Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on importing cats please!!!

Advice on importing cats please!!!

Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

dakili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on importing cats please!!!

Hello
Well we are nearly there but I am just getting confused with some of the forms etc.
Good news is we have done all the rabies stuff and got the import permit etc. In 9 days they have their final check up, parasite treatments and the vet will complete Section A of the export cert.

I am happy with most of the info required but are getting told different things so would love to have someone who has gone through this process answer a couple of questions if they can

First I got the guidance doc from the MPI website NZ and it is very similar to the questions raised on the export document (I have speciman copy). Vet thinks both have to be completed, advice I got implies just the export doc is required - I have emailed MPI but they have not answered the question.

In order to get the import cert the vet gave copies of all the rabies stuff and certified it etc, same vet practice, different vet, now does the new vet have to do all this again or CAN I use the one done for the import cert??

And finally the instructions advise all documents should be original unless specified - I have a certified copy of the Rabies test result is this ok?

I read these things all the time and they can be so vague - sorry for silly questions and thanks for any help out there.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on importing cats please!!!

Hi Dakili
It was suggested I take a look at your post and I've had a quick read round but I haven't done any exports from the UK for many years and the rules have changed a lot since then. I've mainly been doing exports from NZ so I don't know how much help I will be. I probably should add that I am a veterinary surgeon.

One thing I will say is that a certified copy of the rabies result and the vaccination should be acceptable. I have certified copies for people where the vaccine certificate has been lost and the vet who gave the vaccine has left the practice or been on holiday. I have never had any issues with this. As long as the vet who took the blood or gave the vaccine noted down all the correct info then it should be fine, you can't always get the same vet to fill in a copy or replacement, it wouldn't be practical.

Are you going through an exporter or doing it yourselves? It would probably be better to ask the exporter what is necessary. The ones I have dealt with are always very up to date on what is needed.
The problem is that I am loathe to give any advice that could be construed as 'professional' when I'm not up to date on the current rules, especially since the ramifications of me getting it wrong could cost you so much
When it comes to export/import of animals it's not possible to remember everything about every country unless it's something you actually do in your day to day job!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for taking the time to come back to me. I have asked our exporter but they are really only doing the flight booking and organising the airport vet so I think they are up to date and he says just the export cert is needed but then my vet thinks both parts are so that threw me!!!
Anyway I have written a big email to the UK side DEFRA so hope they can help and I think I may be a bit cheeky and ring another place for advice - I will just explain my situation and are sure they won't mind giving some free advice. Generally people are kind.
Again thanks for your help and I fully appreciate how difficult it can be to give advice when you are an expert but how careful you have to be.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:35 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I took my time in answering so I could do some searching but you're right, it's not that clear. The impression I got was that the import cert was needed but as I said I'm not in the 'know' atm!
We do get given full guidelines and official places to look on what needs doing but I don't have access to them unfortunately. I am off work at the moment.
Thanks for being so understanding about my skirting around the issue. I realise that my advice could be seen to carry more weight which has meant that I've actually said very little at all
When you get an answer, please come back and update this thread. It's always useful to know stuff like this and it will help others in the future.

I'm sure there must be someone on here who has imported a cat or dog recently
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you have looked at this:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter.../cats-and-dogs
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Zuzuspetals is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we've just imported our cats (we've been reunited a week now ) and our exporter was really great so we didn't have the worry you seem to be having.
I'd go back to your exporter and get them to check the paperwork that you have and what paperwork they need that will travel all the way with the cats.
The checking of paperwork was included in the process with our exporter and I would assume that to be normal as they can't book the flights/ send the cats unless everything is in order.
Our cats have "European passports" and all the treatments where noted in here. We left before our cats, so they boarded with the exporters who took them to the vets for the final treatment.
Sorry, I can't give you a clear answer apart from check with your exporter.

And to reassure you, our cats made the journey with no problems, even our 17 year old!
Good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I admit. I've read this and am puzzled. Most animal UK exporters sort everything from start to finish.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hello All

I have emailed Defra - to try to get a clear answer. To be fair to my exporter they have been great and I have not yet got delivery of the box yet and I believe get some info with that. They have told me clearly it is NOT needed to fill in the guidance doc that MPI have as it is all covered in the export permit - which makes complete sense. It is just that my vet thought the guidance doc also had to be completed.
I just wanted to get a further opinion as MPI is a bit vague and have not answered my query with a straight yes or no. So that is why I am concerned.
I will post on my progress over the next week and what reply I get from Defra. At least I will be an "expert" by the time it is finished and will be able to give advice at least for 6 months or so until the rules change again!!!!
Also I have found that the different pet exporters do different things and the prices reflected this.
Thanks for all the help given.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

So glad your cats got over there well. I am a bit worried but ours are only 8 years old so should all be fine. I have booked Pethaven for their quarantine and feel happy with this as they have been great to deal with and have said while we are travelling on our way there they will send photos.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Zuzuspetals is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you will be an expert!
Good luck with it all.
Getting photos sounds great

I'm sure we worry more than the cats; mine are happily lounging in the sun now, I bet they don't even realise they are now in the southern hemisphere!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Well the cats flew out yesterday (thankfully missed the Big Storm). They are in the air now! Poor things.

Have lots to mention re how it went which I will update later and I do feel I have learnt a lot.

Feel a lot less stressed now and it is nice to have had contact with people at Pethaven where they go when they land.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:53 am
`

What is the name of your actual UK pet exporter please. You haven't said. It would help, as you have made it all sound so much more complicated than it usually is.

How much has it all cost please in the end?

It would be good to compare your total costs , time, running around and confusions with paperwork to the actual costs of going with a tried and tested door to door pet export service.

Thanks

For anyone out there. Here are pet quarantine services

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 29th 2013 at 7:47 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:59 am
`

MAF is your guide to importing your pets to NZ . However, any interntional pet exporter worth their salt will be able to guide pet owner step by step through the processes required .

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 29th 2013 at 7:48 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

We adopted some animals from people who making the move overseas (from NZ to UK) and are happy to offer their lovely wee babies a happy home. Have sent them photos and updates. I know people love their pets - so all the best for your trials with the cats.