Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - going home to UK

Advice needed - going home to UK

Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

lsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nice
Default Advice needed - going home to UK

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, I have been lurking about in the background picking up good info. We are at the moment living in Tauranga but are going home hopefully next week, I have two reps coming round today re shipping, just wondered if anyone has had any experience with them? they are The moving company, and NZ Vanlines, they have both quoted about the same on the phone.

Lesley
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:15 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - going home to UK

Lesley

Hi, we used NZ Vanlines for our move to NZ and they were very good. But I know that can depend on the particular team you get, so have a good chat to them both and try to work out how experienced and professional they seem (easier said than done, I know).

Anyway, good luck with your move.

ps. love to hear your story when you have a mo.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

lsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nice

Hi Southener,
We moved over here exactly 12 months ago, Me,my hubby and two children (ages 10 and 17), well as you can probably imagine, my 17 year old cried every minute of the day until we eventually sent her back, (wrong age) she lives with her grandparents and is fine, but we have never been able to settle without her. It also hasn't helped us not being able to earn decent money, as my hubby is a Welder and we did ok in the UK, we didn't buy our own house as we felt we would be working just to pay the mortgage. We love the place it's very beautiful, but unfortunately that isn't enough to keep us here, so hopefully we will be back in the UK in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the reply
Lesley
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

we used Crown to NZ from Scotland and NZ van lines from NZ to Scotland. I would NEVER use Vanlines again. Only went with them as they were cheaper but as with everything, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with the move home.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nomad,
We did research before we came out, but didn't realise the extremity of it until we got here, absolutely no regrets, rather have given it a go than lived to regret it. As for 17 year olds, I think wherever they live there's always some who want to leave because the grass seems greener on the other side, don't think thats any reflection on NZ.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lsmethurst
Hi Nomad,
We did research before we came out, but didn't realise the extremity of it until we got here, absolutely no regrets, rather have given it a go than lived to regret it. As for 17 year olds, I think wherever they live there's always some who want to leave because the grass seems greener on the other side, don't think thats any reflection on NZ.
Great stuff! You gave it a go which is a lot more than others do. Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:13 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phil01
Great stuff! You gave it a go which is a lot more than others do. Good luck!
We used Britannia & NZ Vanlines & both were really good IMHO. You take your chances as they say! If you want to save some bucks, a huge amount of the cost is packing & packaging and we still have all the boxes from when we moved if you want to DIY? We are only in Papamoa, buyer collects! Free!!!!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Hello Loolah,

We really don't want the hassle of the DIY business, but thanks for the offer, I have just had an even cheeper quote from a company called, world moving and storage based in Auckland, they connect with Anglo Pacific in the UK, is there anyone out there experienced there services? Have you met Gail and Dougie yet? (nice people)?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Congratulations on having been brave enough to give it a go. Hope your move back to the UK goes well - and the last year will be a great story for your mates in the pub!! Karma for your move!

Alison
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you all. You made the bravest decision in the first place-you've done more than 99.9% of the population.