we just accepted the insurance PSS sold us. It was just easier ! More people are, 'on the case' regarding shipping insurance than I was.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 28th 2013 at 11:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.