Advice Please

Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice Please

I have a NZ company showing an interest in me. No job offer yet. The industry is food manufacturing as a process operator. I have years of experience in this role. 10+.
My questions are: Can I eventually move from a TWP to a residents visa, if so then after how many years.
Not having been through further education and as the job is not on any skills shortage list that I can find, is TWP the way to go. Does anyone have any idea what the timescale is for TWP processing at the moment?
The company is not in Auckland and my OH profession is not on the skills shortage list.
If I can secure an offer of employment is there hope?
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please

To get a work permit / visa for an 'unskilled' job the company would have to show that they had advertised and were unable to fill this role with a local. As far as further applications for permanent residency you would need to do an estimate on a points calculator to see if you can get enough points to qualify Bearing in mind circumstances 'if' you were to make it into NZ on a temporary visa and the points this might earn you for a future application.. Does OH have any tertiary education, he may be a better option to apply for permanent skilled visa if so.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 21st 2011 at 9:02 am.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this job, thats what Id want to now.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Where is this job, thats what Id want to now.
Christchurch area.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
To get a work permit / visa for an 'unskilled' job the company would have to show that they had advertised and were unable to fill this role with a local. As far as further applications for permanent residency you would need to do an estimate on a points calculator to see if you can get enough points to qualify Bearing in mind circumstances 'if' you were to make it into NZ on a temporary visa and the points this might earn you for a future application.. Does OH have any tertiary education, he may be a better option to apply for permanent skilled visa if so.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Thanks for reply.

OH is a credit controller, although she has a couple of A levels she doesn't have any occupation qualifications. Like me she has loads of experience in her role.

Not sure that this will make any difference!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:10 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Big hurdles for the employer to jump through unless they are accredited, have you checked whether they are willing to jump through them, quite possible that they will be expecting you to magically get a work permit first, which you can´t do.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Big hurdles for the employer to jump through unless they are accredited, have you checked whether they are willing to jump through them, quite possible that they will be expecting you to magically get a work permit first, which you can´t do.
Yes, I mentioned this to them in an e-mail a couple of hours ago asking if they were pre-approved etc.
This is quite a large corporation, not a one man band so surely they should know the in's and out's of immigration.
Waiting on there reply.

Cheers
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
You can go onto the NZ Gov web site and it will give you a list of accredited companies that can give you work application.
it takes 2 mins to find them by category or company name..

I just applied for a work to residence visa which should allow you to work and then apply for residence after 2 years...

OH I don't know, but I have friends who moved with her qualifications and job offer, he then arrived with no job (he's a chippy) then applied for a visa to work once in NZ and was approved on her visa.

Hope that helps...
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:58 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
OH I don't know, but I have friends who moved with her qualifications and job offer, he then arrived with no job (he's a chippy) then applied for a visa to work once in NZ and was approved on her visa.

Hope that helps...
He would have qualified under the partner stream, if approved it doesnt matter what trade he has