Advice needed

Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

saraandlucy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

Hello everyone!
I am a single Mum to a 9 year old called Lucy. I am an Operating Department Practitioner in England at the moment but am seriously considering moving to New Zealand. Would love to hear from anyone who has 'been there, done that' or is currently doing it. Would greatly appreciate an insight into cost of living, house prices, schools and community groups which may be available for Lucy and I to combat the homesickness. Would also like to hear how they felt/feel as I'm finding it all a bit daunting. Any advice very welcome.
Thanks
Sara
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

Originally Posted by saraandlucy
Hello everyone!
I am a single Mum to a 9 year old called Lucy. I am an Operating Department Practitioner in England at the moment but am seriously considering moving to New Zealand. Would love to hear from anyone who has 'been there, done that' or is currently doing it. Would greatly appreciate an insight into cost of living, house prices, schools and community groups which may be available for Lucy and I to combat the homesickness. Would also like to hear how they felt/feel as I'm finding it all a bit daunting. Any advice very welcome.
Thanks
Sara
Hi Sara,

Those of us over here, have all been through it... but with BE weall have each other which has helped immensly. COst of living is high, but at the moment where isn't with fuel and food prices going up daily. House prices range from where you want to live... here in Welly, you can get good 3 bed houses from $350k and 4 bed from $400k, but they are coming down and it's a buyers market. In our experience Schools have been fantastic, full of after school clubs and such to keep kids busy and allow parents to work, will some very good holiday programme schemes as well... well they do in our area... as for homesickness, i haven't experienced it yet, but that might be a little to do with family already having been out to see us in our first year and the friends we have made to combat the effects of loneliness. I'm sure if you go for it you'l love it. Ask away with the questons.... someone will always answer! I did...

best wishes

Simon
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:11 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sara

I can't really help as we don't have children here but I have a sister Lucy (and an aunt & three cousins and my grandmother was also Lucy) so I just wanted to say good luck Which part of the country are you thinking of settling in?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:37 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

You're very brave! But good on you for trying such an adventure! Have posted some links below which may or may not be useful. Cost of living is quite high at the moment and salaries can be variable depending on where you live/work, obviously main cities paying more than less populated/rural areas, but with it being a health job I don't know if the rates of pay are done on a national scale? And it depends on your personal circumstances too, if you are going to be mortgage free, or only need a small mortgage. If you were earning around 70k NZ$ and mortgage free that would be really good for just you and one child. I think the average Kiwi wage is around 40-50k NZ$.

www.cdhb.govt.nz
www.realestate.co.nz
www.educationpages.co.nz
http://www.localeye.info/pages?catId...o-nc/Newcomers

Hope these help
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:44 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
You're very brave! But good on you for trying such an adventure! Have posted some links below which may or may not be useful. Cost of living is quite high at the moment and salaries can be variable depending on where you live/work, obviously main cities paying more than less populated/rural areas, but with it being a health job I don't know if the rates of pay are done on a national scale? And it depends on your personal circumstances too, if you are going to be mortgage free, or only need a small mortgage. If you were earning around 70k NZ$ and mortgage free that would be really good for just you and one child. I think the average Kiwi wage is around 40-50k NZ$.

www.cdhb.govt.nz
www.realestate.co.nz
www.educationpages.co.nz

Hope these help

Welcome and good on you.

Any idea of what area you are thinking of moving too. Can't really go wrong no matter where you choose.

Check out main forum go back a few pages has a good thread on what it actually costs, sort of May maybe April time.

Recent news bulletin said average family income is $72,000 with 2 working adults and another that said average family income is $64,000 with 2 working adults.

Pauline
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

Hi
My husband is an ODP too and has been quoted 60,000nzd which we are hopeing is good. We are a family of 4 two adults and kids of 20yrs and 16yrs. We will be moving out there in two years when our son finishes university and our daughter finishes her A levels.
Not sure where we're planning on settling yet, everywhere looks nice so can't decide on a location at the moment. There are also so many jobs available for ODP's that you are alittle spoilt for choice.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
Hi
My husband is an ODP too and has been quoted 60,000nzd which we are hopeing is good. We are a family of 4 two adults and kids of 20yrs and 16yrs. We will be moving out there in two years when our son finishes university and our daughter finishes her A levels.
Not sure where we're planning on settling yet, everywhere looks nice so can't decide on a location at the moment. There are also so many jobs available for ODP's that you are alittle spoilt for choice.
Looks like that's the kind of salary you can expect then BUT coming here as a stand alone parent is going to be much harder than coming as a couple with 2.4 children and I don't think you should underestimate that aspect in being far removed from your support network. Most posters on this website are couples so the potential loneliness of having a lack of another adult to share the adventure with, wouldn't apply for them.

It depends on you though I suppose and whether you have a decent support network/job satisfaction/comfy life where you are now. Certainly financially you could be coming to a harder situation than you currently have...research research...there is no tax free allowance for instance, you pay tax on every dollar earned.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Hi Sara,

Those of us over here, have all been through it... but with BE weall have each other which has helped immensly. COst of living is high, but at the moment where isn't with fuel and food prices going up daily. House prices range from where you want to live... here in Welly, you can get good 3 bed houses from $350k and 4 bed from $400k, but they are coming down and it's a buyers market. In our experience Schools have been fantastic, full of after school clubs and such to keep kids busy and allow parents to work, will some very good holiday programme schemes as well... well they do in our area... as for homesickness, i haven't experienced it yet, but that might be a little to do with family already having been out to see us in our first year and the friends we have made to combat the effects of loneliness. I'm sure if you go for it you'l love it. Ask away with the questons.... someone will always answer! I did...

best wishes

Simon
Thanks for your advice which was really useful and for taking the time to reply to my thread.
Regards
Sara
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi Sara

I can't really help as we don't have children here but I have a sister Lucy (and an aunt & three cousins and my grandmother was also Lucy) so I just wanted to say good luck Which part of the country are you thinking of settling in?
Hi
Not sure where to settle, so many things I have yet to consider. Thanks for replying I appreciate it.
Regards
Sara
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

www.cdhb.govt.nz
www.realestate.co.nz
www.educationpages.co.nz

Hope these help
Thanks so much for the advice and websites. I appreciate it.
Regards
Sara
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by howden40
Welcome and good on you.

Any idea of what area you are thinking of moving too. Can't really go wrong no matter where you choose.

Check out main forum go back a few pages has a good thread on what it actually costs, sort of May maybe April time.

Recent news bulletin said average family income is $72,000 with 2 working adults and another that said average family income is $64,000 with 2 working adults.

Pauline
Thanks for replying Pauline. Not sure where I'll end up but I'll certainly look forward to looking around until I find 'the place'.
Really appreciate your reply.
Regards
Sara
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
Hi
Good Luck to you and let me know how you get on. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.
Regards
Sara
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Looks like that's the kind of salary you can expect then BUT coming here as a stand alone parent is going to be much harder than coming as a couple with 2.4 children and I don't think you should underestimate that aspect in being far removed from your support network. Most posters on this website are couples so the potential loneliness of having a lack of another adult to share the adventure with, wouldn't apply for them.

It depends on you though I suppose and whether you have a decent support network/job satisfaction/comfy life where you are now. Certainly financially you could be coming to a harder situation than you currently have...research research...there is no tax free allowance for instance, you pay tax on every dollar earned.
Thanks for replying and for your advice - I really appreciate it.
Regards
Sara