Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice for a midwife

Advice for a midwife

Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:11 am
Just Joined

NZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really nice
Default Advice for a midwife

Hi all,

I am looking for any advice people may have. My partner & I are hoping to move to NZ in the next year or 2 and wading through the usual moutain of forms.

I work in Information Security and score over 140 in my own right but my partner is a community midwife so we are working on the assumption that she may have a higher chance of getting a job offer than me.

Does anyone have any experience of working in midwifery and the prospects of job offers?

We dont have our hearts set on any particular area and the more rural the better as far as we are concerned. I am willing to take any work I can get be it in IT or going back to teaching rock climbing so hoping that a bit of flexibility may help.

Cheers

Jon
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a midwife

Hi Jon

Im a midwife and moving over to NZ in 5 weeks time.

I found gaining a job offer pretty easy. I did end up going through a recruitment agency (free and I found them very helpful) although I also contacted a few places independently before going down that route.
I also had no specific area of NZ in mind so I was able to give the recruitment agency an idea of how I wanted to work and they found me a few options that provided that kind of service and I took it from there.

You've probably looked into all this already but your partner would also have to go through obtaining NZ Midwifery Registration. Its a kinda 'paperwork' heavy process but not all that bad, I can give you more details if you need them.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any specific questions and I'm more than happy to help.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:56 am
Just Joined

NZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really niceNZ_Hopeful is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

You've probably looked into all this already but your partner would also have to go through obtaining NZ Midwifery Registration. Its a kinda 'paperwork' heavy process but not all that bad, I can give you more details if you need them.
Yes, she is currently working through the registration forms at the moment. She has been looking at midwifery in NZ and has got very excited about it as she has mainly worked in midwife led practice.

Do you have the contact details of the recruitment agency you used?

Thanks

Jon
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:03 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ_Hopeful
Do you have the contact details of the recruitment agency you used?
Jon, my OH used http://www.tonix.co.nz/ ,and has found them very helpful and professional throughout, they are arranging a meet at the airport and assistance thereafter - all for free to the candidate... pm me for the contact name if you are interested. They are currently listing quite a few midwife positions.

HTH...